Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Older Shimano 105 6sp hub - broken axle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Older Shimano 105 6sp hub - broken axle

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-24, 10:25 AM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked 3,408 Times in 2,063 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
A quality axle is made of hardened steel, so shortening it (and keeping the threads in usable shape) is not for the faint of heart.
Modern power tools. cut off wheel, grinder etc. Like cutting any threaded item thread on locknut, cone, or whatever, and run it back off after cutting and dressing the cut to chase the threads.
Honestly even a hacksaw. it's not like you're cutting through inches of material. it's a hollow axle.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-19-24, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
My main issue with freewheels is the lack of high quality and the ability to customize them.

I “build” my cassettes by mixing and matching; even different mfg’s. There is a definite weight penalty, especially for weight weenies, because I have to use full cogs and not ones that use a carrier. Just take them apart and put them back together the way I want.

John
And way easier to clean! Oh how I long for the days when I had access to a full machine shop at work, with a solvent parts-cleaner; For a 1X cassette I would just turn it on, aim the jet, walk away for a while, maybe use a long-bristle brush. Don't have now, so cleaning is something I'll dread if I go 1X. But the big cogs need to be riveted to a carrier for lateral stiffness.

1X was also primo-expensive in years past, but now prices are starting to be reasonable. I don't want to spend more than $30 for a cassette, given that they need replacing periodically, with my amount of riding. It's a townie, not a race bike.
Old 03-02-24, 09:14 AM
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Thanks! Not at all cheap, but I like what I'm reading. 4130 has excellent strength and toughness when properly processed.
Agree with Duragrouch - heat-treated 4130 (a chrome moly steel) has excellent properties. And rolled threads are stronger than cut, though I would guess that almost all axles are roll-threaded. So the refrrenced item looks to be top quality. But that price! $41 for a single axle. Makes my eyes water a bit...