Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Current project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Current project

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-20, 06:48 AM

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Looks great!
Old 09-27-20, 12:33 PM

Bikes: Priority Continuum; Azuki Gran Sports

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
I measured a few HB stems I have in a parts box and the "minimum insertion" depth appears to be around 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 inches. That's measured from the tip of the angled cut not the bottom of the wedge. Depending on who determined this measurement ( an engineer or a lawyer) there may be a certain degree of added safety (or reduced liability) factored into the "minimum insertion" depth. I'd err on the side of safety and have at least 2 1/2" inserted!
RE: your goal of doing a loaded touring ride, a trip from Tulsa to Denver is a daunting one to be sure! You will definitely need to train up for that trip. I have no experience with loaded touring but can say that you would likely encounter some oppressive headwinds along most any route you might choose. Add to that the 4,500 ft of elevation change and the accompanying breathing issues. It will be quite a trip indeed. Do a blog. Many would enjoy reading it!
-----
Thanks for the info! I decided while riding it today that I will definitely need to raise the handlebars some more. The frame is a bit big for me, but I'm sure I can make it work. Looks like a taller stem is in my near future! I was also thinking about doing a blog of some sort too. I've never been good at documenting my activities, but that trip will be worth the extra effort!
Old 09-28-20, 05:00 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by JDinTulsa
-----
That is gorgeous!!!
Good thing I used a blurry picture then!

In reality, it has dozens of chips, scrapes and scratches to show for it's hard use over 50k+ miles and 44 years of service. There is a 5" long scratch along the drive side of the toptube just aft of the middle brake cable clamp that was there before I even bought the bike! That is why I was able to buy it new in Oct '76 at a discounted price as a scratched floor model.

But yes, I DO love that candy blue color combined with the chrome socks!
Old 09-28-20, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I'm digging the old Fuji pics. Fujis remind me of old Treks at a fraction of the cost.