Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New study finds that high cadence cycling offers no benefit to amateurs

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New study finds that high cadence cycling offers no benefit to amateurs

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 01:38 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
With little to no power output a high cadence is just energy wasted flailing your legs around.

Nothing new here.
There was a similar study with a similar conclusion a year or two ago. Yeah, at that kind of power and that kind of cadence, there's prolly more energy going in to bouncing the rider than going in to the pedals.
Old 02-13-19, 01:42 PM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
So ... your whole pompous post is based on an unexamined assumption? You didn't do the research to back up your claim, while ridiculing others for not accepting research blindly?
The unexamined assumption being that the journal doesn't use a peer-review process? What is your evidence that it doesn't?
Old 02-13-19, 01:44 PM
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by base2
The danger is when a publication publishes a non-peer reviewed "study."
Did they do this?
Old 02-13-19, 01:46 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Professional vs. recreational, ok, but what about serious cyclists?
Old 02-13-19, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
From the actual article
2 participants were triathletes at regional level with 3 years’ experience
Many triathletes have a habit of using low cadence.

..., so for them, "recreational" means new except for the 2 triathletes.
Does lumping these two groups together make any sense?
Old 02-13-19, 01:58 PM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Did they do this?
I have been an action editor (guy who chooses the ad-hoc reviewers and makes the executive decision on publication for papers in my specialized area) for a few decent biomedical journals and the answer is no. Sleazeball, predatory journals have largely fake review processes, but this isn't one of those.
Old 02-13-19, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Many triathletes have a habit of using low cadence.

Does lumping these two groups together make any sense?
Depends on if the differences were significant. I'm guessing they ran the statistical analysis and didn't find any between subjects. Remember the study isn't comparing groups, the variable being tested is cadence. Significant differences between cadences were observed even with the heterogenous subject group, that actually makes their findings stronger
Old 02-13-19, 02:11 PM

Welcome to another Bike Forums episode of "Let's second-guess the peer-review process and dismiss any conclusions that are at variance with our own expectation bias."

(Assuming International Journal of Sports Medicine has a peer-review process.)
You put too much faith in the peer-review process.

Being peer-reviewed doesn't mean there aren't problems with the study. It's not like peer-reviewed studies are never proven incorrect.

It would be irresponsible to think that this one small study decides things once-and-for all (whether or not it was peer reviewed).
Old 02-13-19, 02:18 PM

Depends on if the differences were significant. I'm guessing they ran the statistical analysis and didn't find any between subjects. Remember the study isn't comparing groups, the variable being tested is cadence. Significant differences between cadences were observed even with the heterogenous subject group, that actually makes their findings stronger
The study appears to show that people not used to riding with a high cadence are less efficient riding at a high cadence.

Is that a surprise?

Remember the study isn't comparing groups...
That isn't exactly true. The implication is being made that recreational cyclists shouldn't do it because they aren't professional cyclists.

Lead author Dr Federico Formenti from King's College London said: "Pedalling at cadence greater than 90 revolutions per minute is advantageous for professional cyclists, but appears inefficient for recreational cyclists. When cycling at low exercise intensity, skeletal muscle oxygenation is mostly unaffected by cadence, indicating that the cardiopulmonary and circulatory systems can effectively meet the exercising muscles' demand.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-13-19 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
IN OTHER NEWS

Narrower handlebars reduce aerodynamic profile and drag..............aaaannd ARGUE

I GOT to stop drinking wine in the middle of the day
Old 02-13-19, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
The study appears to show that people not used to riding with a high cadence are less efficient riding at a high cadence.

Is that a surprise?

That isn't exactly true. The implication is being made that recreational cyclists shouldn't do it because they aren't professional cyclists.
Even elite cyclists are more efficient at lower cadences, we've known that for awhile, so being used to riding at higher cadences might make you more efficient at those cadences compared to before, but doesn't necessarily make you more efficient than at lower cadences. And again, efficiency is not the same thing as performance, even though efficiency is higher at lower cadences, performance is higher at freely chosen cadence https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15503124

Last edited by redlude97; 02-13-19 at 03:18 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old 02-13-19, 02:47 PM

Even elite cyclists are more efficient at lower cadences, we've known that for awhile, so being used to riding at higher cadences might make you more efficient at those cadences compared to before, but doesn't necessarily make you more efficient than at lower cadences. And again, efficiency is not the same thing as performance, even though efficiency is higher at lower cadences, performance is higher at freely chosen cadence https://link-springer-com.offcampus....421-004-1226-y
I know that too.

