Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-15, 07:09 AM

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.4 FX Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grey.
That's a little silly, don't you think? For one, the DuoTrap S isn't a computer, it's a sensor. It works with any device that supports ANT+ or Bluetooth and the integrated frame mount just allows you to install the sensor on your bike without having to put zip ties all over it. It works quite well.
I have to agree when it comes to the sensor itself. The DuoTrap S fits nicely on the bike with a clean install (no zip ties, etc.). Once I got the battery flipped around the right way, I was able to give it a good test yesterday on a 9+ mile ride using it with my iPhone via Bluetooth LE. I am still trying to find the "right" app, but I am starting with Strava and it seems to work pretty well. Strava detected the sensor with no issues and was able to record data from it. The only thing I am trying to figure out with this app, is whether or not it has the ability to fine tune the accuracy by giving it a wheel size. I want to try Cyclemeter as well, but it wants me to pay for the premium version to pair sensors to it, even though there is no guarantee that my sensor works with it. At least the Strava lets me do this for free.
Old 07-14-15, 07:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I was able to take the bike out for a good ride yesterday, a little over 9 miles in less than 44 minutes. My DuoTrap S was working properly and I managed to fix the disc brake rubbing problem. The solution for the brake was to tighten the hub lock on the wheel a little more.

While the bike was fitted for me, I was starting to get some discomfort, tingling, and fatigue in my hands. My wrists aren't pinching, but I think the problem may be due to how the grips with the palm rests are angled. They are angled to keep my wrists in line with my arms to prevent pinching that can cause the above, but they may be sloped a little too far. So instead of me feeling like I am resting on the grips and palm rests, I feel more like they want to slide off, so then the palm rest want to dig a little more into my hand instead of my hand resting on them. Since I feel like I am sliding off of them, I am having to put more work into holding onto them, adding to the fatigue and discomfort. So I am going to reduce the angle on them a little next time and see if that helps.

My rear was getting a little uncomfortable towards the end. I am still figuring out if I need to improve my posture and seating position or if its because I need a wider seat. It's not horrible, and it may be just me needing to get back in shape to since I am using muscles and parts of my body in ways I haven't in quite a few years.

Other than that, the bike rode very nice. I hit a top speed of 25.7 MPH and averaged 12.4 MPH. I look forward to doing the same route on Wednesday.
Old 07-14-15, 07:43 AM

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Carbon, Nishiki Hybrid (1x9 mod), Raleigh Sport Comfort

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by VirtualMirage
My rear was getting a little uncomfortable towards the end. I am still figuring out if I need to improve my posture and seating position or if its because I need a wider seat. It's not horrible, and it may be just me needing to get back in shape to since I am using muscles and parts of my body in ways I haven't in quite a few years.

Other than that, the bike rode very nice. I hit a top speed of 25.7 MPH and averaged 12.4 MPH. I look forward to doing the same route on Wednesday.
Did you still feel the chain vibration as you mentioned earlier? I had a 2015 7.4 FX (for one day), which also did that.
A recent test ride on a Giant Escape 1 had no chain vibration at all. I am wondering how common this issue is among
new bikes/brands.
Old 07-14-15, 07:53 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Grey.
That's a little silly, don't you think? For one, the DuoTrap S isn't a computer, it's a sensor. It works with any device that supports ANT+ or Bluetooth and the integrated frame mount just allows you to install the sensor on your bike without having to put zip ties all over it. It works quite well.
Don't you think it is silly to have a proprietary attachment that will mean nothing after about 4 or 5 years when Trek abandons it, or moves to DuoTrap 3? If a standard mounting method was developed with multiple manufacturers, it would be one thing, but a proprietary connector makes no sense in the world of cycling. I see this going the way of other failed attempts at a single manufacturer creating a new doo-dad that quickly fades into oblivion.

And as far as looks, 2 tiny cable ties (colors can be selected to blend in to many frames) is not a big deal to me. But, then again, I have no trouble using duct tape in a pinch to retain cables.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-14-15, 10:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenBiker
Did you still feel the chain vibration as you mentioned earlier? I had a 2015 7.4 FX (for one day), which also did that.
A recent test ride on a Giant Escape 1 had no chain vibration at all. I am wondering how common this issue is among
new bikes/brands.
On the road I didn't notice it. Of course, there is more vibration coming from my roads than I would be able to feel from the chain. It was only noticeable when using the bike on their fitment table. On the table there is little to no vibrations or movement from outside sources to hide the friction and vibrations of moving parts, within spec or not.

