Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Fit covered through Medical Insurance / Work Benefits?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike Fit covered through Medical Insurance / Work Benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
Any way to get this covered through insurance or health benefits? Primarily speaking within Canada, but may be a good opportunity for discussion in general.

Edit: When I say insurance / benefits, I am referring to extended medical benefits often provided by employers in Canada...e.g., through Manulife, Sun Life. I am NOT referring to using the Canadian Health System to fund this.
I'm with Greenshield and I asked them about it - their answer is NO.

Not quite sure with other insurers though.

for god's sake, pay for it yourself
why pay for something that you can POSSIBLY get for free?

That mentality basically summarizes what happened to the American economy.
Old 05-22-12, 11:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is for CALE262 as I can't send you a PM because I don't have 50 posts, so I hope this finds you. Try here:https://belmeadphysio.com/pt_bike.html

Haven't been there so I can't give any opinion.
Old 05-22-12, 12:56 PM

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Muricans don't know what real health insurance or employer provided benefit is like because we never had one; but that will never stop them from spouting out BS such as "pay for it yourself" or "you will have to wait for 18 months".

Par for the course on 41.
Old 05-22-12, 03:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaker
One point that is being missed by the OP here is that everything he is citing (physical therapy, chiropractic treatment, assistance with smoking cessation etc.) is likely covered because they are treatments designed to help you recover from and injury, illness, addiction etc. if you're trying to get a bike fit because you're current fit house caused injury, maybe there's some scope (my health insurance covered PT I needed to rehab my knee 5yrs back).

If it's just to make your bike more comfortable, I'd be amazed if you could get that past them. Still you never know until you ask.
Interesting that you say that, because I think you may be missing the point. Many things are paid by insurance that are preventative care or are proactive in general. They want people to do things that can prevent more expensive procedures down the road, and they are often willing to pay for a less expensive procedures upfront to help that cause. In this particular case, paying for a bike fitting could prevent them from having to pay for more expensive procedures down the road caused by riding a poor fitting bike. It seems pretty common in my experience for people to develop knee, back, kneck or other issues because their body isn't positioned properly on the bike, and parts of their body are moving unnaturally. Continue that over a long period of time and all of a sudden you are doing physical therapy for the next 6 months to fix it, or even worse your doctor requests an MRI to see if there is any internal damage. I have seen it on here before where people's knees hurt, they go to a doctor that isn't familiar with cycling, and they go through all sorts of diagnostic procedures to see what's wrong. Any one of those procedures are going to be more expensive than a bike fitting.
Old 05-22-12, 03:41 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
Muricans don't know what real health insurance or employer provided benefit is like because we never had one; but that will never stop them from spouting out BS such as "pay for it yourself" or "you will have to wait for 18 months".

Par for the course on 41.
Pfft. 18 months was anecdotal from one particular MRI story I was thinking about but in general, wait times are long. I've never had to wait longer than about 3 weeks for healthcare using my non-real health insurance down here in Murcan-land. We Murcans have health insurance in general although some people have none. Is it free? No. Nothing is free.

If I could get my health insurance to cover a bike fitting, I'd do it annually. They should buy me a bike too, I'm much healthier on the bike than off. That would be cool. Carbon fiber is more healthy than Aluminum IMO.

Old 05-22-12, 04:28 PM

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Pfft. 18 months was anecdotal from one particular MRI story I was thinking about but in general, wait times are long. I've never had to wait longer than about 3 weeks for healthcare using my non-real health insurance down here in Murcan-land. We Murcans have health insurance in general although some people have none. Is it free? No. Nothing is free.

If I could get my health insurance to cover a bike fitting, I'd do it annually. They should buy me a bike too, I'm much healthier on the bike than off. That would be cool. Carbon fiber is more healthy than Aluminum IMO.

The source and "prepared by" look interesting, just saying.
Old 05-22-12, 06:15 PM
SuperGimp

Could be, but the problem is real. The Canadians have no shortage of projects and committees designed to address the issue:

https://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/qual/.../index-eng.php
Old 05-22-12, 06:25 PM
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Could be, but the problem is real. The Canadians have no shortage of projects and committees designed to address the issue:

https://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/qual/.../index-eng.php
That link is from 2003. See if FOX news or the Republican party has anything newer or that provides some perspective on the data...