Why is the OP "disheartened" by this article?

Is this recent article telling us anything new?

What should people be doing differently after reading this recent article?

Originally Posted by b0geyman
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0212120114.htm

Kind of a disheartening thing for me to read, as something I have been working on in my trainer sessions this offseason is boosting my natural cadence.
And again, efficiency is not the same thing as performance, even though efficiency is higher at lower cadences, performance is higher at freely chosen cadence https://link-springer-com.offcampus....421-004-1226-y
No, efficiency is not the same thing as performance. Considering only efficiency doesn't appear to be the whole story with respect the "advantage" of high cadence (for professional cyclists).

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-13-19 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 02:49 PM
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
This is quality content. Like everyone else said, find your own sweet spot for sustainable power. I never used a cadence sensor or a PM, but in the last couple years I've augmented my dumb trainer with some sensors and now ride in Zwift which tracks my "virtual" power, HR, and cadence. Turns out I tend to spin at 92-95 rpm when riding at my threshold. Dropping a gear to sustain the same power at a higher RPM drives my HR up through the roof, going up a gear to sustain the same power at a lower RPM does the same and fatigues my muscles more quickly. All the "study" I need.
Old 02-13-19, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
There was a similar study with a similar conclusion a year or two ago. Yeah, at that kind of power and that kind of cadence, there's prolly more energy going in to bouncing the rider than going in to the pedals.
You are right. I thought I remember this study being done before. This study might part of the peer review process.
Old 02-13-19, 03:32 PM
Occam's Rotor

You put too much faith in the peer-review process.
Do you have a better idea for vetting scientific communications?

Being peer-reviewed doesn't mean there aren't problems with the study. It's not like peer-reviewed studies are never proven incorrect.
Nobody ever suggested this. (I certainly didn't). What I find amusing is that any time someone posts some report of some study that says something at variance with the received wisdom on Bike Forums, it is immediately dismissed out of hand, often before anyone has even bothered to read the published article.

Exactly the same thing as this: 'Can Low-Impact Sports Like Cycling Be Putting Your Bones at Risk?' and countless other examples.

By contrast, no vetting process, or indeed any standards, are required, as long as one is on the side of the received wisdom.

It would be irresponsible to think that this one small study decides things once-and-for all (whether or not it was peer reviewed).
It would be irresponsible for me to make HIV an airborne virus, too. However, neither that, nor what you are claiming, has any basis in reality.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 02-13-19 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 03:41 PM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebreak
I bet we (bikeforums) could scare up 20-30 "amateur" riders with power meters and cadence sensors and compare power output vs average cadence
I hypothesize higher cadence is correlated with higher wattage, at decent power levels, say 200+ watts
That is what I've seen from studies. Note that they aren't measuring total metabolic efficiency. In general for steady watt output, efficiency for higher watts increases with higher cadence. If you can't maintain 200 watts high cadence is not more efficient. Of course there may be other considerations than just efficiency.

scott s.
Old 02-13-19, 04:45 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
They're still testing this? Even in the pseudo-science put forth by the fellas over at GCN, the best cadence was that of the self-selected variety. Mine appears to be 86, which I consider neither fast nor slow. I know folks that very rarely spin below 90, and others who almost never exceed 80.

I also can't be the only one that doesn't think anything under 100 to be "high cadence." At least to me, proper spinning is well up above 100, a place I almost never go-- unless I'm confined to a trainer.
Old 02-13-19, 06:49 PM

Do you have a better idea for vetting scientific communications?
Whether or not it's the best we have, it still allows quite a lot of invalid studies through.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-13-19 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 07:17 PM
Occam's Rotor

Whether or not it's the best we have, it still allows quite a lot of invalid studies through.
This raises the question of how the invalidity of these studies is determined.
Old 02-13-19, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
This raises the question of how the invalidity of these studies is determined.
A study is invalid if you disagree with the media narrative that the study inspired.
Old 02-13-19, 07:44 PM
Occam's Rotor

You just can never be too careful these days ...

