Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cyclists and Walkers

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cyclists and Walkers

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-23, 07:28 PM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,014 Times in 1,935 Posts
if you're tubeless & wax your chain, that gives you the default entitled right-a-way.
Old 08-11-23, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 203 Posts
I agree with everyone else here, if I'm B I slow until it's safe to pass. If I'm A, I may or may not slow, but will be at the ready should B try to pass.

I've been B once and done the stupid by accident. Went to pass some adult riders and had plenty of time to do so, not plenty of time to pass the 4 kids in front of them I couldn't see. I got around and I don't think A even needed to slow, but I think I made them pucker up a bit. As a result of this, I make sure to not just have enough time to pass, but have some extra. I.E., err on the side of caution.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 08-11-23, 08:54 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10475 Post(s)
Liked 11,991 Times in 6,139 Posts
There's ONE pedway I ride on, because it's only ever very lightly populated. It's wide, probably at least 8'. There's a dotted yellow line down the middle, and each lane is divided by another white line. My interpretation is Slow Traffic Keep Right. Based on my observations, maybe 70% of walkers agree. The other 30%? Based on where they walk, they're either anarchists, or British.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-11-23, 09:44 PM

Bikes: 1995 Trek Multitrack 720; 2011 Trek Multitrack 7300

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
I've seen every one of these -- including the one on skates on a gravel path (compacted limestone though). The same day the scenario I described happened to me twice, I was later behind three walkers the other day and said "Passing on the left" and all three started slowly moving to the left. Luckily, I still had time and said "No, I'll go left, you go right" and they scuttled off to the right, blaming each other for the dumb move.
Old 08-11-23, 09:50 PM

No, but I have no doubt the same things happen there. There are a lot of rail trails around here and people cyclists and walkers share them. 80% of the time, it's fine.
Old 08-11-23, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
When I encounter similar situations ... I reach for the drops, crank up the speed, and scream "Strava, Strava" and blow right up the middle and make everyone scatter, scrambling for survival.

I don't even have Strava.
Loved this one, LOL.
Likes For bmanpgh:
Old 08-11-23, 10:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies -- It's good to see the variety of thoughts on this and some of them made me laugh out loud.
This isn't what I'd call a "pedway" -- it's a wide, (probably eight feet or so) crushed limestone path that is intended for cyclists and walkers to share. It's a trail in the suburban/rural areas; not a sidewalk.

What was remarkable to me the other day is that this happened not once but twice where cyclist B did the wrong thing. In one situation, I was cyclist A and assumed that B wouldn't do it but, well, I was wrong and he decided that the silver-haired walkers were more-or-less gates on their personal slalom course. In the second, I was actually behind cyclist B and sensed that he was going to do the wrong thing but didn't say anything. Cyclist A did the right thing which, in this case, was to utter a single word to let cyclist B know what orifice he resembled.

As cyclist A, I hesitate to move over to give B room lest that encourages him/her to make the dumb move. I probably should though.

As cyclist B, I always slow down and wait for the other cyclist to pass and try to stay well behind the walkers to keep from spooking them ('cause that happens and for good reason). However, it's excruciating when cyclist A slows down and I have to practically stop to wait for them to pass.

This picture with people across the path will give you a sense for how wide it is...

Last edited by bmanpgh; 08-11-23 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-12-23, 05:49 AM

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
THIS. Always assume that someone's going to do something stupid.
Ditto. Walkers have dibs on safety, rider A has right-of-way for negotiating the passage but bears responsibility for keeping everyone safe. Rider B must yield to walkers first, then rider A as they pass the walkers and rider B behind, then pass walkers in as safe a manner as possible even if that requires dismounting and walking his ride past them until it's safe to continue.

Depending on circumstances – pretty much upon the awareness and age of the walkers – rider B shouting ON YOUR LEFT when approaching walkers from behind may help maintain safety for all. I do this fairly often when I encounter walkers in front of me, I've never had one not show appreciation for the warning in some way once I draw close.

When I was a kid we had little spring-loaded bell thingies on our handlebars for just such times. I'm not aware those are in common usage anymore. Freon-powered boat horns I AM aware of would be a poor substitute under pretty much any condition I can conceive of finding myself in.