The main issue is about making wait times the same across the country which is a problem because of how big the country is and how few people are actually in it meaning that those living in sparsely populated areas are quite far from some things like MIR equipment, for example.

Keep in mind that there are still many communities in Canada that are only accessable by PLANE!

Also, balance wait times with bankruptcy and let me know what FOX thinks.

Last edited by Bob Dopolina; 05-22-12 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-22-12, 07:05 PM
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
blah, blah blah, no system is perfect...

All I know is that if I crash in a bike race I will get an ambulance ride to the ER and will get looked after...There will be no second guessing if I should go, will it cost me, how will I afford it...Sorry, but I ain't ready to give that up!
Old 05-22-12, 07:21 PM
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by rbart4506

All I know is that if I crash in a bike race I will get an ambulance ride to the ER and will get looked after...There will be no second guessing if I should go, will it cost me, how will I afford it
...Sorry, but I ain't ready to give that up!
And there would be riots in the streets if someone tried to take it away.

Every industrialized nation in the world save one...

Old 05-22-12, 08:56 PM
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by rbart4506

All I know is that if I crash in a bike race I will get an ambulance ride to the ER and will get looked after...There will be no second guessing if I should go, will it cost me, how will I afford it...Sorry, but I ain't ready to give that up!
Yup...ain't that the truth. Love when 'muricans diss our system I sure know quite a few cancer survivors that weren't out a penny; and are living happy to this day.
Old 05-22-12, 10:20 PM
SuperGimp

Yes, I'm sorry, the Canadian health care system is perfect, everybody gets care within a week of needing it and we down south have it all screwed up. I don't really have health insurance at all! I was shocked to learn that after reading this thread. I injured my foot 5 years ago, got an MRI later that week, had surgery the following Friday and paid my deductible. I didn't realize how messed up that was.

https://www.ontario.cmha.ca/policy_an...asp?cID=218226

I'm sure they're addressing wait times in ERs because it's so short.

We have our own ER problems of course.
Old 05-22-12, 10:27 PM
Mr. Dopolina

Yes, I'm sorry, the Canadian health care system is perfect, everybody gets care within a week of needing it and we down south have it all screwed up. I don't really have health insurance at all! I was shocked to learn that after reading this thread. I injured my foot 5 years ago, got an MRI later that week, had surgery the following Friday and paid my deductible. I didn't realize how messed up that was.

Are you even READING the stuff you're linking to or just going by the headlines?

This is an article about people showing up at emergency rooms who have MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES and the gov't is trying to figure out a better way to deal with them.

Another Fox News Fail.

Old 05-22-12, 10:40 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
Didn't know you had intimate knowledge of my finances...but I don't appreciate your condescending tone. The 41 population may accept this kind of response, but I won't.
Bite me you Canuck Commie Fred from Hell.
Old 05-22-12, 10:41 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Health insurance for a pro bike fit. Somebody shoot me. Then I'll go to an ER and find out my bullet wounds aren't covered, and the attending physician will say 'too bad you're not here for a pro bike fit, that we could have helped you with' as I'm bleeding to death.
Old 05-22-12, 11:40 PM
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by patentcad
Health insurance for a pro bike fit. Somebody shoot me. Then I'll go to an ER and find out my bullet wounds aren't covered, and the attending physician will say 'too bad you're not here for a pro bike fit, that we could have helped you with' as I'm bleeding to death.
But you'll bleed to death with good form which is, after all, what really matters.

Old 05-22-12, 11:42 PM
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Are you even READING the stuff you're linking to or just going by the headlines?

This is an article about people showing up at emergency rooms who have MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES and the gov't is trying to figure out a better way to deal with them.

Another Fox News Fail.
Sorry, I missed where Fox News was providing the link.

