Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Whoa! Just calculated my on-ride accessories (inc. pedals) weigh nearly 2kg

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Whoa! Just calculated my on-ride accessories (inc. pedals) weigh nearly 2kg

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-18, 06:27 PM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
How are pedals an accessory? They're a fundamental part of the bicycle. You cannot ride without them.

Might as well say wheels are accessories.
Old 08-07-18, 06:29 PM

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by johngwheeler

It’s to get a common baseline for comparison. If you included pedals in the weight, which ones would you use? The lightest possible titanium ones or regular mid-price ones? It would add doubt to the real weight of the frame etc.

What is pretty certain is that any manufacturer who quotes weight will have stripped the bike down to the absolute minimum - probably leaving the air out of the tires :-)
No it wouldn't. You get the real weight of the frame by stating the real weight of the frame.

Wheels, tires, stems, bars, seat: all of that varies significantly from bike to bike. They're all essential parts, just like the pedals.
Old 08-07-18, 06:32 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You know why I don't worry about it? 2 x 25oz Camelbak water bottles = 3.27lbs of water

That's 1,481g of weight. 6+ months out of the year, I can't leave the house without at least 2 bottles.

Just means the bike is lighter getting home than when leaving.
Old 08-07-18, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
No it wouldn't. You get the real weight of the frame by stating the real weight of the frame.

Wheels, tires, stems, bars, seat: all of that varies significantly from bike to bike. They're all essential parts, just like the pedals.
I understand your point, but in general road bikes are sold without pedals and you add your own, so this is probably why manufacturers or reviewers simply exclude them. I think reviewers (who are presumably riding the bike) should provide a "ready to ride" weight, specifying the pedals that are used and their weight.

As for wheels, tires etc. these are generally a defined part of the build for a particular model of bike, so it's fair to include these in the weight. They will sell all bikes of that model with the same spec. You normally can't change this unless you have a custom build.

In an ideal world, every single major component (wheels, groupset, frame, bars, pedals etc.) would have its weight listed so you can see how it is distributed.

As it stands you just know that you have to add the weight of your chosen pedals - which can vary quite a bit.ou

It becomes a moot point when you add a bottle or two of water and the usual bike electronics!
Old 08-08-18, 02:05 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I weigh my bikes with just pedals because I could ride them just that way if I wanted to. Then I weigh them with all the "junk" that I ride with. I find the difference is about 1 1/2 lbs.
Old 08-08-18, 02:56 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I weigh my bikes with just pedals because I could ride them just that way if I wanted to. Then I weigh them with all the "junk" that I ride with. I find the difference is about 1 1/2 lbs.
That’s about half my “excess load”. What do you carry regularly?
Old 08-09-18, 01:15 AM

I carry a mini pump, tube, patch kit and two tire levers.
Old 08-10-18, 06:15 AM

So, thanks to you, I had to go weigh my seat bag. According to my Park scale it's 14 oz. (2 tire levers, Lezyne mini-pump, tube and glueless patch kit).
Old 08-10-18, 07:02 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
So, thanks to you, I had to go weigh my seat bag. According to my Park scale it's 14 oz. (2 tire levers, Lezyne mini-pump, tube and glueless patch kit).
Ahhh ... but did you weight the bag itself? You could be carrying countless unneeded nanograms there.
Old 08-10-18, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
On my commuter I consolidated all my bags into only one racktop bag. It wasn't for weight savings, it was because I lock up my bike outside and don't want to leave anything on it, but it did stand out that you have a lot of bags and bag adapters.

I also use a simple wired speedometer, for any more sophisticated tracking etc I use my cell phone. I always bring my cell phone with me so it might as well do double duty.

I'm not paranoid about weight past that, since I carry my ulock with me any additional weight is tiny in comparison.
Old 08-10-18, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Ahhh ... but did you weight the bag itself? You could be carrying countless unneeded nanograms there.
Weighed the bag with that stuff in it. Searched but couldn't find any nanograms.
Old 08-12-18, 03:21 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Interesting to note that you don’t carry any tools. I often wonder about this - I’ve only ever used one allen key to tighten my fenders, and don’t recall ever having had to adjust anything during a ride, so it’s been a dead weight until now.

That said, if I were going anywhere remote, where there would be little possibility of support or alternative transport, I would take everything I needed to keep the bike going bar major catastophes (broken wheel, frame etc.)

I can alsosee the possibility of having a minor crash and needing to realign bars, saddle etc. so at having at least the appropriate allen key is probably a good idea.
Old 08-12-18, 05:34 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
It’s pretty easy to get the weight down once you have a scale. There’s about a third of the weight each in wheels, frame, components. I did the weight weenie thing both because I enjoy a light and responsive bike, and because as I get older, it gets harder to heft the bike up on top of the car (shoulder injury). So when I built a bike a few years ago, I worked with a builder locally to do a custom stainless steel frame and got the bike down to 16lbs (sans pedals). What I discovered is that there is a lot of weight hidden in wheels that can be trimmed (tubeless is a good start), saddles are all over the map (A brooks is a monster in terms of weight, for example). But by being careful, you can get the weight down and while it’s more expensive it doesn’t have to break the bank either.