I will still be keeping my senses on high alert to see if I notice it or not. The LBS mentioned that it may just need to be broken in a little bit. They consider a break in period being around 8 hours of use. I've only got a little over an hour's worth of use on the bike so far.
Old 07-14-15, 10:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
Don't you think it is silly to have a proprietary attachment that will mean nothing after about 4 or 5 years when Trek abandons it, or moves to DuoTrap 3? If a standard mounting method was developed with multiple manufacturers, it would be one thing, but a proprietary connector makes no sense in the world of cycling. I see this going the way of other failed attempts at a single manufacturer creating a new doo-dad that quickly fades into oblivion.

And as far as looks, 2 tiny cable ties (colors can be selected to blend in to many frames) is not a big deal to me. But, then again, I have no trouble using duct tape in a pinch to retain cables.
Of course, if it is still working in 4-5 years and you are on the same bike 4-5 years from now, it isn't a big deal to have a proprietary mount. Fit and finish is nice, installation is quick and easy. The data collected is basic and similar to how other devices produce data, so I don't see a support issue there. Now if I was changing bikes and brands at a much higher frequency, then I can see where that might be annoying for some. But as it stands, I don't intend to be doing that.

And if 4-5 years from now they come out with improved/updated model and if I am in the market for a new bike then, then most likely I will just buy it and keep the older model on the old bike. Much like phones, computers, TVs, and cars, models come and go and improvements are made. Some don't like change and stick with their older devices and others like to upgrade. The sensor isn't very expensive, it's certainly one of the cheaper accessories I have added to the bike.
Old 07-14-15, 10:58 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by VirtualMirage
Of course, if it is still working in 4-5 years and you are on the same bike 4-5 years from now, it isn't a big deal to have a proprietary mount. Fit and finish is nice, installation is quick and easy. The data collected is basic and similar to how other devices produce data, so I don't see a support issue there. Now if I was changing bikes and brands at a much higher frequency, then I can see where that might be annoying for some. But as it stands, I don't intend to be doing that.

And if 4-5 years from now they come out with improved/updated model and if I am in the market for a new bike then, then most likely I will just buy it and keep the older model on the old bike. Much like phones, computers, TVs, and cars, models come and go and improvements are made. Some don't like change and stick with their older devices and others like to upgrade. The sensor isn't very expensive, it's certainly one of the cheaper accessories I have added to the bike.
I agree with the expense issue. With the expense of most things on bicycles, anything under $100 is pretty minimal.

Trek may have thought things through enough that whatever comes in the future will plug right in. I would just prefer a standard worked out among many manufacturers... Or one presented by a company like CatEye or another computer maker and released to all manufacturers to decide whether they want to implement it. Kind of like when brake mounting moved to recessed nuts. There will probably always be need for specialized features to make a manufacturer's bike stand out from the crowd, so, I will live with it.

EDIT: If my Trek was newer, and equipped with it, I would probably use DuoTrap, just because it is there.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-14-15, 02:27 PM

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If one of those third party manufacturers got in touch with Trek, or Specialized or any other company about integrating their equipment into the bike frame, maybe that would be a different story. As it stands, Trek is clearly the only company interested in building this kind of technology into the bike. Making a seamless solution largely requires them to manufacture their own sensors as well, it's proprietary by necessity.

Hey, I wish more companies were doing it but they're not. I'm all for modularity.
Old 07-16-15, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hi all, new member to the Trek club! Just bought my first one yesterday...2015 FX 7.2 22.5" pad brake version. VERY nice! Moving over from a 4-year old Schwinn Sidewinder mountain bike that I had bought from Target, with my first 16 miles so far I can tell this is a sweet ride! Little stiffer feeling all of the bumps on the paths and roads, but since I am 6'2" 220 lb, I can extend my legs better on this Trek and not have quad/knee pain like often from the mountain bile. I can't wait to put many more miles on it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek FX 7.2 2015 22.5 New.jpg (98.4 KB, 714 views)
Old 07-17-15, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the club @stuman74! I am new as well! Digging the black. Is that a gloss black or a matte black finish? Any upgrades in the future for your bike?
Old 07-17-15, 07:56 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fobbers
Welcome to the club @stuman74! I am new as well! Digging the black. Is that a gloss black or a matte black finish? Any upgrades in the future for your bike?
Thanks! It's glossy black. The handlebars are matte. Just the stock everything, though since that photo, I swapped out the seat for my cushy Bell memory foam seat from my mountain bike.
Bell Recline 800 Seat - Walmart.com

