Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fat guys on road bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fat guys on road bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-05, 11:51 AM
Roadie, commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fat guy riding.

Sure, I lose the skinny guys on the big climbs. I'm over it.

I turned the corner on my ride Sunday down a beautiful incline into a pastoral scene lit by the rising sun. The dew on the farmer's fields was glistening. I had no chain. And no belly. And I laughed. Out loud. I laughed. I stood up on my pedals and bounced while laughing at the screaming beauty. A nice 5 mile drop ended and as I turned into the wind and what remained of my ride, I was picking bugs from my teeth. Damn. That's why I ride.

Not for the lycra, the weight or the bike.

BTW. When you ride, you LOSE weight. When you laugh, your LOOSE weight jiggles.
Old 09-13-05, 12:53 PM

Bikes: 1982 Bridgstone Altair, Serotta Track

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the best way to sum this up is, that when you make fun of, bemoan, or snicker at a fat guy on a bike, its no different then making fun of a fat person at a gym, or a fat person on a diet. I mean how can you put someone down for exercising, for being active?
Old 09-13-05, 01:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fat guy riding.

5'9"
220 lbs. (down from 240 - goal is 190 I have a broad frame for my height).
47 chest.
38 waist.
calves like footballs (or so my wife says when she makes fun of me)
all decked out in spandex (eek - it took some guts to put the shorts and jersey on for the first time and head out in public)

I just really like to ride. I'm glad I found an exercise that I enjoy so much - because I tried running and I hate it. I've received some glances and comments, but I could care less - I just remind myself that the little 150 lb whippet racing up the hill probably wouldn't make it to the top if he had an additional 70 lbs around his waist. I may be slower on the climb, but I always find the top.

Most annoying comment I've received: "What the hek are you riding that for?" in reference to my expensive race bike - insinuating that guys my size don't need cool bikes. What can I say? I like tech and I like to have a cool bike. My reply was "because I can". Hek, the cool bike helps inspire me to ride - Call me superficial, but I enjoy it more.

Most amusing comment I've received, from a very in-shape guy who was surprised at the pace that I kept: "Wow, you did great pulling that pace line - you're a great wind-blocker". I had to laugh about that one. When the guy realized what he said he laughed, too. That was a nice compliment.

Velo_Seth:
Velo - (from the latin velox) - swift
Seth - (from egyptian Set or Seth) - hippopotamus god

Last edited by Velo_Seth; 09-13-05 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-13-05, 01:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mahoolihan
Yanno ... I got all y'all beat. I am at 364 lbs (down from 385 in February). I don't care what other people think of me ... I am out there riding, and enjoying the bejeezus out of it. My new longest ride is 32.5 miles, and my new high average is 11.4 mph. Not good enough to ride with most of you yet, but I will get there. I haven't had a lick of trouble with my 20yo Fuji and no problem with traffic (maybe because I am bigger than some of the compacts on the road lol). Biggus said, "At the end of the day its not the bike its the rider and anyone who rides is part of our worldwide club." I *really* appreciate that sentiment.
With great respect I tip my hat to you, sir.
Old 09-15-05, 07:15 AM

Bikes: Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo_Seth
I just really like to ride. I'm glad I found an exercise that I enjoy so much - because I tried running and I hate it. I've received some glances and comments, but I could care less - I just remind myself that the little 150 lb whippet racing up the hill probably wouldn't make it to the top if he had an additional 70 lbs around his waist. I may be slower on the climb, but I always find the top.

And I tip my hat to you as well. As I was riding yesterday, I thought about having a shirt made that stated the obvious -- Fat And Getting Slimmer -- but then I figured the acronym would raise more chuckles than attaboys, so I decided against it.

Outstanding job Velo ... and great attitude.