Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weekend Cycling/Exercise Reports - Dec 14/15

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Weekend Cycling/Exercise Reports - Dec 14/15

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rode Malibu Canyons this weekend, while here for a business trip.

First 26 miles:

https://www.strava.com/activities/100375285

I dunno if this is correct elevations, or if there was an error on my upload.

Then a cool down from Malibu to Santa Monica/Venice and back, for a beer and a schnitzle, that i didnt record.

So total almost 50miles
Old 12-16-13, 09:48 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Saturday morning rode the mountain bike with my 7-year old buddy boy as the sun came out and melted the frozen frost that was covering everything in the Bohemia landscape of Czech Republic. He was good for about an hour. After lunch I took the road bike out for a few hours until the light began to wain. Stopped for hot tea at a holiday fair at the castle in Strakonice.
Old 12-16-13, 09:50 AM

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saturday morning on the Withlacoochee Trail 70-77 degrees and perfect for our 35 mile ride...2 PM the skies opened up and we had 3-5 inches of rain Saturday and Sunday.
Old 12-16-13, 09:53 AM

Bikes: Lauf True Grit; Trek Madone, Domane and Checkpoint; EMB-505

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Did about 46 minutes on one of the bike machines at a downtown hotel in a White Plains, NY, on Saturday. Sunday was a loss for exercise - long work day.
Old 12-16-13, 10:04 AM
Enjoying Every Mile

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Edit*

Last edited by mLuMaN83; 12-16-13 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-16-13, 10:25 AM

Bikes: early 80's steel 12speed, CAAD10-3 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took advantage of the nice weather and got a 40 mile ride in..
Old 12-16-13, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
I’m in a bit of a cycling funk. I’ve missed out on my usual weeknight rides lately due to work schedule etc. My weekend total miles are down a bit as well. Anyways, I was out Saturday for 35 miles. Sunday, started with a flat tire on my road bike a few miles from my house. I walked home and grabbed my hybrid and took off again. It was overcast, cool and breezy, but I got to try out the recently opened Courtney Campbell trail. I thought the trail completely crossed from Tampa to Clearwater, but no. I’m hoping there are plans to finish it. Not the most enjoyable ride, but I still got in 35 miles or so.
Yeah...when it stops, it's pretty lousy too. You have to cross over 4 lanes to keep going to clearwater, and even then you have to take a side road when you get over the bay. I'd rather loop north and go up to westchase, then back down.
Old 12-16-13, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by JReade
Yeah...when it stops, it's pretty lousy too. You have to cross over 4 lanes to keep going to clearwater, and even then you have to take a side road when you get over the bay. I'd rather loop north and go up to westchase, then back down.
Honestly, I don’t do a lot of MUP’s anyway and probably won’t repeat unless I’m really in the mood for a change up. I was also not fond of those busy cross streets on the Tampa side when you first get started. I’d rather go more N.W. to the Upper Tampa Bay Trail/Park or farther south over Gandy Bridge to St. Pete, if I’m heading west.
Old 12-16-13, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
Honestly, I don’t do a lot of MUP’s anyway and probably won’t repeat unless I’m really in the mood for a change up. I was also not fond of those busy cross streets on the Tampa side when you first get started. I’d rather go more N.W. to the Upper Tampa Bay Trail/Park or farther south over Gandy Bridge to St. Pete, if I’m heading west.
I avoid the MUP's unless it's a means to an end. If I'm mupping, I'll go to suncoast trail and just grind out miles, and flatwoods has a few decent groups that will run laps. I'm in South Tampa, so I'll just ride over gandy out that way as well.
Old 12-16-13, 02:15 PM

Bikes: 2013 Focus Izalco Pro, Soma Grand Randonneur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got out on Saturday for 30 miles with a friend. It had been two weeks since I touched my bike. I sucked, bad. Between work, weather, and family, I just haven't had much time to ride. Time to set up the trainer permanently in the garage and get on it at least twice a week.
Old 12-16-13, 03:53 PM

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
took my new CX bike on a lil adventure. Went up Nate Harrison grade (dirt side of Palomar Mt). Was pretty gassed from my gearing, stayed in 36x28 whole way up (I'm going to need to switch to a 30-32T cassette). Tried to play w/ tire pressure to get off the saddle on the consistant 10+% grade but ended up pinch flatting half way up when I got to the top and running outta daylight and energy. Sleeping in and starting about 9:30 didn't help but I blessing not to have to layer up leaving that late. Temps on the grade was upper 60s and pockets warmth that the garmin read 82-84* where there wasn't much wind. Cooled down once I got to the tree line but once I flipped to the other side of the ridge the temps dropped to the low 50's plus gusty winds. That made for a pretty cold decent back down into the warm valley. Disc brakes on a 5000ft decent is darn pretty cool but not knowing how much to lean high roller knobby cx tires on the other hand was a bit scary. Brakes did a great job slowing me down enough not to lean in too much. Zero brake fad from that long decent https://www.strava.com/activities/100209044

half way up Nates pano by jsig1, on Flickr

up up and away....err more ups by jsig1, on Flickr

around 4100ft on nate harrison grade by jsig1, on Flickr

chilly above 5k ft by jsig1, on Flickr

clear views to downtown san diego from Palomar Mt by jsig1, on Flickr

Overlooking southgrade by jsig1, on Flickr
Dayum! what a view. I could pay to live there!
Old 12-16-13, 03:56 PM