I do need to take it back to the bike shop though because 1.) I can't shift on the crank down to 1 (only 2 and 3 work) and 2.) the front brakes are extremely squeaky and when I looked at the pads, the markings appear that the left and right are flipped. But other than that, after the first 30 miles so far, it's great!

One other question...on my wife's old Trek that needed new tires anyway, I got her a slightly wider 700 x 38 Vittoria Adventure Trail tire. Even that slight increase from a 700 x 35 gave a noticeable increase in ride comfort when hitting light bumps and so on. Since I have moved from a mountain bike to this Trek 7.2 FX with the stock tires, should I consider also getting a wider tire at this time? Or just keep with it and get used to it? Thanks!

Last edited by stuman74; 07-17-15 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-17-15, 09:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone hear anything about when Trek will announce their 2016 FX lineup?
Old 07-18-15, 04:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wdwfan78

My 2015 7.2fx in Waterloo Blue

Someone at Trek has a sense of humor to call that color Waterloo Blue.

- That color is French Racing Blue, and Waterloo is where Napoleon was defeated.
Old 07-18-15, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by stuman74
Hi all, new member to the Trek club! Just bought my first one yesterday...2015 FX 7.2 22.5" pad brake version. VERY nice! Moving over from a 4-year old Schwinn Sidewinder mountain bike that I had bought from Target, with my first 16 miles so far I can tell this is a sweet ride! Little stiffer feeling all of the bumps on the paths and roads, but since I am 6'2" 220 lb, I can extend my legs better on this Trek and not have quad/knee pain like often from the mountain bile. I can't wait to put many more miles on it!
Hi Stuman,
Nice bike - enjoy it safely and in good health!
Best regards
Old 07-21-15, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin

I dont think the DT Sensor is proprietary.(?) It works with BT / ANT+ , it's recogized by a number of cell apps and other mfgr computers. There's published list of compatible products. The stay mount has a cover so you don't have to use it, but, the mount concept is defnitely clean & secure if you choose to do so. Like any computer hardware/software, 4 or 5 years life would actually be good. I wouldn't doubt TREK comes out with something new that doesnt retro fit, but, thats not new to any industry.

EDIT: "Proprietary attachment".. i see your point. Would def be nice if there was standardized mount concept, but, there's a lot of things not standardized between mfgrs so it'll probably never happen.

Last edited by dwing; 07-21-15 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-21-15, 06:47 PM

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Giant Defy Advanced 3

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks! It's glossy black. The handlebars are matte. Just the stock everything, though since that photo, I swapped out the seat for my cushy Bell memory foam seat from my mountain bike.
Bell Recline 800 Seat - Walmart.com

I do need to take it back to the bike shop though because 1.) I can't shift on the crank down to 1 (only 2 and 3 work) and 2.) the front brakes are extremely squeaky and when I looked at the pads, the markings appear that the left and right are flipped. But other than that, after the first 30 miles so far, it's great!

