Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Incredible score - $40 Strida Mark I aluminum belt drive folder

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Incredible score - $40 Strida Mark I aluminum belt drive folder

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-22, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
STO File and company for 3D print

Hi,

Could you give me the sto file for the stem in order to ask for a 3D print ?
Which company do you use for the 3D print ?

Great job !!!!

Regards,
Philippe
Old 07-16-22, 09:44 AM

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Phd84
Hi,

Could you give me the sto file for the stem in order to ask for a 3D print ?
Which company do you use for the 3D print ?

Great job !!!!

Regards,
Philippe
Absolutely! You can find it here: https://grabcad.com/library/strida-top-joint-pair-1

Note that Mark Sanders has additional replacement parts on GrabCAD as well.

I printed it in ASA at a local university for $42.

Thanks! Good luck :-)

Jon
Old 07-16-22, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Must have been hyped in the Industrial Design community. The ID director at my work commutes on one of these. He calls it "Vlad the Impaler"

Nice score!
ID guys always looking for the next bike.

with a lower saddle height the pedal position is kind of Electra Townie
Old 07-16-22, 02:14 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 837 Posts
"There's a factory model, the Evo, with a Sturmey-Archer three-speed bottom bracket gearset."

I remember when those first came out, and I suggested a bracket-mounted transmission to their marketing department. I guess they actually did that at some point -- good for them!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-16-22, 04:10 PM

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Originally Posted by John E
"There's a factory model, the Evo, with a Sturmey-Archer three-speed bottom bracket gearset."

I remember when those first came out, and I suggested a bracket-mounted transmission to their marketing department. I guess they actually did that at some point -- good for them!
They sure did! The Strida Evo 3. I'd grab one if they weren't so dang expensive!
Old 08-05-22, 07:17 PM

Since the last update, I did some more upgrades! I replaced old tires that failed at the bead (boom) with brand spanking new whitewalls and finally figured out how to raise the seat. I also figured out how to not only fold the bike quickly but store it in an upright position like a stroller or umbrella by locking the wheels with the handlebar laces. More photos soon.

Edit: Just replaced the video link because it seems like something was wrong with the old one.

Last edited by molleraj; 08-06-22 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Replacing video link
Old 08-06-22, 08:35 AM

I'm going to get some quick footage of me riding the fun thing today.
Old 08-06-22, 10:32 AM

Before I share the videos, I thought I'd show how compactly these fold up. Based on videos about the Strida and knowing Mark Sanders personally, they are inspired by strollers and it shows in the folded up bike. I rode mine to the local Colombian restaurant to pick up some empanadas for the family. The empanadas fit great in my tie bag (I don't know how to explain, one of those simple bags with straps around your arms).

At The Arepa Place in Wyoming

Folded up with brakes locked by the trash can

Closeup of the folded, parked Strida. Aesthetics of umbrellas and strollers
Old 08-06-22, 10:59 AM

Finally the driveway clip uploaded to YouTube. Hopefully looks good.

Old 08-06-22, 11:12 AM

And my ride on the road, a bit harder to see me though.

Old 08-08-22, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts

Pulled out my late brother's Strida that had been parked folded in off my living room corner for some years.
He bought it at a store closing clearance sale for only $200, OTD. It was regularly priced at $800, per the price tag still on its stem head.
He had been planning on riding it to improve his health for some time but his illness did not make it possible.
He passed about three months ago.
I was wondering what to do with the bike, now it was passed down to me by his family for my coming birthday.
Being that I'm recovering from a recent health crisis myself, I figure that I can use the Strida as an interim ride to my race bikes, as my physical state isn't up to riding them again yet. I'm also considering integration it into my work commute, somehow.
I remember test riding the Strida (Model 5) for my brother when he first got it a few years ago and I remember noting to him that the cycling ergonomics of it was not very good. It felt very upright in "begging dog" sort of way, which is ok for "townie" speed riding but the steep steering angle of the front wheel and the very narrow handlebars makes it very twitchy al lower speeds.
Everything came back to me when I gave its second test ride this weekend. I thought that my knees were too close to the handlebars in my first ride but for some weird reason, It did not feel that way when I rode it this weekend.
The handling still feels very twitchy to me and rolling starts will need some practice as it seems to want to instantly dump its rider with any opportunity when first rolling off. Once rolling it settles down enough but maintaining a straight line is still challenging with the twitchy handling and the narrow bars.
I looked at the bike closely to see what could be adjusted to improve comfort and handling on it. The seat was already adjusted to a height that generally works for me, but the saddle to bar distance to the bars is just way to close and it results for less than ideal leverage on the handlebars to deal with the steering twitchyness.
IT looks like the seat bracket would allow me to slide the saddle back on its rails but I can barely get it to move by a half an inch back after I loosens the rail clamps. Cannot see anything keeping it from moving on the seat bracket, but it just will not budge
One thing I also noticed was the high rolling resistance of the bike. It rolls around easy enough, but it does not seem to have that good a rolling maintenance of speed when you stop pedaling. I assume its me just not used to riding a bike with such small and fattish wheels (16" diameter). The mechanical disk brakes are almost an overkill on the bike as it is very powerful and you can get in big trouble if you grab too big of handfull. I guess its just another quirk to get used to.
The standard plastic rear rack is nifty and does not get in the way when the bike is folded and unfolded, but its a bit flimsy and easy flexes from side to side. It think Strida only allows for just a pound of weight on the rack, which is a bit ridiculous.
There's supposed to be a metal rack available from Strida to improve carrying capacity, but I have to think twice before I get it as I'd like to keep the bike's weight as low as possible. I'm also thinking of changing out the saddle for a lighter one, but will have to be careful that I pick one that works best for the very upright riding position on the bike. (Anyone have suggestions?). I considered a sprung Brooks saddle, but that will add quite a bit of weight on a bike thst is quite porky already for its size at 26ish pounds.
I love the bike for its uniqueness but I will certainly have to learn how to deal with its many riding quirks to keep enjoying it.

Last edited by Chombi1; 08-08-22 at 06:09 PM.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 09-10-22, 08:26 PM

Since my last post, I did a bunch more repairs and more rides. I now feel my Strida has lived up to its potential with top joint, seat, bottom bracket, and tire repairs. I never ever would have thought this bike would be so comfortable and ergonomic. Yes my knees barely clear the handlebars, but adjusting my foot position on the pedals (balls of the feet on the pedals) dealt with that eventually. It's truly the best folding city bike I've ever ridden and the bottom tube joint even acts as a suspension, rendering bumps nil. I wouldn't use it on steep hills, but one speed is enough even for lumpy Cincy and forces you to relax through coasting down hills. I got to ride it about 67 miles this week including a 20 mile ride today to Sharon Woods in Sharonville and back.

A Little Free Library in Wyoming, OH. I swear I have seen so many of these while on the Strida.

Firefighter mural in Sharonville

At the boat rental at Sharon Woods

Wyoming, OH central business district. Not much has changed here over 20 years.

Super clean cone and caged bearings thanks to WD-40

One piece crank with cleaned bearings and cone thanks to WD-40

Nice clean cup

Cone and caged bearings before cleaning

Examining the seat components before mounting the seat pin on the lowest grooves (highest position)

Another Little Free Library, this time in Finneytown, OH