Attack the source, don't address the message. Good tactic.
Old 05-22-12, 11:59 PM
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NachoLibre
Interesting that you say that, because I think you may be missing the point. Many things are paid by insurance that are preventative care or are proactive in general. They want people to do things that can prevent more expensive procedures down the road, and they are often willing to pay for a less expensive procedures upfront to help that cause. In this particular case, paying for a bike fitting could prevent them from having to pay for more expensive procedures down the road caused by riding a poor fitting bike. It seems pretty common in my experience for people to develop knee, back, kneck or other issues because their body isn't positioned properly on the bike, and parts of their body are moving unnaturally. Continue that over a long period of time and all of a sudden you are doing physical therapy for the next 6 months to fix it, or even worse your doctor requests an MRI to see if there is any internal damage. I have seen it on here before where people's knees hurt, they go to a doctor that isn't familiar with cycling, and they go through all sorts of diagnostic procedures to see what's wrong. Any one of those procedures are going to be more expensive than a bike fitting.
No, I got the point. If I was in the business of insuring folks, I'd want to know the statistics of how many folks have sports related injuries that are causally related to their bike fit, what's the average cost of treating those injuries and does paying for every cyclist on my plan to have annual bike fits really cost me less money than PT/rehab on the %ge who do get injured. Honestly, I don't see it happening. Riding a bike is a hobby folks, you can't yet get an Rx for a Pinarello Dogma.
Old 05-23-12, 12:28 AM
Mr. Dopolina

Sorry, I missed where Fox News was providing the link.

Attack the source, don't address the message. Good tactic.
Attack the sarcastic response, don't address the fact you're posting links completely unrelated to your point. Good tactic.

Old 05-23-12, 08:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaker
No, I got the point. If I was in the business of insuring folks, I'd want to know the statistics of how many folks have sports related injuries that are causally related to their bike fit, what's the average cost of treating those injuries and does paying for every cyclist on my plan to have annual bike fits really cost me less money than PT/rehab on the %ge who do get injured. Honestly, I don't see it happening. Riding a bike is a hobby folks, you can't yet get an Rx for a Pinarello Dogma.
Exactly, which is why there may be an actuary sitting at his/her desk right now working up the numbers, or maybe they did already and made a decision. Either way, it isn't outside the realm of possibility that it would be covered even if it is unlikely.
Old 05-23-12, 01:16 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

It's certainly more perfect than what we have... but you wouldn't care, nor admit, because YOU think you have health insurance and that's what matters to you.

Wake up, there is no health INSURANCE if the risk is not spread to ALL.
Old 05-23-12, 01:29 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Soooo many generalizations in here, crossing borders.

If you are lucky enough to be employed by a company that pays for a majority of your healthcare, right on. Mine does not. I pay the lion's share.

If you live an Canada and your insurance pays for your bike, I'm not even sure I know what to say to that. Maybe I mis-read it, but that seems like an awfully generous provision in any policy.

I have to call my stupid insurance company to defend my right to make a claim for the butt-load of money I pay them each month. They just make stuff up when I have it in black and white. The CSR's don't know WTF they are talking about because everything is written in legalese. It is stressful and time-consuming to be right about something that twenty years ago was plain and simple.

The only benefit, if you want to call it that, is that it is a huge chunk of non-taxable money.

Isn't this supposed to get easier?

Hallelujah, Holy ****. Where's the Tylenol?
Old 05-23-12, 01:43 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RTDub
Soooo many generalizations in here, crossing borders.

If you live an Canada and your insurance pays for your bike,
No, I think the problem in this thread is that people never had Canadian-style health insurance making judgments based on Fox News-like sources.

No, the OP was talking about using employer-provided supplemental health benefit to cover a bike fitting. These supplemental health benefit in Canada is not paid for by taxpayers, and the employers typically purchased it through life insurance companies. Their main use is for the services for the health of their employees and covers things that's normally outside of medical care. And a bike fitting may be a fine justifications because it may help the cyclist avoiding injuries. The key here is that a doctor has to prescribe this service.
Old 05-23-12, 01:45 PM

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
How much do Canadians pay in income tax? What percentage?
Old 05-23-12, 01:49 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
How much do Canadians pay in income tax? What percentage?
About the same as you, Californians (fed/state combined), but no mortgage deductions, for people making up to ~$300k. After that, it's much higher in Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.