Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Favorite Gas Station/Liquor Store Food

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 03:19 PM
Hooked On Quack

Bikes: Orbea, Lemond, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been watching this thread since it started in mid-December and I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one who looks for Hostess Mini-donuts!
Old 03-06-10, 11:04 AM
surfrider

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
A bottle of Orange Juice (real orange juice). Try it after a 50 mile grind; the feeling you get after about 20 minute must be what addicts feel like after 'juicing' up on heroin. Simply euphoric . . .

FYI: If you're ever in California's Eastern Sierra Nevada at the town of Lee Vining near Mono Lake (Hwy 395/120 junction), make sure to stop at the Mobil gas station's deli (called the "Whoa Nelli Deli"). Its got the best roadside food you'll ever taste, better than a lot of 'sit-down' restaurants.

Old 03-08-10, 06:40 PM

Bikes: Gaulzetti Cazzo, Gaulzetti Corsa, Gaulzetti Ti, Gaulzetti SS prototype, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Ridley XFire

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know why, but gotta have a donut.
Old 03-08-10, 07:27 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by leooooo
I don't know why, but gotta have a donut.
FTW! There is nothing like a stop for coffee and a donut or two on a long ride. That and pie or frozen yogurt. Also, apples juice is tops. I dunno why, but it really hits the spot, especially after a good bit of serious climbing.
Old 03-10-10, 09:36 PM
This is Shangri La

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by froze
Just about any type of sandwich including burgers, 3 Musketeers, Snickers, Payday, peanut M&M's, Power of Clif bars, Gatorade, jerky, Slim Jims, trail mix stuff, Reeses big cups and PB Twix, bananas and avocado but their difficult to find in gas stations and liquor stores or truck stops (which is a better source of food then the others), V8 juice, shakes, and cheese.

Chips and the such is worthless food with no nutritional value whatsoever.
Kuddos to the Payday recommendation. I gave that a try this weekend rather than my normal Twix. The Payday was good!
Old 03-11-10, 08:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by forrest_m
So, for me, the pringles are not ideal for shorter, high-intensity exercise where I have trouble digesting the fat without slowing down, but excellent for lower intensity multi-hour and multi-day efforts, especially in colder weather. Certainly much, much better than high-glycemic-index candy bars. YMMV, of course.
I agree - Pringles seem to be the only solid food I can stomach on long rides (24-hour or brevets) when I just need something in my stomach. Most of my nutrition comes from liquid (Infinit) but when I need something to stop the growling, it's Pringles - reduced fat...
Old 03-11-10, 09:16 PM
Fool O' crap

Bikes: Are faster than yours.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Last July I did a 100 mile mountain bike race - for whatever reason my stomach was acting up and I was not taking in calories like I had planned. By mile 50 I was hurting pretty bad - I made it to a check point and I grabbed a huge fistful of red vines - the rest of the race it was red vines and DR. Pepper - had my best time ever in that race. Needless to say now I know what exactly to look for when I go to a convenience store when I feel the bonk approaching.
Old 03-12-10, 01:07 PM

Bikes: '83 Miyata Two-Ten, '84 Raleigh Pestige, '09 Downtube 8H

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surfrider
FYI: If you're ever in California's Eastern Sierra Nevada at the town of Lee Vining near Mono Lake (Hwy 395/120 junction), make sure to stop at the Mobil gas station's deli (called the "Whoa Nelli Deli"). Its got the best roadside food you'll ever taste, better than a lot of 'sit-down' restaurants.
+1 to the Whoa Nelli Deli! I stumbled across it last summer after driving over Tioga pass on my way to the Grand Canyon. We stopped because we needed gas and I was hungry, but only expected mini-mart quality food. I was surprised to see a crowd of 30-40 people eating outside at a gas station in the middle of nowhere on the east side of the Sierras on a weekday evening. While my wife was in the restroom, I read some of the press clippings on display in the hallway, and was amazed at the glowing reviews this place had gotten. When I got the food, I understood the reviews. I had the Herb Crusted Grilled Pork Tenderloin, and it was great. If Michelin did a guide that covered California, that place would get a star, probably two. It's basically a gourmet restaurant that happens to be located in a gas station. If you're ever near Lee Vining, do not miss it. Their website is here.