Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Upgrading 2012 road bike vs. buying new

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Upgrading 2012 road bike vs. buying new

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-22, 09:32 AM
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfilm
1. Would a new bike with carbon frame reduce weight noticeably? (Budget on low end ~ 2K)
TL,DR version: You want a carbon-frame bike and you're turning to us for confirmation. Move right along, dude.

​​​​​2. What are the benefits of getting a new alloy bike with upgrades (i.e. Ultegra + hydraulic brakes) vs. keeping mine and upgrade components. Is it worth the extra cost?
None whatsoever. What would be beneficial is for you to ride your perfectly good 2012 Fuji right about now.

3. If I sell my used one, should I tune up/spend money on it, or simply clean it and put it on sale?
You should tune it up/spend money on it, clean it up, and ride it.

4. Considering a current back injury and still wanting a light/fast bike, is there any upgrade or feature to consider that would improve impact absorption?
A better question would be: How can I train myself to ride better on rougher roads with bumps, potholes and open manhole covers? Answer: Slowing down and paying attention would be good starting points. A new bike isn't going to magically heal your back injury, you know.

Thanks!
You're welcome. Now how about you go make your 2012 Fuji rideable and ride it?
Old 06-18-22, 10:35 AM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,324 Posts
Personally, I think you have already moved on. Your Fuji may have never really been the right bike in your mind and no upgrading will magically change it.

Clean it and sell it and buy a bike you’ll want to take care of.

John
Likes For 70sSanO: