Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Look out! Newbie on the track

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Look out! Newbie on the track

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 08:35 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Good to read that you are OK and ready for "round 2 of Dan the Man vs. the track".

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
.......BUT, I will be back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgPePk3kGZk
Old 02-16-15, 08:55 AM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kudos to the OP for his pluck and determination. I'm no spring chicken but I hope to follow his example one of these days and get out on a track that's a couple of hours away.
Old 02-16-15, 09:30 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
Thanks to "reply with quote" facility the clean-up wasn't 100% successful!

I'm sure that if Dan is strong and brave enough to want to return to the track after injury he can take a few negative comments in his stride (and as far as I can see they are in a minority of one). The positive comments, rightfully, far outweigh the negative, and critical contributions don't need censoring unless they are slanderous/racist etc. in tone.
I missed that one. Got it now.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 02-17-15, 02:23 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I have been training and racing at Velo Sports Center, Carson, CA for five years. VSC is a 250 meter indoor wooden track constructed of Siberian pine and 45 degree banking on the turns. When I stated riding at VSC, I was already an experienced track racer from Hellyer Velodrome a 333 meter outdoor concrete track.

VSC has a certification class and certification instructor. They have accelerated classes for experienced trackies and other classes for new riders. The accelerated class was excellent and I share my locker and race and train at VSC with the instructor.

Here are some key points about riding the 250 meter track.

Rule of thumb is that one enters the banked section of the track with a minimum speed of 18 mph. The speed is increased the farther up the track one rides - 20 mph at the blue relief line and 22 mph at the balustrade or top rail. Most riders slide due to lack of speed. As one gains experience, it is possible to ride slower but then one has to assure that there is power on. What can happen is a rider is on the track and soft pedals a couple of strokes on the 45 degree banking. If the speed is high, it is not a problem. If the speed is slower, the wheels lose traction.

Crank length and bottom bracket height are an issue. Road bikes converted to fixed gear and then used on the track with longer cranks are more susceptible to pedals strikes. Again, if one has enough speed, the the bike is vertical to the track surface and there is no problem even with road bike and longer cranks.

Tire selection is critical. Colored tires and certain road tires are just slippery. Vittoria pista tubulars and their competitors are perfect for the 45 degree banking and are very sticky. However, all tires generate mold on the surface that makes them slippery. The way to manage this is to use alcohol and a rough scrubbing pad to alcohol the tires before going on the track. I always alcohol my tires before each session at VSC
Old 02-21-15, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I have been training and racing at Velo Sports Center, Carson, CA for five years. VSC is a 250 meter indoor wooden track constructed of Siberian pine and 45 degree banking on the turns. When I stated riding at VSC, I was already an experienced track racer from Hellyer Velodrome a 333 meter outdoor concrete track.

VSC has a certification class and certification instructor. They have accelerated classes for experienced trackies and other classes for new riders. The accelerated class was excellent and I share my locker and race and train at VSC with the instructor.

Here are some key points about riding the 250 meter track.

Rule of thumb is that one enters the banked section of the track with a minimum speed of 18 mph. The speed is increased the farther up the track one rides - 20 mph at the blue relief line and 22 mph at the balustrade or top rail. Most riders slide due to lack of speed. As one gains experience, it is possible to ride slower but then one has to assure that there is power on. What can happen is a rider is on the track and soft pedals a couple of strokes on the 45 degree banking. If the speed is high, it is not a problem. If the speed is slower, the wheels lose traction.

Crank length and bottom bracket height are an issue. Road bikes converted to fixed gear and then used on the track with longer cranks are more susceptible to pedals strikes. Again, if one has enough speed, the the bike is vertical to the track surface and there is no problem even with road bike and longer cranks.

Tire selection is critical. Colored tires and certain road tires are just slippery. Vittoria pista tubulars and their competitors are perfect for the 45 degree banking and are very sticky. However, all tires generate mold on the surface that makes them slippery. The way to manage this is to use alcohol and a rough scrubbing pad to alcohol the tires before going on the track. I always alcohol my tires before each session at VSC
The voice of considerable experience chimes in. Thank you very much for this. It occurs to me that the coach should have perhaps imparted some of these cautions to a class of newbies before putting us on the track. Then again, most of us might have just thrown in the towel before trying if he had.
I now have much more appreciation for the hazards and skills necessary to negotiate them.
Old 02-22-15, 07:36 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I've been watching the track World Championships on the TV today and all this week. The skill levels and speed needed to compete at that level are amazing, and it makes for a much more exciting sport to watch than road racing.

Disappointingly for the British team we seem to have stayed still, while the rest of the world has moved forward. I suppose someone like Chris Hoy doesn't come along too often.

Well done to anyone in the 50+ who has a go at track cycling.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 02-22-15 at 09:16 AM.