Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

1x9 Bliss and Blues

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

1x9 Bliss and Blues

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-19, 06:31 AM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
What is striking me as odd is that they put a bash ring (chain guard) on this bike but are not running it close enough to the chainring to help keep the chain on. One of the benefits of running a bash ring is that they do a great job of acting as a chain guide. Another poster here with this bike mentioned that there were spacers behind the outer chain guard. Can you remove them to bring the chain guard closer to the ring? I ran a 1x9 setup for years on a mountain bike that saw a lot of very rough trails. I used a regular chainring (not 1x specific, not narrow wide) with a bash ring / chain guard on the outside. I never once threw a chain.

Unless your throwing the chain is due to it being bounced off, I don’t think a clutch RD would make a difference, and I don’t think they come in 9sp anyway.

A narrow-wide ring would likely help IF the issue is that the chain is getting bounced off goong over bumps.

OTOH, if this is happening even on smooth ground, then it sounds like some sort of chainline issue. I would check to see where your chainring is lining up on your cassette.

As per some previous advice, I would check that the RD is putting tension on the chain in high gear. If your chain is too long it may me going slack in 9th gear.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-16-19 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-16-19, 07:04 AM

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
What is this narrow wide chainring?
It's an old new design.
Old 03-16-19, 02:11 PM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
Pardon my ignorance, but what is that? Here's a pic:

That is not a clutch derailleur. I don't understand them well enough to explain what they do beyond saying they greatly improve chain retention on 1X set ups. I never once dropped a chain when I was running my 1X. I am building another 1X right now and I am using a clutch rear derailleur. Piddle around on Google and you can probably find some good reading on it. I go out to CO every summer. More and more each year I am seeing 1X set ups. They all have clutch derailleurs and none are having chain retention issues.