Old 02-13-19, 09:19 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
A study is invalid if you disagree with the media narrative that the study inspired.
A minor quibble---the study might be totally valid. The media interpretation, and the media-consumable article and headline written specifically to garner attention, might be an invalid or less than accurate interpretation of the actual data collected.
Old 02-13-19, 09:32 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
People make the theory complicated. The following applies to all cyclists no matter their experience:

Rule 1: HR (cardiovascular effort) increases with cadence if power/speed is held steady
Rule 2: Muscular effort declines with cadence, if power/speed is held steady.

Corollary to Rule 1: Cardiovascular effort = oxygen cost. Oxygen is an unlimited consumable.
Corollary to Rule 2: Muscular effort = nutrient cost, of which fat supply is unlimited for our purposes, carb supply being limited by glycogen and food sources.

That's really all one needs to know. Cadence vs. pedal force is always a balance, given unlimited gearing.

Hence most long distance cyclists pedal fast at a relatively low pedal force, thus reducing consumption of an irreplaceable consumable - glycogen.
And thus riders with higher VO2max pedal faster for the same power than those with lower VO2max - because they can, and thus also reduce glycogen consumption..
And thus people on bicycles with poor aerobic conditioning pedal slowly. For them, glycogen consumption is not an issue because they can't produce the pedal force to get power up to the levels where they'd consume it.

And thus everyone needs to arrive at their own best cadence for various gradients and conditions. There's not one number that works for everyone, especially climbing, where I pedal 78 and a Cat 1 pedals 95. My self-selected cadence varies between 78 while climbing and 100 when bridging up to a group. Doped Lance TTed at 115. One arrives at their best cadence for various gradients and conditions through training while paying attention and consciously adapting to one's best combination of cadence and pedal effort, considering the length of ride being attempted. The practice is the complicated part.

And yeah, there's a lot more to it when one considers fuel sources and talent, but the above is a good outline which explains the findings of the many studies of power vs. cadence.
Old 02-13-19, 09:51 PM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
People make the theory complicated. The following applies to all cyclists no matter their experience:

Rule 1: HR (cardiovascular effort) increases with cadence if power/speed is held steady
Rule 2: Muscular effort declines with cadence, if power/speed is held steady.

Corollary to Rule 1: Cardiovascular effort = oxygen cost. Oxygen is an unlimited consumable.
Corollary to Rule 2: Muscular effort = nutrient cost, of which fat supply is unlimited for our purposes, carb supply being limited by glycogen and food sources.

That's really all one needs to know. Cadence vs. pedal force is always a balance, given unlimited gearing.

Hence most long distance cyclists pedal fast at a relatively low pedal force, thus reducing consumption of an irreplaceable consumable - glycogen.
And thus riders with higher VO2max pedal faster for the same power than those with lower VO2max - because they can, and thus also reduce glycogen consumption..
And thus people on bicycles with poor aerobic conditioning pedal slowly. For them, glycogen consumption is not an issue because they can't produce the pedal force to get power up to the levels where they'd consume it.

And thus everyone needs to arrive at their own best cadence for various gradients and conditions. There's not one number that works for everyone, especially climbing, where I pedal 78 and a Cat 1 pedals 95. My self-selected cadence varies between 78 while climbing and 100 when bridging up to a group. Doped Lance TTed at 115. One arrives at their best cadence for various gradients and conditions through training while paying attention and consciously adapting to one's best combination of cadence and pedal effort, considering the length of ride being attempted. The practice is the complicated part.

And yeah, there's a lot more to it when one considers fuel sources and talent, but the above is a good outline which explains the findings of the many studies of power vs. cadence.
Very well said.
Old 02-13-19, 10:04 PM
Occam's Rotor

A minor quibble---the study might be totally valid. The media interpretation, and the media-consumable article and headline written specifically to garner attention, might be an invalid or less than accurate interpretation of the actual data collected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.