Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Small sized front panniers

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Small sized front panniers

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-20, 07:58 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 796 Posts
Hey there Mr Ham jambon, are you actually looking to get some front panniers, or just a conversation starter?
what is your idea of small, litres wise?

seems to me the ortlieb city and gravel ones are the lightest ones on the market, ----in that 25l size that is.

but then you get into drybags and non front rack stuff. But that's a whole different kettle of fish.

If serious about weight, a non low rider rack, ie platform rack, sufficiently long enough to take arkel dry lites, would still have about 20 liters but very very light panniers at about a pound I think for the pair.
but with velcro attachment, so not easy off.
I have a pair but only have used on a rear rack.
100% waterproof, super light, but not super tough, must use common sense.

realistically their main downside is not being fast to put on and take off...but 450g or one pound.....
Old 04-29-20, 11:33 AM

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
These are the cheaper, lighter weight version of Ortlieb front rollers:

https://www.ortlieb.com/sport-roller-city+F6002
Bought these by mistake a few years ago. They are much more difficult to close than standard front rollers - you have to fold the top and then press the fastex in place. (Standard allows you to set fastex first, and tighten afterwards).

They are a great alternative if you typically keep them less than full, though
Old 04-29-20, 11:39 AM

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
[... snip ...]
  1. Using regular front panniers and skipping the rear panniers. I loved this setup for a light load, but abandoned it when I went ultralight and stopped using panniers altogether. I'd still consider using it depending on the bike and the load.
Could you expand/post pics? We typically tour with front panniers (2x12.5). Ultra light. Would be curious to see and understand what are the benefits of a (I presume) bike packing setup.
Old 04-29-20, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Could you expand/post pics? We typically tour with front panniers (2x12.5). Ultra light. Would be curious to see and understand what are the benefits of a (I presume) bike packing setup.
I have done a variety of things with the U/L packing. Most of them were a little unconventional and involved strapping stuff sacks on the bike using a light rack on the rear and sometimes a tiny rack on the front. Sometimes I carry a couple pounds in a little backpack. Below are links to journal pages that have pictures of a couple of my weird rigs.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...id=296877&v=22
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...=41&size=large

And a link to a page with a picture of a rig with rear rack and front panniers and a 22# base weight.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...id=258117&v=6H
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 04-29-20, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
I think that will depend on the length of your top tube. They only take up 10 cm (less than 4 inches) on your top tube. If you're banging your knees on that your bike is probably too small.
My bike is too small, that's too funny. I just rode 50 miles to DC today. I tend to average 5K miles (8K km) per year, bike size is fine.
When I (and many others) stand to mash up a hill your knees get very close to the front of the top tube and handlebars. I have used a bento box on my top for many rando rides over the years and my pants often rub the bento boxes velcro strap. The Bento box is much more narrow than your saddle bags, just saying.

I guess, if you never mash, you'll be fine.
Old 04-29-20, 04:24 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 796 Posts
The Monster Mash, it's a graveyard smash!

Oops, showing my age....
Old 04-29-20, 04:44 PM
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
The Bento box is much more narrow than your saddle bags, just saying.
That's not a hard bar to reach to be honest.

Then again, I ride a 64cm frame and could go even taller.

All joking aside, I understand what you are saying. Those panniers were designed for upright English roadsters so hitting them was less of a risk.

Last edited by JaccoW; 04-29-20 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-09-20, 03:19 AM

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Circa (Rd Dist), 2020 Giant Toughroad (Rd Tour), 2021 Trek Allant+ 8S (eCommute), 2021 Scott Aspect 940 (Mt HT), 2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29er (Mt FS), 2022 Scott Spark 960 (Mt FS)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts
I have a pair of Ortlieb Gravel Pack panniers - 12.5L each, and they have double bottom rack hooks, so are really stable