Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Got any recommendations for a bike floor pump?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Got any recommendations for a bike floor pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-21, 10:39 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,447 Times in 2,554 Posts
lol I have more than once in a pinch added air to a care tire with my bike pump. It did take hundreds of pumps. Usually when the tire had a nail or screw in it, and I needed to safely drive to the shop to get it repaired.
Old 08-24-21, 01:10 PM

Bikes: BF NWT, Tern Short Haul

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I use an SKS Rennkompressor. Heavy, stable, bright orange, made in Germany. Have had it several years but I can't remember why I picked this specific bike stand pump over hundreds of others.

Funny, I would never buy a German car (expensive maintenance) but nearly all my bike accessories are made in Germany. Quality built, expect to last so worth the price.
Old 08-25-21, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 250 Posts
No recommendation. I just go to the LBS, buy what they have on the floor. They last for decades. I've had 2 in the past ... 45 years? The first one I bought (I suppose it was in 1986 when I bought my Fuji del rey - with Valite(R) tubing!!), and as I recall the leather gasket was wearing out and lubing it was no longer helping. I think it was a Sachs pump, but I'm not sure. I could have replaced the gasket, but the shop had new ones on the sales floor, with pressure gauges (which my old one lacked), for about $45-$50 or so (don't recall exactly). So I got a Specialized branded pump from the LBS about, ummm, definitely more than 15 years ago, definitely less than 25 years ago. Not sure. And I have no idea who actually made the pump - could be Specialized, could have been licensed to another manufacturer. It works, no issues to date. When it finally fails (no signs of imminent failure that I've noticed), I'll just go down to the LBS and buy whatever they have.
Old 08-25-21, 08:02 AM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
We had two Serfas TCPG for a long time and they worked great until one got backed over in a parking lot.

I replaced the broken one with a Topeak Joe Blow Sport iii and I hate it. The head on it really sucks. I guess I just need to find a replacement for the head.

If I buy another floor pump, I am going to get one with a booster tank for tubeless. I would like to take that on bike trips where I do not have access to a compressor, just in case.
Old 08-25-21, 07:40 PM

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 229 Posts
I bought a Planet Bike "versair" floor pump at a bike show about 20 years ago. It has worked well over the years. No complaints. Have no idea what I paid for it but I know that it wasn't expensive.