J.
Old 08-12-18, 06:10 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
over the course of decades, I have had a crank loosen, a seat post, a stem, bars .... hit a big bump or had a wreck and torqued stuff .... I have had cables break and needed to lock the derailleur with the limit screws .... have had chains break ... all kinds of stuff. And on more than a few rides i have found myself loaning a tool to a rider who "never needed one before."

But i cannot say my way is the right way. Some folks have never had a flat and are sure they can always get a ride. Some folks have never needed tools. Their experiences dictate their choices, same as mine do mine. So ... we are doing the same thing in different ways.

i have also had bottom brackets seize, or wheel bearings ... and I am not about to carry parts and tools to service those things. Whatever.

The least I like to carry is a Y-allen wrench (I think it is 5,6,7 mm---it is the three common allen sizes) and a two-ended screwdriver. I always carry a tube, usually two, and a pump. I have talked to people who said they carry CO2 and if they got more than one flat they 'd walk .... but I have yet to see anyone try that halfway into a 50-mile ride, and walking in cleated shoes hurts the cleats and the walker. Those are the guys asking if I have any glueless patches, and oh, the nozzle on that CO2 cartridge was cross-threaded (never that they cross-threaded it) , can i use your pump?

But hey ... they made it home same as i did, so who's to say what's best?
Old 08-12-18, 06:28 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've given up on QR levers, strongly favoring the ControlTech Race Skewers-- hey, saves a watt, right? Those need a 5mm hex to take a wheel off, and if I'm going to carry a 5mm, might as well carry an assortment.

When I was umm... heavier, I had to raise my saddle up pretty much daily, as it would slide down about 1/4" on every ride. So I've just gotten used to having tools. I feel weird without the tools. Started using this guy around the beginning of the year, no complaints:

Old 08-12-18, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
My bike ready to ride with all except water weighs 16.75 lbs.

Including bottle cages, Bolt & mount, front & rear blinkies, bell, power meter, 11/34 cassette, & bag w/

spare tire, pump, tire levers, 3 allen keys, pliers, chain tool, quick links (10 & 11sp), patches & glue, tape, bandages, gauze pads, money, pencil & paper, needle, thread & thimble

knife, zip ties, valve cores, valve extension, valve core tool, & poky tool.

Maybe less w/ different wheels but that's what's on there now.

Shoes with cleats also weigh 18 ozs for additional 3/4 lb saved.
Old 08-12-18, 07:04 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
See Tempest in my avatar? She has a rack made with rebar, a washing machine panel angled steel L rods custom welded and two frames from old fiberglass motorcycle panniers I replaced with Saddleman saddlebags, a taillight, it has gothic fenders and a tank.

Just relax. I can never get it fully other than you race.
Old 08-13-18, 02:41 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
My bike ready to ride with all except water weighs 16.75 lbs.

Including bottle cages, Bolt & mount, front & rear blinkies, bell, power meter, 11/34 cassette, & bag w/

spare tire, pump, tire levers, 3 allen keys, pliers, chain tool, quick links (10 & 11sp), patches & glue, tape, bandages, gauze pads, money, pencil & paper, needle, thread & thimble

knife, zip ties, valve cores, valve extension, valve core tool, & poky tool.

Maybe less w/ different wheels but that's what's on there now.

Shoes with cleats also weigh 18 ozs for additional 3/4 lb saved.
That's light! What is your bike?

Curious as to why you have links for both 10sp and 11sp - for the spare chain? :-)

And, I don't expect to be doing any sewing on my ride....but I guess you might rip your clothes after a fall, and it's a small weight penalty.
Old 08-13-18, 02:47 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast

Just relax. I can never get it fully other than you race.
Probably good advice :-) It just seems a shame to spend a lot on a CF bike, and then load it with excessive weight.

Ultimately, we need what we need for our given circumstances, and it's just a question of working out what this is. But I'd rather make sure that every item carried has some utility, rather than just lugging it around "just in case"...
Old 08-13-18, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
That's light! What is your bike?

Curious as to why you have links for both 10sp and 11sp - for the spare chain? :-)

And, I don't expect to be doing any sewing on my ride....but I guess you might rip your clothes after a fall, and it's a small weight penalty.

2008 Tarmac. It's 10 speed, but also carry an 11 sp quick link for samaritan purposes- it's light.

The needle & thread is for repair of the tubular tires that I run, 'tho odds of doing that out on the road are small- more of a nod to BITD.

The thing that I'm always promoting is to bring a small roll of 1st aid tape- useful for a range of issues.
Old 08-13-18, 02:31 PM

Interesting to note that you don’t carry any tools.
Actually I carry one of those 3-way hex wrench tools but it's in my back jersey pocket. I also carry my cell phone, some Hammer gel in a flask, and a couple bucks. On a short ride I don't usually carry any edibles.
Old 08-13-18, 02:35 PM

Saw your follow up and tried to delete my post but the site won't let me.