Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your bucket list bike? What's yours?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your bucket list bike? What's yours?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-16, 09:24 PM
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I've never really fantasized or romanticized the frame too much over time. I really do like the mass produced carbony goodness that all of the big guys slather all over. That being said i have seen some good ones that gave me a tiny bit of envy.

Boo cross bike...but then my women's team manager bought one so I get to see it often and it's not as much of an untouchable object of desire that it once was.

So....I would love a moots. All around roadie build.

Sachs. Not because I have any special affinity for steel bikes but Richard is a good guy. Actually a helluva good guy. Great for the sport and a real straight shooter for the industry. His passion for what he does is no secret. He has personally helped so many of my racers, friends, etc.

I know this thread is supposed to be about stuff to lust after while stuck at your desk looking for anything else to do except what you have to do to get paid but...Sachs. He's a good dude.

Old 04-14-16, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I always wanted a Gazelle Champion Mondial,

and a '90s Spec Allez- shiny red, before they got ugly & stupid looking for a while.
Old 04-15-16, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nothing came to mind, until I read @bmthom.gis comment about how "it would be nice to have S&S couplers so I could take it traveling with me," which reminded me of this.
It's interesting to explore the boundaries of the possible - the highest, best and most beautiful and all that - but I don't really like the idea of finding things to covet, and find so much talk about "bucket lists" tiresome. Nevertheless, there are times I think of a more ideal life I might lead, and in that life, I'd have a bike like this.

Last edited by kbarch; 09-29-18 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-15-16, 06:50 AM

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of my bucket list bikes, i havent ridden it yet tho.

S Works Tarmac with Campy Super Record.

The next one will be a colnago master with SR as well.
Old 04-15-16, 07:58 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
Sachs....I can't wait 5 years for a frame.

So many possible responses to this comment running through my head right now, but all of them have the potential to be misinterpreted by you and/or Mr. Sachs

I will say that, having just taken delivery of my Sachs ~4 weeks ago, the notion of another bucket list bike is almost laughable.

...almost.

I guess it's not too hard to dream of a Crumpton SL with internal Di2 and Lightweight tubulars as my next bucket list bike.
Old 04-15-16, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I'd like to try a Tarmac Pro? I mean, I'm sure all of those higher end bikes are nice. I don't think I'd have to really pick JUST ONE brand or one specific bike.. more like get me to 15lbs, carbon, di2... not sure what else you're really going to pick up on from a 5k to 12k bike?
Old 04-15-16, 08:22 AM
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A simple mountain bike so I can ride some of the trails near my house.
Old 04-15-16, 08:23 AM

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
not a lot of imagination here, in fact you guys are damn boring...
Lets try to spice this thread up with some dreamy bikes... here re a few im saving my pennies for one day... cuz when you dream, you gotta dream big.

[IMG]Beautiful Bicycle: BAUM Cycles Corretto Road by John watson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Maybe some fireflyFF-524-Studio-1 by Firefly Bicycles, on Flickr[/IMG]FF-524-Studio-1 by Firefly Bicycles, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 04-15-16, 08:35 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I'm kinda lusting after mountain bikes now so those are taking up spaces on the bucket list, but I would really like a Trek Emonda SLR project one with Dura Ace di2 and nice stiff carbon wheels.
Old 04-15-16, 08:48 AM

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
A Pegoretti with disc's (which I am not even sure he would so). Or an incredibly high end Ti with discs (Seven, Moots, Ericksen, Firefly, etc), and a full Campy EPS with hydro discs. I know they aren't out yet, and I do not know if they will be as good as Shimano (unlikely, unfortunately, as Shimano has the best disc brakes I have ever used), but that would be really cool. Wide clearance so it can run gravel tires, geometry similar to a Lynskey R230. That would be a bucket list bike for sure.
Old 04-15-16, 08:54 AM

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
theres more too:
Kualis
[IMG]DSC_0712 by KUALIS, on Flickr[/IMG]

Eriksen
[IMG]NAHBS 2012 by BLUE LUG, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 04-15-16, 09:14 AM

Bikes: '96 Tommasini Tecno, '02 Lemond Victoire, '13 All City Nature Boy, '22 Specialized Fuse

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lots of Ti in this thread... which is my dream bike sitting at home right now. Not to start a frame material war, but the seemless welds, raw metallic finish of a quality Ti road bike are timeless. My 01 victoire is as sexy today as it was 15 years ago and doesn't look that different from these bikes. She may like a new 2106 groupset, but as do we all.
Old 04-15-16, 09:44 AM

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MZilliox
not a lot of imagination here, in fact you guys are damn boring...
Lets try to spice this thread up with some dreamy bikes... here re a few im saving my pennies for one day... cuz when you dream, you gotta dream big.

