Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hetchins Duel

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Hetchins Duel

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-20, 12:01 AM
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1300 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4689 Post(s)
Liked 5,837 Times in 2,297 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
So big bump here as I was very interested when it originally came up.

I have a project that needs the HS spacer and want it to be even cleaner than these.

Anybody know of any 1 inch Inside diameter, one piece chrome or stainless tubing, pipe, or purpose made for this?

Also paging rideandgoseek for any followup from Creekside that may help.
I have some 1” ID mirror finish stainless tubing that might work
Old 03-05-20, 12:25 AM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4521 Post(s)
Liked 6,415 Times in 3,692 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I have some 1” ID mirror finish stainless tubing that might work
I'm in, pm coming.
Old 04-16-20, 06:58 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Here's what I came up with Tx to @gugie and Jamie Swan, exactly what I hoped for.

Likes For merziac:
Old 04-18-20, 01:29 AM
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,082 Posts
Here's what I came up with Tx to @gugie and Jamie Swan, exactly what I hoped for.
merziac , I don't know you, but you seem pretty smart about bikes and mechanical stuff, so I think I know the answer, but I gotta ask: Is your stem quill long enough to reach down below the threaded part of the steerer?

You probably know this but it bears repeating for the younger members: Stems tightening up in the threaded part of the steerer is pretty dangerous. With most normal traditional stems (e.g. not Technomic), you can't have such a tall spacer and so much stem sticking out. I don't recognize that stem you're rockin' -- here's hoping it has a longer-than-normal quill.

Looks fully awesome though, definitely stylish.

Mark B in Seattle
Old 04-18-20, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by bulgie
merziac , I don't know you, but you seem pretty smart about bikes and mechanical stuff, so I think I know the answer, but I gotta ask: Is your stem quill long enough to reach down below the threaded part of the steerer?

You probably know this but it bears repeating for the younger members: Stems tightening up in the threaded part of the steerer is pretty dangerous. With most normal traditional stems (e.g. not Technomic), you can't have such a tall spacer and so much stem sticking out. I don't recognize that stem you're rockin' -- here's hoping it has a longer-than-normal quill.

Looks fully awesome though, definitely stylish.

Mark B in Seattle
Tx Mark, no worries.

It's a VO Grand Cru stem, 180mm height, the bottom of the stem goes almost down to the TT and the threads end right below the top cup. Dave and I discussed this at length as I explained to him this would be a tall stack setup, we agreed on the extended HT and he left the threads only as long as necessary by design.

I have no shame about my bar/stem setups, most are way up and cranked up for my comfort so with drop bars I get a lot of

Interestingly to me the wedge is alloy and I greased it up good so it doesn't bind.

Here's a couple more good examples.

Old 04-18-20, 05:31 AM
blahblahblah chrome moly

I have no shame about my bar/stem setups, most are way up and cranked up for my comfort so with drop bars I get a lot of
You won't get any grief from me, I like my bars even with the saddle too. My racing days are 30+ years ago.

Here's a couple more good examples.

So cool! Jim made the triplized Dyna-Drive crank for you, correct? Must be one of very few on the planet.
I assume it's for 100 mm BCD, to take a Merz-brand granny ring?

Have you seen the 30t rings that fit that 100 BCD? Not that one or two teeth smaller is going to transform the bike, but if you ever need one, Bob Freeman of North Bend WA has made a few of them and sells them for a 'reasonable' price -- not cheap but they're good hard alloy and nice looking.

I made one myself a while back, by modifying a Mavic MTB ring, came out nice:

More pics of mine, and some how-to info here. I even show how to make a quadruplizer, if you want to use 4 rings.
Making your own is too much work though -- buy Bob's!

Mark B
Old 04-18-20, 02:27 PM

bulgie

Tx again Mark.

Jim used the Dyna Drive quite bit, this one was done for the 3rd owner who consigned it at Sellwood cycle where I got it and has Shimano pedal adaptors, this bike was originally Jim's that he built for himself, it is JM027. The BCD is 74, 28t.

I have one of Jim's tripleizer's and one of Bob's 30t as well, need some bolts for another Campy original that was stripped of them before it came to me, I have some Avocets but would like some better ones.

Here's another Dyna on JW338 with adapters that Jim made.

Old 04-19-20, 03:28 AM
blahblahblah chrome moly

bulgie
The BCD is 74, 28t.
Ach, I should have been able to tell by looking, now that you mention it -- the 100 mm BCD would be visibly bigger than that. Thanks for setting me straight.

Here's another pic of a Merz triplized Dyna-Drive -- I'm sure it's a 74 mm BCD as well:

PM me if you're looking for some Campy #818 bolts; I can probably liberate a set for you.

Mark B