Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon road rim wheels for $135.66 and free shipping

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon road rim wheels for $135.66 and free shipping

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-22, 04:16 PM

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Wheels delivered. They came in a Wheelmaster box from JBI. JBI is a cycling distributor and I am 95% sure the prebuilt wheels that Velomine has sold for years are all from JBI. Wheelmaster and Origin8 are a couple of JBI owned brands.

Anyways, the wheels are true, and spoke tension feels fine(just tugging). Since its basically arctic degrees outside right now, I look forward to spinning them once the grease is no longer frozen.
The spoke holes arent the drilled the cleanest. Nothing that I really care about though.
Hopefully I dont die on my backup to the backup road bike when its ridden this coming year.
I think it depends with Velomine. I've definitely received wheelsets that have been drop shipped from QBP, but also I've made requests for small changes in their wheelsets and they've obliged for no cost added. I believe a lot of their inventory is still built in house.

Hope you enjoy the wheels! Screaming deal for a brand new set regardless the name on them or the average weight.
Old 12-21-22, 04:18 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5019 Post(s)
Liked 8,207 Times in 3,882 Posts
Wheels delivered. They came in a Wheelmaster box from JBI. JBI is a cycling distributor and I am 95% sure the prebuilt wheels that Velomine has sold for years are all from JBI. Wheelmaster and Origin8 are a couple of JBI owned brands.

Anyways, the wheels are true, and spoke tension feels fine(just tugging). Since its basically arctic degrees outside right now, I look forward to spinning them once the grease is no longer frozen.
The spoke holes arent the drilled the cleanest. Nothing that I really care about though.
Hopefully I dont die on my backup to the backup road bike when its ridden this coming year.
Which ones did you get?
Old 12-21-22, 04:32 PM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by theblackbullet
I think it depends with Velomine.
One note about wheels built by Velomine. They don't stress relieve their wheels. They even have a note on the box that states their wheels will need to be re-trued after 200 miles. Since I build wheels, that isn't an issue. But to me, this is really an incomplete and poor build. If you hear pinging on the first ride, the wheels were not completed.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-21-22, 04:34 PM

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
awesome! mine are due to arrive friday, they likely won't see outside action for a couple of months
Old 12-21-22, 06:21 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11016 Post(s)
Liked 7,562 Times in 4,221 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Which ones did you get?
36mm
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-21-22, 06:27 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Lombard
One note about wheels built by Velomine. They don't stress relieve their wheels. They even have a note on the box that states their wheels will need to be re-trued after 200 miles. Since I build wheels, that isn't an issue. But to me, this is really an incomplete and poor build. If you hear pinging on the first ride, the wheels were not completed.
Yeah, I've picked up 2 wheelset from them and both had that warning. They were both from JBI originally and clearly machine built. For the component quality, I think they are great wheels, even if they weren't relieved and adjusted before delivering to me. One set is on its 3rd frame, probably 6 years, and who knows how many miles of gravel and pavement...tons. I adjusted a couple spokes after a ride around the block with many bunny hops. Haven't touched the spokes since.

It's funny, I have some really high quality wheels, some good wheels, and budget wheels. The budget have been just as reliable as the better ones. Even still, I plan to build up a high quality wheelset this coming year...I guess mostly just because it's neat to have nice things.
Old 12-21-22, 07:23 PM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Yeah, I've picked up 2 wheelset from them and both had that warning. They were both from JBI originally and clearly machine built. For the component quality, I think they are great wheels, even if they weren't relieved and adjusted before delivering to me. One set is on its 3rd frame, probably 6 years, and who knows how many miles of gravel and pavement...tons. I adjusted a couple spokes after a ride around the block with many bunny hops. Haven't touched the spokes since.

It's funny, I have some really high quality wheels, some good wheels, and budget wheels. The budget have been just as reliable as the better ones. Even still, I plan to build up a high quality wheelset this coming year...I guess mostly just because it's neat to have nice things.
Some budget stuff can be quite good, others not so much. Same with high end stuff.

Machine built doesn't necessarily mean not stress relieved. I've owned Shimano machine built wheels which stayed true after many miles.
Old 12-21-22, 07:48 PM

The pub wheels website says the wheels are hand built “Our ‘stock’ (still hand built in MN) carbon wheelsets. They’ll be built by a master wheel builder whose pedigree includes over 30 years in the industry. He’s been a sponsored cyclist, he’s worked in the Shimano Pro Road Pits, and spent the last 22 years dedicated to wheel building. We pair our knowledge about wheel building with our knowledge about you for a truly game changing experience.”

I suppose even if they are quality controlled by someone it would be decent enough.
Old 12-22-22, 10:38 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
The pub wheels website says the wheels are hand built “Our ‘stock’ (still hand built in MN) carbon wheelsets. They’ll be built by a master wheel builder whose pedigree includes over 30 years in the industry. He’s been a sponsored cyclist, he’s worked in the Shimano Pro Road Pits, and spent the last 22 years dedicated to wheel building. We pair our knowledge about wheel building with our knowledge about you for a truly game changing experience.”