Originally Posted by bmanpgh
This picture with people across the path will give you a sense for how wide it is...

Nice. You're fortunate in that. Paths where I ride are rarely wider than half the width of what you show there so manners are maybe even more important.

Last edited by spclark; 08-12-23 at 05:55 AM.
Likes For spclark:
Old 08-12-23, 05:53 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
some ppl are in their own little world. I find that lovers are the most absent minded

sometimes the decision is easy

some groups give you no choice but to thread the needle. but if their face is buried in their phone, you gotta slow down

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-12-23, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,679 Times in 789 Posts
If I'm rider B, just yell "On your left!" and watch the walkers move that direction, directly in front of rider A. Then go around the carnage.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-12-23, 09:18 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10475 Post(s)
Liked 11,991 Times in 6,139 Posts
A: Doing it right.
B: Thinks she's in England
C: Anarchist

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-12-23, 10:07 AM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,321 Times in 1,122 Posts
If I am rider A or B I slow down when I encounter pedestrians. I will most often slow down for cyclists too because they can think they own the path.

Old 08-13-23, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 769 Posts
The rail trail I ride every day has plenty of walkers and cyclists and, for the most part, it's not an issue. I've often encountered this scenario though and I'm wondering what other cyclists think.

In the example below, assuming that it's fairly evident that the two cyclists, A and B, are going to reach the walkers at the same time, what do you think each cyclist should do? I've encountered too many times where cyclist B decides to pass the walkers despite the fact that he needs to navigate between cyclist A and the pedestrians.

As a person who used to walk on the same trail with cyclists, I'm fairly conscious of pedestrians and how my actions might seem/feel to them regardless of how confident I might be of the move.

And yes, I've also wanted to the wring the necks of walkers in a multitude of situations (usually when there are more than two of them or they have a pet) but that's a different subject.

Both should slow and be cautious and courteous. But B needs to just wait until it's safe to go into the opposite lane to pass the peds.
Old 08-13-23, 04:05 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 749 Posts
Direction of the walkers? Walkers on our roads walk in the direction of oncoming traffic. It's often the same on our rail/trails. And, in this case, when they see B coming they are apt to go single file to give more room.
Old 08-13-23, 08:54 AM
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 421 Posts
Some people (i.e. non-cycling motorists-walkers) are oblivious. On my most recent ride…while riding down a road that isn’t too busy with traffic, but has ample parking on the sides…a car passed me and then pulled off to park on the RIGHT shoulder about 75-100 yards ahead of me. The driver got out and stood next to his car for a second or two, and looked only to his RIGHT (that would be straight ahead for me) to cross the road. As I got closer, it appeared to me that he was just going to stand there. So, with no cars behind me, I swerved out closer to the centerline. Then just as I got there…still having not looked in my direction…he began to cross the road and stepped right in front of me. I yelled and it startled him, and I swerved again just narrowly missing him by a couple inches. He says to me “Hey watch it!” as if the close encounter was my fault. If I had been a motor vehicle he would have been flattened.

Dan
Old 08-13-23, 09:04 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
, it's excruciating when cyclist A slows down and I have to practically stop to wait for them to pass.
Yeah ... ummmmm .... what? Do stop signs and traffic lights cause you ten-level pain? Do railroad crossings leave you lying, whimpering, in a puddle of sweat?

We share the road---we share the hole world--with a variety of people , and not all of them use what we would call "logic" or "reason" or even "awareness" in all situations.

Neither do we ourselves.

Whenever I am not inside my home or in my fenced-in back yard, I expect to have to react to Stupid Human Tricks. When riding, even more so. and on a few occasions, I have been the Stupid Human Trickster.

When I am perfect, I will never beat at fault, so I will not feel guilty when I accuse others .... but when I am perfect, I will have perfect compassion and will not get upset by my imperfect human compatriots.

