Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Who's up for a triathlon? I'm signing up!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Who's up for a triathlon? I'm signing up!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 11:17 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Go to a running shoe store and expect to spend about an hour there getting the right shoe for the way you walk and run. Then plan on spending $100 + on the right pair of shoes. It made all the difference for me. Then I got my wife to believe me and she is doing some short runs now and is working on getting longer runs each week. The proper shoe makes a big difference.

Buying a pair of Brooks or Nike because that is the "brand" you like, doesn't make it the right shoe for your running type.

Also get some decent swim goggles and hit the pool and have FUN with it. I am.
+1 on this advice! Proper running shoes are the key to a pain-free and enjoyable run. Go to a running shoe store (not just a place like Sports Authority), where they have people who are trained in properly fitting you in the right shoe. Have them analyze your gait and how your foot strikes the ground..from there they will be able to match you up with shoes designed for your specific needs. Running shoes will fall into 3 different categories - Stability, Motion Control, or Neutral...a good running shoe store will be able to determine which type of shoe you need.

As for swim goggles...I recently got myself a pair of Aquasphere Kaiman goggles, and they are simply awesome...especially if you were contact lenses. I'm doing my first sprint tri this June in Illinois...and I'm so excited. Been wanting to do one for the past ten years...finally committed this year and sent in my $80 entrance fee, so no turning back now.

Good luck with your tri!
Old 03-27-08, 11:37 AM
runnin' down a dream

Bikes: Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001
Although, I've been considering a friendly biathlon recently. There is one in my hometown every September.
Really, you can cross country ski in September??