Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

My doctor told me I was fat.

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

My doctor told me I was fat.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-20, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
What bike did you buy?
Likes For __Dom__:
Old 04-20-20, 08:21 PM

Bikes: Various and often changing

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dude.....if you're rad it's OK to be fat.

mentalite.
Likes For mentalite:
Old 04-25-20, 08:07 PM
Rider since 74. New here.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 8 Posts
I got bit by cycling but when I was 12 and watched the film Breaking Away. I’ve lurked this site for years and only just signed up too. follow your doctors advice, I need to loose 15-20 lbs too and whenever I begin cycling in earnest again, it melts away. I’m still a ’largish’ person when I’m slimmed down.

I’m 6’-2” 230 lbs. A nurse at a workplace health fair who sat to go over my stats said:

- Blood sugar great.

- Your blood pressure is great

- resting heart rate nice and low.

- (this is where her brows furrowed as she looked me over and looked back at my body mass index /BMI. It says you’re obese but... I’m... um, that’s wierd. you don’t look... you should talk to your doctor, you’re obviously not obese.

My doctor rolled her eyes. It turns out BMI doesn’t account for muscle mass or bone density (as a newbie, I’m not allowed to post links or photos yet - lots of info on this online). At 215 lbs, I actually look very thin. The last time I weight 200 lbs, I was 19 and VERY slim. BMI doesn’t tell the whole story, pay close attention to how you feel in your body and the way your clothes fit, how you look without clothes.

So, welcome to cycling, good on you! As you build muscle and endurance, it becomes habit forming. I find I become more mindful of what I eat, I sleep better, Work better, feel younger and happier. As a child a bike was freedom and joy and it still is as an adult. People who don’t ride just don’t understand the beauty of being on a bike.
Likes For Stronglight56:
Old 04-26-20, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good that you are concerned about your health. As other has offered, activity and diet are significant. Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your contribution and your successful weight shedding. Enjoy your rides. Be safe.
Likes For mtb cheaha:
Old 04-26-20, 06:13 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.

A good approach to this is to not think of it as exercise, but exploring.
This!! I’d recommend the app All Trails. I use it for hiking primarily but I’ve found it’s full of good trails all over PA at least! Welcome and enjoy your rides! 🤙
Likes For potaitlin:
Old 04-26-20, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by __Dom__
What bike did you buy?
wow i see this thread is still going. Ive been reading every comment and all the adivce is really helpful.

I ended up getting polygon entiat TR8. I wanted a mid fat tire for some reason, probably because i think they look cool. also considered trek roscoe and jamis dragon slayer.

So the bike buying part is all set. Now, its just the diet and riding part!

Originally Posted by potaitlin
This!! I’d recommend the app All Trails. I use it for hiking primarily but I’ve found it’s full of good trails all over PA at least! Welcome and enjoy your rides! 🤙
thanks ill try this.

i guess ill find out if the parks are blocked off with yellow tape. Eitherway, im sure ill find plenty of places to ride. Im in the catskill region of upstate NY. Theres no shortage of trails.

Last edited by theraddude; 04-26-20 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I'm right there with you, although my doctor hasn't told me yet! Good to meet another newbie on the forum who wants to be less fat before it's too late. I look forward to seeing you around the boards.