Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Conti Gatorskin or 4000S

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Conti Gatorskin or 4000S

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 10:50 AM
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UC223
I use GS for a winter training tire here in NY mainly because i really don't want to change a flat in 20 degrees. Other than that, they ride like rocks and corner much the same. The rest of the year i train and race on GP4000s' they ride much better and have reasonable durability. properly inflated and checked for glass they do really well resisting flats. it is worth noting that these are not as soft as light race tires which tend to be glass magnets.
I use the Conti GP 4season for that purpose. They have the same duraskin carcass reinforcement and a double vectran breaker (twice the breaker that's in a 4000S) vs the single polyXbreaker in the Gatorskin. It supposedly has a more wet/cold oriented rubber compound than the others.
Old 10-13-11, 11:35 AM
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
+1 for GP4Season. Riding them now.

Will let you know about the cold traction in a month. They've been awesome so far but it was 50 this morning, not nearly 'cold'.
Old 10-13-11, 11:38 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinSCo
I've had gatorskins on my bike for about 1,200 miles and got them to avoid what seemed like daily flats. The rear is just starting to square off; I waited too long before rotating. Don't have much rain where I am, so conditions are mostly dry. Many of those miles are on rough roads with lots of debris. Haven't had a single flat. I've never tried the 4000S, so I don't know what I'm missing.
You don't rotate bicycle tires unless you're replacing one of them. Freshest rubber up front, always.
Old 10-13-11, 02:29 PM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
The tires are totally different. The GS is tougher but it is heavy, has lousy traction, and delivers a miserable ride. The 4000s is less durable, but ride, traction, and speed are better.

If there is a lot of sharp debris on your roads, consider the GS. Otherwise 4000s is a better way to go. Avoiding an extra occasional flat is not worth a crappy ride and bad traction.

I installed a pair of Gatorskin 700x25 Hardshells on my bike in anticipation of winter coming up. I run them at around 100 PSI, which is the same as I used for the previous tires, which is a reasonable pressure for me.

The ride is harsh beyond belief on anything other than the smoothest roads. Absolutely painful on our MUP that has mixed gravel/pavement. I haven't found anything particularly bad in regards to traction, I'm a recreational rider and don't push the envelope at all.

I'll keep them as a I'd-rather-not-be-changing-a-flat-when-it's-15-degrees tires, but they'll definitely get swapped out in the springtime.
Old 10-13-11, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by nhluhr
I use the Conti GP 4season for that purpose. They have the same duraskin carcass reinforcement and a double vectran breaker (twice the breaker that's in a 4000S) vs the single polyXbreaker in the Gatorskin. It supposedly has a more wet/cold oriented rubber compound than the others.
How do GP 4 Seasons compare to GP 4000s and Gatorskins, in terms of ride quality, grip, and that kind of thing?
Old 10-13-11, 02:53 PM
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
How do GP 4 Seasons compare to GP 4000s and Gatorskins, in terms of ride quality, grip, and that kind of thing?
I've not ridden gatorskins but I primarily use GP4000S tires in the summer and GP4Season tires in the winter. I do have a set of Force/Attack on my aero wheels with a closer ratio cassette for flatter rides. My observations:

Rolling resistance, ride roughness, and wet grip are appreciably increased with the 4Season.

Beyond those moronically subjective statements, that is all I can tell you.
Old 10-13-11, 02:58 PM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
4 Seasons is a good all 'rounder, but it's not outstanding at anything. Flat resistance is decent, ride quality is decent, speed ain't too bad, and grip is neither here nor there. I think it's quite good on frozen fog and slick surfaces compared to alternatives.

If I had to ride only one tire in all conditions, I'd go with the 4 Seasons. I would ride them in the winter, except I'm cheap and the improvement over alternatives for my conditions is not enough to justify the cost IMO.

Note that my primary road is particularly bad and it even destroys tires like the Schwalbe Marathon Plus -- a couple months of winter riding will put cuts that go deep into the blue layer. If my road was just a bit more ordinary in terms of debris, I'd ride 4 Seasons as I think it's an excellent winter choice.
Old 10-13-11, 03:08 PM
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have 25mm GP4Season and subjectively they ride a ton better than my previous tires, Vittoria Diamante Pro Light 700x23.

Very different tires. Therefore I expect my comparison to also be unhelpful.

But it sounds like the Gatorskin hardshell rides the worst.
Old 10-13-11, 03:10 PM
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
I have 25mm GP4Season and subjectively they ride a ton better than my previous tires, Vittoria Diamante Pro Light 700x23.

Very different tires. Therefore I expect my comparison to also be unhelpful.

But it sounds like the Gatorskin hardshell rides the worst.
I'm scared to find out what the SuperSport Plus rides like, but it ought to be just about bombproof.
Old 10-13-11, 03:35 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by mulveyr
I installed a pair of Gatorskin 700x25 Hardshells on my bike in anticipation of winter coming up. I run them at around 100 PSI, which is the same as I used for the previous tires, which is a reasonable pressure for me.

The ride is harsh beyond belief on anything other than the smoothest roads. Absolutely painful on our MUP that has mixed gravel/pavement. I haven't found anything particularly bad in regards to traction, I'm a recreational rider and don't push the envelope at all.
The Gatorskin Hardshell is a different tire from the Gatorskin (or Gatorskin Ultra, which is the same as an unsuffixed Gatorskin) which rides better than the old Ultra 3000.
Old 10-17-11, 02:59 PM

Bikes: Caad 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
What do you mean by rotating the tire?
Switching the front and rear tires.
Old 10-17-11, 03:02 PM
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinSCo
Switching the front and rear tires.
That's not a particularly safe practice. Consider that a flat in the rear is not really a big deal. You can still stop safely and deal with it except in extreme cases. However, a flat on the front is almost guaranteed to cause stability problems since the majority of steering and braking come from your front tire. If you get a flat in the front and it goes totally flat before you can slow down, you may crash. Therefore, always keep the freshest rubber on your front tire. It's better to simply wear out a back tire, then rotate the former front tire to the rear while replacing front with new. This also guarantees you get the most life out of the tires since you'll wear out one tire at a time to its useful end of service.
Old 10-17-11, 03:05 PM

Bikes: Caad 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom
You don't rotate bicycle tires unless you're replacing one of them. Freshest rubber up front, always.
Never heard that before. I'll keep it in mind. And thanks for the tip!

Last edited by KevinSCo; 10-17-11 at 03:07 PM. Reason: expand response
Old 10-17-11, 07:07 PM
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Is the pbk twin pack for the gp4ks a good deal at 80$ after coupons?
Old 10-17-11, 09:57 PM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I know you didn't ask, but I use a set of bontrager race lite hard case, and other than being really hard to mount and dismount they ride great. The durability on these backwoods roads and the occasional gravel has been quite impressive. The mileage I cannot speak to quite yet as I haven't gotten to 1500 yet.
Old 10-17-11, 10:12 PM
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
The tires are totally different. The GS is tougher but it is heavy, has lousy traction, and delivers a miserable ride. The 4000s is less durable, but ride, traction, and speed are better.

If there is a lot of sharp debris on your roads, consider the GS. Otherwise 4000s is a better way to go. Avoiding an extra occasional flat is not worth a crappy ride and bad traction.
My experience has been the same. The GS are far better than the Armadillos I used once, now those provided a god awful ride. I have the 4000S which I find rugged enough to endure urban riding.
Old 10-18-11, 05:58 AM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
I know you didn't ask, but I use a set of bontrager race lite hard case, and other than being really hard to mount and dismount they ride great. The durability on these backwoods roads and the occasional gravel has been quite impressive. The mileage I cannot speak to quite yet as I haven't gotten to 1500 yet.
My general assessment of the hardcases is that they are a slow tire with a very mediocre ride. However, they are particularly cheap and durability is excellent. They are a good alternative to the GS.

Although I do not like hardcases, I use them for winter riding where debris is an issue.