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
35 miles in 30 degrees, drizzling on saturday and helluva wind. Fell like a log and no major injuries just knee bruise and thankful for the leg warmers.
Old 12-17-13, 07:02 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Sunday - lots of walking. As an education guess (we used a pedometer for some of it), I'd put it at about 5 km all up.

Today ... we went for a long walk on the beach. It was nice out there and the ocean water was warm to wade in. It's a bit more of workout walking through waves.
From Sunday's walk ...

Old 12-17-13, 09:55 AM

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TexMac
35 miles in 30 degrees, drizzling on saturday and helluva wind. Fell like a log and no major injuries just knee bruise and thankful for the leg warmers.
I absolutely don't know how folks can ride in those temperatures...I am in total awe... I rode this morning in 48 degree weather...wore my Pearl long pants under my bike shorts, wore wool socks, skull cap under my helmet, long sleeve shirt, Pearl bike jacket, and full gloves over my bike gloves. My neck, hands, and face were still extremely cold. My eyes wouldn't stop watering, and my nose wouldn't stop running. From now on under 50 degrees I will run not ride.
Old 12-17-13, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Visited the Bay Area over the weekend and was able ride with my brother. Beautiful ride on familiar road in and around the Santa Cruz mountains. I love the long slow climbs and the fast, winding descents! 37 miles with 3,150' of climbing. https://www.strava.com/activities/100630257

This is us after climbing back up 84 from the bottom of Old La Honda Road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 12-17-13, 01:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yankeetowner
I absolutely don't know how folks can ride in those temperatures...I am in total awe... I rode this morning in 48 degree weather...wore my Pearl long pants under my bike shorts, wore wool socks, skull cap under my helmet, long sleeve shirt, Pearl bike jacket, and full gloves over my bike gloves. My neck, hands, and face were still extremely cold. My eyes wouldn't stop watering, and my nose wouldn't stop running. From now on under 50 degrees I will run not ride.
When you have fulltime job and kids you take whatever mother nature give you to ride outside
Old 12-17-13, 07:49 PM

Bikes: '12 Felt F75X, '11 Scott CX Team, '08 Specialized Singlecross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you have fulltime job and kids you take whatever mother nature give you to ride outside
+1

For me, this is the major driver. But I would be kidding myself if I said I did not gain some satisfaction from knowing that most folks would not venture out when I do. For the most part, I don't see many cyclists on my rides in the winter, but that may be more of a function of when I ride as opposed to the weather.
Old 12-17-13, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief Brody
+1

For me, this is the major driver. But I would be kidding myself if I said I did not gain some satisfaction from knowing that most folks would not venture out when I do. For the most part, I don't see many cyclists on my rides in the winter, but that may be more of a function of when I ride as opposed to the weather.
i think you ride too early for me. after Xmas eve i'll be back to my unemployed student status so i'll be out when it isnt snowing or below freezing.

i've been delivering packages with UPS the last few weeks so i'm getting pretty acclimated to the cold. 50F would be very welcome.
Old 12-17-13, 10:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief Brody
+1

With those conditions you would think I would be solo out there, but I got passed by a group of 6 going fast and was tempted to latch on but stayed within my focus. Saw about 40 other cyclist that I saw from 7am to 10am.
Old 12-17-13, 10:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dayum! what a view. I could pay to live there!
Was in San Diego in September and din't see that view. Rode around Coronado area.
Old 12-17-13, 10:39 PM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Friday is my day off, so my weekend is Fri-Sat-Sun. I rode 102 miles over 3 days. 57 mi Fri, 23 mi Sat and 22 mi Sun. This morning I got my Christmas present a little early and rode 18 pre-dawn miles of intervals on my *new* trainer, to make it an even 120 mi for the week so far. The weather has been incredible in LA, it was 74 degrees when I got on the trainer on my patio at 5:15am. I had to text Mr. H to plead for a fan 10 minutes in.

H
Old 12-18-13, 12:47 AM
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
Was in San Diego in September and din't see that view. Rode around Coronado area.
The view up there was clear enough to see downtown SD skyline, point loma bluffs and even the two big Coronado Islands on the US/MEX border. It was a pretty flawless day other then my flat tire and lack of more time to enjoy it up there.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.