Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Good mechanics...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Good mechanics...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-21, 12:50 AM
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That’s what I really like about my co-op. I’m not there to make a customer happy. I’m there to help people fix bikes. Although I do a lot of wrench turning, the people who come to us are supposed to do their own work.
I understand. Though it could be argued that any work with people boils down to making them happy. Co-op is making people like me (and, I suppose, you) happy - those who like fixing their own bikes.
And, just like any work - it should be a two-way thing. If you aren't happy, if you don't enjoy it, find something you do enjoy (well, unless that pays very poorly in modern capitalism - then you're screwed! ).
Old 01-25-21, 04:08 AM

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by justinschulz9
there are easy concepts like changing a tire or truing a wheel...
but what about tough concepts. where do most of you guys get the hands on experience for say a hydraulic brake job? or adjusting bluetooth shifters?
it would be nice if those grey beards were around more often for us younger guys learning deep in our passions.
Qualified mechanic, tick. Degree in engineering and design, tick. Many years working on designing, developing and repairing, tick. Grey beard, tick.

My advice - be interested, talk to people, never be too proud to work on anything that looks crap, and never trust serial multi-quoters

I owe a deep ocean of gratitude to a mechanic called Fred Barrington, to whom no task seemed impossible once broken down into small enough parts, always explained things to clients in ways they could understand, and kept on smiling no matter how much the foreman went yabbitty yabbitty yabbit.
Old 01-25-21, 09:10 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
... interpersonal skills, loves problem solving, takes initiative, detail oriented and diligent...
Reading down the responses before I typed mine. No need to re-invent here. ^ this sums it up pretty well.

I might add that the person must have strong spatial and mechanical/functional aptitudes as well. You might call this the ability to "enter the mind of the designer". If one can see how something was designed and how it's intended to work, then it's simpler to see what isn't doing what it was intended to do Those are 80% of the problem solving skills.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 01-25-21, 10:05 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
I understand. Though it could be argued that any work with people boils down to making them happy. Co-op is making people like me (and, I suppose, you) happy - those who like fixing their own bikes.
And, just like any work - it should be a two-way thing. If you aren't happy, if you don't enjoy it, find something you do enjoy (well, unless that pays very poorly in modern capitalism - then you're screwed! ).
I think you missed my point. I am happy helping people work on bikes. I’m happy teaching people how to work on their bikes. But the point is that they are working on their bikes. The perfection and quality of the work is what they put into it. I’m also happy that don’t have to deal with customers who have unreasonable demands. If someone comes into the co-op and starts to demand that I fix their bikes, I can ignore them or ask them to leave or send them over to the paid mechanics. I’ve never really had to do that because the other paid staff make it clear that the bike owner is the one who is going to do the work, not the volunteers.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-25-21, 10:19 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
Qualified mechanic, tick. Degree in engineering and design, tick. Many years working on designing, developing and repairing, tick. Grey beard, tick.
A description that probably fits a fairly high number of posters here on the Bike Forums. Not the thread starters, mind you, but a lot of responders.

My advice - be interested, talk to people, never be too proud to work on anything that looks crap,
Although I hate Big Box stores with a volcanic passion, I will work on them and get them working better than when they were built in the factory. They are still crap but at least they work better.

I owe a deep ocean of gratitude to a mechanic called Fred Barrington, to whom no task seemed impossible once broken down into small enough parts, always explained things to clients in ways they could understand, and kept on smiling no matter how much the foreman went yabbitty yabbitty yabbit.
Cool story.

and never trust serial multi-quoters
Hum? I seem to recall someone recently something about breaking something down into small parts that are easy to understand. Frankly, I tend to listen to the content of what people say rather then the manner in which the present it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-25-21, 12:38 PM
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
For me it's a couple of things.

1) Communication. Do they take the time to talk to you and ask multiple questions about the bike and how you are going to use it? Nothing worse then having something "Fixed" only to have to come back the next day and hear "Well I noticed that, but you didn't say you wanted that part fixed".

2) Is the shop clean and tidy? If they can keep their shop clean then they are going to be able to pay attention to details on your bike. It's not always true but I feel like it's a good sign that the Mechanic is a Professional that cares about his work.

3) A Mechanic is only as good as their tools. I'm not saying they need the best and most expensive but at least have the right tools for the job. If you walk into a shop and they are using a air hammer and a punch to remove a freewheel you might wanna run away.

If you want to become a Bike Mechanic the make it or break it is how fast you can repair something properly. I think taking a course and learning hands on is the fastest way to gain that skill. There's lots of people who can watch a video and learn a repair and think they are uber Mechanics. (myself included). So if it takes you 2 hours to complete a repair a Pro can do in 45mins. Well it's all billable hours and you are not going to make it.
Old 01-25-21, 12:47 PM

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 724 Posts
The best bike mechanic- Mechanical aptitude, good deductive reasoning abilities, a willingness to learn, and the ability to read instructions.

The best bike shop mechanic- all of the above plus ability to talk customers through what they're doing and why they're doing it, have a good repartee with customers.
Old 01-25-21, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
why would a guy with all those qualifications work in a bike shop?

The shop discount?

Ha ha... good observation - they don't. A freshly minted professional engineer who had done co-op terms in a fab shop would have a starting salary north of $100k. There are a handful of these folks working in the bike industry, at the big brands in the areas of design & quality control. But the auto biz would eventually scoop up the best of these, with shorter hours and better pay.

Bike Forums here has some deep talent and knowledge, with some very qualified mechanics. Retirees with technical credentials who also have the time and patience to tinker and actually read the instructions. And some who volunteer and big volume bike co-ops.

My experience as mechanic/ instructor at a co-op has taught me a lot beyond the technical aspects of the business. The best thing I've learned is careful listening and non-incriminating and gentle structured cross-examination of the bike owner. So being able to pose questions that get to the heart of the bike problem. My best learning from the instruction side is how to teach in such a way that gets the repair done, imparts the most knowledge, and leaves the student feeling that they are a genius and they want to work on bikes for the rest of their lives. I consider it a success if we sign-up an eager new volunteer every shift.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 01-25-21, 06:07 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,545 Posts
if OP is interested in learning fast in a structured way there is UBI https://bikeschool.com/

also some areas offer park tool school https://www.parktool.com/park-tool-school

I got back into bikes and wrenching on my own some years back. I had basics bike skills (pack a bearing, adjust brakes and deraillers) but learned a ton more by doing, looking things up and getting input from Bike Forums. Learned more helping at a bike charity and working on neighbors bikes..... especially what a BSO is and how great thumshifters are for simple bikes