Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Planning Katy Trail trip and need help

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Planning Katy Trail trip and need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-17, 07:47 PM
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
104*F on the bank clock in St. Louis today 7/21 6:00PM, bike is parked. So am I. Very few bikes out. Very few anything out. Passed another sign, it had 102*F.
Old 07-21-17, 09:03 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
The problem is that your water just gets too hot for your body to process efficiently. Best to put such trips off for cooler part of the year.
Huh? Water becomes 98.6 degrees (F) pretty much within a couple of minutes after drinking it. That's what your body wants to process efficiently for body hydration.

I'll agree drinking cold water will cool you, when you are hot, and hot water will warm you when cold, via thermodynamics, but hydration is another thing.
Old 07-22-17, 04:26 AM
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Huh? Water becomes 98.6 degrees (F) pretty much within a couple of minutes after drinking it. That's what your body wants to process efficiently for body hydration.

I'll agree drinking cold water will cool you, when you are hot, and hot water will warm you when cold, via thermodynamics, but hydration is another thing.

But water is not at 98 when it is 110 out. It is at 110 in the bottle. And "a couple of minutes" is a very long time when it comes to the body. Cold water is absorbed much faster in the intestine than hot water.

If you were constantly drinking and/or drinking before your are thirsty then I would agree that it probably isn't going to make too much difference but that does not always happen.

Edit: I guess after thinking about it, you can't carry enough water (at least not practically) that is needed when it is really hot. and the Katy does not have an awful lot of sources of drinkable water.

Last edited by spinnaker; 07-22-17 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-22-17, 07:58 AM
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
The best thing for it, is popsicles, when they're available. 😁 I'm hanging out by the state fairgrounds today, where there are several places to eat, including a Dairy Queen. 😋