Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Question for those retired

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Question for those retired

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-15, 12:29 PM

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tomorrow is promised to no one. If you can afford to, retire. Need to fill time, go volunteer as a big brother or a soup kitchen.
Old 11-25-15, 12:30 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took the money and ran almost exactly 2 years ago, and for me it was the perfect decision. They kept the (supplementary) healthcare up for a bit, and just as it expired, the spouse's contract rolled over into a full-time job, so he signed me up for his benefits. It's all about doing things while you have the strength and the fitness to do them.
Old 11-26-15, 04:41 PM

Bikes: TREK DS4; Motobecane Gran Premio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Getting paid and not have to go to work is great... If you actually get enough money... If not then you can still work elsewhere part time and end up with a full time pay with both incomes which is OK too...
Amen. Been retired for five years, and have found that the worst day as a retiree is still better than the best day at work....
Old 11-28-15, 06:57 AM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I retired early three years ago at age 57 and have been able to make it work. In my case, I felt I could not wait longer, and would be dead by age 65, lol. I was working an IT job that would seem ideal to many but alternated between boring and super stressful, had some relationship issues, and I was beginning to develop what I felt were some early health-related problems, even though I wasn't taking any meds yet. I had childhood friends that died.

Early retirement allowed me to address the health issues - I quit drinking alcohol, began a better exercise regimen and diet, reduced my stress, and downsized the possessions. I rented my second home for income. Then I started traveling, and eventually put my things in storage and rented my primary residence also.

I have been living in SE Asia with my girlfriend for the past year. I rent a beautiful condo here in the Philippines with views of the mountains, city and distant ocean for $650 per month. I bike, swim and hit the gym regularly, have lost 15 pounds, and my arthrits is greatly diminished here in the tropics.

I didn't plan any of this, I just wanted to get out of the rat race and became more open to experiences. Life in a developing country is certainly not without inconveniences, but there are certainly advantages also, and it has been pretty fun and interesting so far. I go back to the States every six months and spent last summer camping and cycling in Oregon, Idaho and Montana. Hopefully this next year I will do a long tour somewhere.

Life really is short. Get out there and enjoy it while you can.

Last edited by mtnroads; 11-28-15 at 07:25 AM.