One other question...on my wife's old Trek that needed new tires anyway, I got her a slightly wider 700 x 38 Vittoria Adventure Trail tire. Even that slight increase from a 700 x 35 gave a noticeable increase in ride comfort when hitting light bumps and so on. Since I have moved from a mountain bike to this Trek 7.2 FX with the stock tires, should I consider also getting a wider tire at this time? Or just keep with it and get used to it? Thanks!
I find the 35s on my 7.2 to be real comfortable. If anything, going forward I will potentially get some gatorskins in 32. I don't ride on much rough pavement and would appreciate the slight decrease in rolling resistance. I would say put a few hundred miles on it first and then consider tires.
As far as seat, get a brooks flyer -- they are terrific.
Old 07-26-15, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello guys. I own a 2015 FX 7.4 for couple months. What is the break-in period for the chains, cassette, etc.. I only rode approximately 700 km with it.
Old 07-27-15, 02:51 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Cagatay
Hello guys. I own a 2015 FX 7.4 for couple months. What is the break-in period for the chains, cassette, etc.. I only rode approximately 700 km with it.
A bicycle isn't like a car, there is no break-in period that I am aware of. No need for the rings to seat (or whatever else an automotive break-in period is for) There is a potential that shortly after you get the bike that it may need minor adjustments, but other than that, ride it hard, it is broken in.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-27-15, 09:32 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I am loving my 2-week old Trek FX 7.2! What lock do you recommend for this? U-lock/cable combo? OnGuard or Kryptonite seem popular. Thanks!
Old 07-28-15, 06:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice looking 7.2, I purchased a 7.2 FX Disc yesterday in 20", will post a picture later, but the only thing that I am going to change on the bike is the crankset.

any suggestions from forum members on a 8 speed alloy crankset with replaceable chainrings?
the stock steel crankset weighs a ton. And very few 8 speed black cranksets, millions of 9 speeds.

i am planning on installing it myself.

great thread, glad it was started.
Old 07-29-15, 07:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got my 7.3 last week. Been so busy riding it I haven't had time to hop off and take a picture of it. Love it so far. Internal brake cable routing looks really sleek, especially with the matte black color. Think I really need to change the saddle though. The only thing holding me back from great riding is how much it hurts my ass. Been looking into the Brooks B-17 as I see they are highly regarded. Not sure if it'll work with my 6'5" 260 lb. figure though.

Old 08-01-15, 07:57 AM

Bikes: 03 Specialized enduro comp,14 trek 7.5fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New here to the forums and enjoy reading informative info. I have a 2014 7.5 fx size 15" that I picked up on a close out sale for $650 so weighed at lbs at time of purchase and came in at 22.3 pounds stock.
i mainly ride at local bike path at park for fitness ( and reason to get away from wifey)have a lil over 400 miles logged in and can say bike is very nimble and light .hills are a lot easier to pass by and the flats and descents feel faster ,but knowing me wanting to get the best bang for my money vs performance I ordered some 700x28 continental gp 4000sII since they have low rolling resistance and lighter at 235 gram (a lot of good reviews)vs the heavy brontrager's aw1 hard case that came stock at 415 grams . After tire upgrade I should be looking at a total weight of 21.5 pounds
will post pics soon

Last edited by Brklynbomber; 08-01-15 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention a few things
Old 08-04-15, 03:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FX 7.2 Disc

Ordered new crankset, and probably changing tires. WTB saddle, my favorite,
i wanted the 7.4, FX Disc, but the shop I purchased this from, could not find one in stock to order in my size /20", too, I think I would like the gray paint on the 7.4 better than the 7'2 black,

The stock Ergo grips are being changed too. I rode about 20 miles Sunday at a local bike trail, every other bike I met was a Trek :-(
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (104.5 KB, 613 views)

Last edited by Sunset_Va; 08-04-15 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-04-15, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va

FX 7.2 Disc

Ordered new crankset, and probably changing tires. WTB saddle, my favorite,
i wanted the 7.4, FX Disc, but the shop I purchased this from, could not find one in stock to order in my size /20", too, I think I would like the gray paint on the 7.4 better than the 7'2 black,

The stock Ergo grips are being changed too. I rode about 20 miles Sunday at a local bike trail, every other bike I met was a Trek :-(
If you really want the 7.4 why couldn't your bike shop order it directly from Trek? You'll like the 7.2 I'm sure but I wouldn't "settle" for a bike that wasn't my first choice when spending my money on a new bike.
Old 08-04-15, 11:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think they did try Trek, my size was out of stock.

Partly my fault, as I wanted it to take on an upcoming trip, and finding a 7.4 would not have been here by then.

I'll be upgrading a lot of stuff on the 7.2, perhaps it doesnt matter. After looking at many of my other candidates for hybrids, most had the same components as the 7.2. I had budgeted about $700, and sure with tax, luggage rack, the 7.4 would have busted that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.