Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Lateral tire tread "wobble" on Clement MSO tubeless

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Lateral tire tread "wobble" on Clement MSO tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 01:33 PM

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebreak
OP, how do you like the tread on the MSO?
It seems like a nice compromise between road/offroad.
Does it work on grass, loose dirt, mud? If so I may try them for a cx race
Great on gravel and great on pavement, but for mud or grass, I'd look elsewhere honestly.
Old 09-30-16, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
I just put some MSO 36 tublessessess on my grinder and found an almost imperceptible wobble from the rear only. Front is perfect. Heck it could be a slightly loose spoke it's such a small wobble; not enough for me to care - it doesn't affect handling. That video of our wobble is out of control though.
Old 10-01-16, 03:34 PM

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Update on this. I've put about 500 miles on these tires now. I'm still riding the wonky front tire despite having a replacement. As I mentioned, because the tire is round I don't notice anything while riding.

Separate note: I was talking to a friend this morning who's a pro mechanic. He noted that he's seen lots of Clement X'Plor MSOs and PDXs with this wobble. He said that in general he's seeing a lot more issues with tire quality over the past few years from lots of different brands. It's strange, I've been riding and racing bikes for decades and never had this kind of problem before.
Old 10-26-16, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello! At Clement we stand behind our products 110%. Please email us at info@clementcycling.com and let's get you some replacements. Donn
Old 10-26-16, 01:38 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11027 Post(s)
Liked 7,574 Times in 4,225 Posts
Funny that this thread was resurrected by someone at Clement. I ride MSO 40mm tires on my gravel bike and for the last 6-7 weeks have started at them while they spin on the bike stand and on the road.
There is definite wobble that isnt wheel based. Thats obvious on the stand.

On the road though? Im being shook so much on the gravel that my tire not being perfectly symmetrical is absolutely no hindrance. Odd that I have such a randomly low level of care on this. I just love the tires too much and realize Im vibrating the bike hundreds of times a minute, so whats a slight bit of wobble.
Old 10-26-16, 02:50 PM

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Originally Posted by donnkellogg
Hello! At Clement we stand behind our products 110%. Please email us at info@clementcycling.com and let's get you some replacements. Donn
Your company already did, see above! I appreciate you standing behind your products.
Old 10-26-16, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Funny that this thread was resurrected by someone at Clement. I ride MSO 40mm tires on my gravel bike and for the last 6-7 weeks have started at them while they spin on the bike stand and on the road.
There is definite wobble that isnt wheel based. Thats obvious on the stand.

On the road though? Im being shook so much on the gravel that my tire not being perfectly symmetrical is absolutely no hindrance. Odd that I have such a randomly low level of care on this. I just love the tires too much and realize Im vibrating the bike hundreds of times a minute, so whats a slight bit of wobble.
Agreed. I'm usually very neurotic about bike stuff but this doesn't really bother me, mainly because I'm thrashing my bike on gravel anyway. As I noted above, I don't notice it even on pavement.
Old 11-05-16, 09:44 PM
Well-worn roadie

Bikes: Seven Elium SL, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem with a MSO 40. It caused a noticeable vibration when used on the front. At first I thought the wheel was out of true. The shop I bought it from replaced it with another one.