I am not there yet, anyway. Maybe later on today, or maybe tomorrow.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-13-23, 09:57 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,853 Times in 3,345 Posts
I've had your situation happen all too often. I've started tricking the cyclist coming the other way into thinking I'm riding fast by shifting to a lower gear and pedaling a very high cadence. That seems to throw off their perception and they slow to stay behind the walkers or other traffic. When I use to coast as I approached the on-coming walkers, other cyclist behind them use to pass and not take into account my speed coasting correctly.
Old 08-13-23, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Whenever I am not inside my home or in my fenced-in back yard....
I'm inclined to lower my guard at such times also, but not entirely. Been surprised at some level more than once to an unwelcome intruder, even then. Just seems to be part of the human condition.
Old 08-13-23, 11:57 AM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
When I am rider A, I do not move far right initially. I stay more or less center of my side of the path to try to discourage an unsafe pass. This technique worked twice for me today and failed once. If they insist on hitting the squeeze, I'll move right and shake my head in contempt. Why would a cyclist who'd be upset if a motorist squeeze passed them, in turn squeeze pass a pedestrian. As rider A, I have to be aware that if B squeeze passes and the pedestrians do something unpredictable (which of course they never do) I might get caught up in the melee. I scrub some speed if B gets stupid.

As rider B, I start slowing as soon as I realize that we are going to arrive at the same time. I do not squeeze. I also try to stay far enough back that the peds don't hear me. I don't want them to feel any pressure to do anything. I want them to keep walking.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-13-23, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
As rider A, I have to be aware that if B squeeze passes and the pedestrians do something unpredictable (which of course they never do) I might get caught up in the melee. I scrub some speed if B gets stupid.
What I've bolded sums up my sense of how we need to think about outcomes in the fractions of seconds left for actions that can be taken to protect everyone's best interests.

We can't know with any certainty how the various participants will react; we can only imagine scenarios in which our choices affect the possibilities, then make our choice from actions we can take that might lead to the best outcome of what we see ahead.

Gets really complicated the greater the number of participants are involved, children for example, or pets.
Likes For spclark:
Old 08-13-23, 04:12 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 5,730 Times in 2,953 Posts
There is a MUP I used to commute on as well as cut my teeth on becoming a semi-serious rider. There are three under crossings with very limited sight lines, but they do have a line down the middle to indicate the lanes. Not surprisingly there have been several rider on rider and rider on pedestrian (either on the wrong side) accidents, most requiring EMTs. As a result, where sight is limited, I go full gas slow to a crawl.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-13-23, 04:21 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5023 Post(s)
Liked 8,213 Times in 3,883 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
There is a MUP I used to commute on as well as cut my teeth on becoming a semi-serious rider. There are three under crossings with very limited sight lines, but they do have a line down the middle to indicate the lanes. Not surprisingly there have been several rider on rider and rider on pedestrian (either on the wrong side) accidents, most requiring EMTs. As a result, where sight is limited, I go full gas slow to a crawl.
Nah, man. You want to spend as little time in hazardous conditions as you can. Go as fast as possible. Same applies to driving.
Old 08-13-23, 04:23 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 5,730 Times in 2,953 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Nah, man. You want to spend as little time in hazardous conditions as you can. Go as fast as possible. Same applies to driving.
In Germany, the maximum when driving in fog is ‘drive faster’ so you don’t get rear-ended.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-14-23, 09:57 AM

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I couldn’t believe it’s the other day when I faced the exact scenario above except I was A and a mother on a bike pulling a trailer with a young child was B. I assumed she would slow, keep to her side and then pass the walkers after I had cleared. But NO. She came out to pass around the peds and right into my lane. I yelled, WTF as I took an evasive measure and just barely stayed upright going around her and the trailer. The walkers were startled too since she did not announce her pass or ring a bell on top of me yelling at her. It could have gone so wrong.

If anything remotely presents itself like this in the future, I will not ASSUME and will slow the F down just in case.
Sounds like a typical day on the Burke-Gilman or Sammamish River Trail. Be careful out there which is why I avoid those two trails on the weekend.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 08-14-23, 11:40 AM
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I call that the "7-10 split maneuver".
That's a clever analogy, but I don't really understand it, because I've never been into golf.
Likes For Broctoon:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.