I suppose even if they are quality controlled by someone it would be decent enough.
QC of a new build is a part of the equation. Long-term durability in real world conditions is a much more important factor. I hope they work out for you.
Old 12-22-22, 01:55 PM
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Eric F
QC of a new build is a part of the equation. Long-term durability in real world conditions is a much more important factor. I hope they work out for you.
They are often very much connected. A poor build can affect long-term durability. Although a good build doesn't necessarily ensure long-term durability if the components are crap.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-22-22, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7046 Post(s)
Liked 11,095 Times in 4,740 Posts
When I needed some new wheels for my cheapie SS commuter bike, I went through my LBS. I could've gotten the same wheelbuild (=same components) from Velomine for $100 less, but I don't need any hassles after the sale -- I am not a wheelbuilder.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-22-22, 02:43 PM
Habitual User

They are often very much connected. A poor build can affect long-term durability. Although a good build doesn't necessarily ensure long-term durability if the components are crap.
Right. That was the point I was attempting to make.
Old 12-22-22, 03:02 PM

Anyone remember Neuvation wheels? They were around $200 in 2005 or so. Reasonably deep rims (for alloy), bladed spokes, etc. Complete junk. I don't think I even got much more than 500 miles on them before having a couple spokes break (on different rides, leaving me walking each time)...Then the hub flange broke when I was about 20 miles from home. The build quality was fine, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-22-22, 03:07 PM
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Koyote
Anyone remember Neuvation wheels? They were around $200 in 2005 or so. Reasonably deep rims (for alloy), bladed spokes, etc. Complete junk. I don't think I even got much more than 500 miles on them before having a couple spokes break (on different rides, leaving me walking each time)...Then the hub flange broke when I was about 20 miles from home. The build quality was fine, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
The analogy I like to make it that if you stick a dozen roses in a pile of poop, it won't smell like roses, it will smell like poop.
Old 12-22-22, 03:14 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked 7,409 Times in 2,981 Posts
To be fair, I've got a Neuvation R28 AeroX front wheel that never had a problem. I paid about $50 for it new, so it turned out to be a genuine bargain.
Old 12-22-22, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
To be fair, I've got a Neuvation R28 AeroX front wheel that never had a problem. I paid about $50 for it new, so it turned out to be a genuine bargain.
Sure, mine was one of his first models -- maybe even the first. But it did leave a rather sour taste in my mouth.
Old 12-22-22, 08:09 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked 7,409 Times in 2,981 Posts
Sure, mine was one of his first models -- maybe even the first. But it did leave a rather sour taste in my mouth.
I think the moral of the story is that inexpensive wheels can be a bargain (if you're lucky), but there is a real chance they will turn out to be a waste of money.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-22-22, 08:48 PM

I think the moral of the story is that inexpensive wheels can be a bargain (if you're lucky), but there is a real chance they will turn out to be a waste of money.
Thanks, you've articulated it better than I did. There's probably an inverse relationship between the price and the risk level, other things equal.
Old 12-22-22, 08:49 PM
Sock Puppet

........or worse.
Old 12-22-22, 10:49 PM
Sunshine

If an $1800 Tiagra hydraulic disc road bike is discounted to $500, is the quality the same as a $500 road bike that typically sells for $500?

This has been a funny thread to watch and participate in. I have the wheels in hand and the quality seems perfectly fine. Wow there has been a hilarious amount of assumption, speculation, skepticism, and general misunderstanding in the thread.
Old 12-24-22, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I ordered the 36's on Monday the 19th after seeing the deal here. My order still says processing. Is that normal for this company?. With budget shipping, I didn't expect it fast, but was hoping for some kind of update. Anyone else experiencing the same?
Happy Holidays to All!!
Old 12-24-22, 01:59 PM
Sunshine

Originally Posted by JustinHS
I ordered the 36's on Monday the 19th after seeing the deal here. My order still says processing. Is that normal for this company?. With budget shipping, I didn't expect it fast, but was hoping for some kind of update. Anyone else experiencing the same?
Happy Holidays to All!!
Mine delivered 2 days after order.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-24-22, 02:04 PM

I bought mine the 19th and they shipped the 20th and were originally supposed to arrive yesterday but I suspect fedex has disruptions due to weather so they’re still out there. I had them shipped to my parents since we’ll be out of town this next week
Old 12-24-22, 02:06 PM
Catching Smallmouth

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 1985 Trek 460, 2005 Lemond Tourmalet, 1984 Schwinn LeTour 'Luxe, 1988 Trek 400T, 1985 Trek 450, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1993 Diamond Back Apex, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Prologue, 1978 Trek TX700, Sannino

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 79 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Mine got here today. I took the hubs apart. Quality is on par with Novatec or Formula with cartridge bearings. I'll de-stress them, check spoke tension and true as needed.

If I can decode their rims for sale I'll build a set of their deeper carbon rims.

Last edited by BradH; 12-26-22 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-24-22, 02:56 PM

If an $1800 Tiagra hydraulic disc road bike is discounted to $500, is the quality the same as a $500 road bike that typically sells for $500?.
Show me this Tiagra-equipped hydraulic disc road bike that is selling for $500, and I’ll take this question seriously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.