Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Ebike battery charging

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Ebike battery charging

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-21, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Battery packs have an estimated number of charge cycles in determing their life expectancy. If I charge when the battery pack is at 75% SOC I will be doing so 3 times as many times per mile as if I would recharge at 25% SOC, and I will be shortening its expected life by roughly 66% in the process. This is why I like the approach Specialized took with their Creo bike and the optional Range Extender battery pack. The bike can be programmed with the smartphone app so that the motor first draws down the external battery before drawing power from the battery in the downtube or it can draw from both packs at the same time.
But unless I did not give it enough time, when I programmed the Creo to use the External Battery first, I lost all power on a long uphill. I was following a friend who just kept getting further and further away. I had expected the "programming" to automatically switch to the internal battery after the External (Range Extender) was depleted. It did not do so. As I said, maybe I did not give it enough time. I had to dismount, unplug the RE and then try catching up on the hill.
Old 11-17-21, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having multiple batteries works well, leave one at home on charge and swap them throughout the day. Saves a lot of time.