[IMG]Beautiful Bicycle: BAUM Cycles Corretto Road by John watson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Maybe some fireflyFF-524-Studio-1 by Firefly Bicycles, on Flickr[/IMG]FF-524-Studio-1 by Firefly Bicycles, on Flickr[/IMG]
they ya go man!! i want more Donald Trump bikes!! if the donald was a cyclist... you know he did have a tour once... Tour de Trump.. or Drumph.. is you follow last week tonight..
Old 04-15-16, 12:19 PM

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think I'd like the highest level of the Jamis Renegade, but I'd want to put Sram Force 1X on it...and maybe sram's new 12 speed cassette/Derrailer to go with it.
Old 04-15-16, 12:57 PM
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
So many possible responses to this comment running through my head right now, but all of them have the potential to be misinterpreted by you and/or Mr. Sachs
just googled him again. from when the idea first spun into my head.. until now...apparently the assumed wait time reached 7,10 years, or that now he no longer takes orders?

bizarre

i have now a de rosa in faema red very very similar to the classic sachs frame in colorway and aesthetics.

paying for and then receiving things gives a human sense of gratification. cant fathom committing on anything consumer/material in the world with a payoff gulf that long...not for a car, not for a house, not for some life-changing-but-yet-to-know technology... certainly not for a bicycle

(but congrats on yours. looks fantastic)
Old 04-15-16, 01:55 PM

Bikes: Viner Mitus 0.6

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dream bike at the moment is a cutom painted wyndymilla Foo Fighter with Sram Etap.
Old 04-15-16, 03:13 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
I'm always torn about these. The problem is I'm sure I don't have a single bucket list bike.

I'd love something like Baum Ti frame with painted accents on a satin or matte frame.
There's something special about the Colnago name and especially the paint.
But can those really compete with the latest uber-frames from Cannon/Spesh/Trek?

Thus the dilemma. I'm too much of a tech geek to never get wanderlust about the next uber-bike (damn you Speciallissma!).
Old 04-15-16, 03:35 PM

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Titanium frame, campy drive train, and good wheels
Old 04-15-16, 03:52 PM

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix EVO, 2015 CAAD10, 2006 Eddy 7-11, 2006 Orbea Onyx, 2005 Specialized Allez Cro-mo, 2017 Niner RDX RDO

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a few years back the EVO had some of the best paint schemes ever. a di2 of one of the variants with red accents would be excellent

https://coresites-cdn.factorymedia.co...HiMod-2013.jpg
Old 04-15-16, 04:09 PM

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix EVO, 2015 CAAD10, 2006 Eddy 7-11, 2006 Orbea Onyx, 2005 Specialized Allez Cro-mo, 2017 Niner RDX RDO

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
I'm always torn about these. The problem is I'm sure I don't have a single bucket list bike.

I'd love something like Baum Ti frame with painted accents on a satin or matte frame.
There's something special about the Colnago name and especially the paint.
But can those really compete with the latest uber-frames from Cannon/Spesh/Trek?

Thus the dilemma. I'm too much of a tech geek to never get wanderlust about the next uber-bike (damn you Speciallissma!).
i would think that at the top levels of everyone's line all the bikes are great. i'd bet the colnago c60 is every bit as good as the EVO, Tarmac and the other way around. i'll bet at that level it's all preference.
now, i've not owned all the superbikes to compare, so...i could be nuts!
Old 04-15-16, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, it will be Ti with a SRAM Force group. No interest in carbon here. I have local dealers for Seven and Moots, right now I'm leaning towards a plain Moots Vamoots. Nothing too fancy, just a solid bike that will last for quite some time and allow me to run different component groups if I feel the need for something different.

Last edited by 92Esquire; 04-15-16 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-15-16, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
For me, I just want to own three bikes: one Italian (well, European...), one Japanese, and one American, built with components from that country so I can see what they have to offer. Built with steel, unique paint jobs, and shiny components, all brand new. I own the Italian, a De Rosa Nuovo Classico with Athena 11 that drops jaws. I've just found the Japanese frame and components I want and will order that soon, but American I'm drawing a blank on. SRAM only makes things in black which I'm not a fan of, and the American frame builders I've looked in to don't really impress me, especially with the exorbitant amount they charge. I'll keep digging, though.
Old 04-15-16, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by topslop1
I'd like to try a Tarmac Pro? I mean, I'm sure all of those higher end bikes are nice. I don't think I'd have to really pick JUST ONE brand or one specific bike.. more like get me to 15lbs, carbon, di2... not sure what else you're really going to pick up on from a 5k to 12k bike?
Go BIG, S Works or Bust
Old 04-15-16, 07:33 PM
-:-

Bikes: Moots Vamoots CR

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got mine - Moots with Chris King all around, Ultegra 6800, Stans with triple butted Sapim spokes and Vittoria tires, and Enve fork.

Old 04-15-16, 10:55 PM

Bikes: A few too many

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well it was when I was seven.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.