Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's with the stereotyping and hate?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's with the stereotyping and hate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-21, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Why do you care what strangers think about your bicycle? It's creepy how hypersensitive society is becoming.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 10-15-21, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Human nature. It's a thing. Not falling prey to it requires constant self-awareness, and compensation on a conscious level. Even then, no one is perfect at it.

Hermits have a point.
Old 10-15-21, 05:07 AM

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by restlessswind
Why are people so ignorant and perceive what one does differently as a bad thing or is a bad person? Be it cyclist vs pedestrian or driver, or upright vs recumbent, or ...
For me, actions speak volumes. And if a person's acting decently and courteously, in the action and toward others, I can't possibly know more than he/she about the utility and suitability of that person beyond those actions. Whether it be cycling or digging a trench or helping somebody with a task.

Am all too human, I am, but it's one of the things I try most hard to do: be reasonably tolerant and accepting of others for merely being themselves and acting decently. What they look like, sound like, ride, wear or whatever ... that has zero to do with their quality and character. Never has. Never will. (Thank you Mom and Dad for that lesson. One of many.)

Act like a schmuck, get assumed to be one ... because of your actual actions.
Look/talk/smell a little sketchy but act decently, then get assumed to be decent.

Pretty simple, really.
Old 10-15-21, 05:35 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by restlessswind
Why are people so ignorant and perceive what one does differently as a bad thing or is a bad person? Be it cyclist vs pedestrian or driver, or upright vs recumbent, or beach cruiser vs roadie, moutain biker ve gravel biker, boater vs jet-skier, skier vs snowboarder, e-bike vs regular pedal bike, etc..

Seems to happen in every aspect of hobbies and cultures. Jerks are jerks, and because one has a different kind of bike makes him/her a snob or lesser valued person? .Makes me want to live in solitude.

I've recently purchased a recumbent bike due to some medical issues, and while looking for resources, I find hate. Lots of hate. "bent riders are snobs, lazy, cheating, stupid, dumb.....
I find 12 grammatical and stylistic errors in the above rant. How many can you name?
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-15-21, 05:52 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
The poster @rydabent has grown beyond the forum's control, we could not stop him.
I think it's quite possible they are both the same person.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 10-15-21, 06:38 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
It’s a common human thing to want to be “right” about something and make others “wrong”. It provides a satisfaction that can almost be like a drug for many.
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Every quality online forums seek to deter and prevent such behavior.
Every Popular online forum is successful precisely because of this stupid human behavior. People come to fight, and to join in the fight, and to pretend to be above the fight while attack both sides, and others attack those who pretend to be above the fray .... and then those others accuse them of pretending to be "holier than thou" ......

Everyone has both good and bad nature. Everyone has a lived a life full of pain and pleasure, and most, in order to take their minds off the pain, will hurt others. The brief lessening of pain is perceived as pleasure.

OP, in my understanding, wasn't questioning merely forum but human behavior in general.

Seems to me that we gave up any attempt to teach morality because a lot of people wanted to teach religion, and a lot of others had different ideas of morality, and instead of doing the morally honorable thing and reaching a compromise ... they all just quit. So, for however many generations now (we are going to need to expand the alphabet or something .... ) parents have not taught kids much at all, and kids have taught their kids even less, and now behavior that would have gotten you slapped several decades ago is considered acceptable.

Somewhere after World War II, the world's population went astray or perhaps failed to take the opportunity to step up to a new awareness---globalism, responsibility, mutual dependence---and started fragmenting, with each group become more insular and hostile. Now we are all f****ed.

Oh, yeah .... bicycles. I wouldn't want to derail the thread by not talki9ng about bicycles so .... bicycles.
Old 10-15-21, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-15-21, 07:42 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Every quality online forums seek to deter and prevent such behavior.
I don't understand how a forum could possibly control things to the degree that is being suggested in this thread. I have participated on forums where they just banned people whenever the mods didn't like someone's post, but that's no way to run a forum. It really depends on the people that participate, and enough people show up here that aren't capable of self-regulation that it appears to be chaos half of the time. But I think that people could avoid the threads that are obviously going to be controversial and things would be much better for them.

As far as the OP goes, I don't see a lot of hate on here. If you insist on posting 'bent related threads or 'bent evangelism outside of the recumbent forum, you'll get some pushback.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-15-21, 07:45 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Okay, we finally got one of those people that can't self regulate posting in this thread and I'm going to close it. The OP might want to post any further such threads in the 'bent forum.