Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does This Qualify As ‘Dumbass’ ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does This Qualify As ‘Dumbass’ ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-22, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I coined a phrase that might be relevant; paying the stupid tax. I have paid that tax quite a few times. Welcome to the club.
I had a nickel for every time I was a dumbass and threw away money because of it, I'd be riding one of those fancy schmancy bikes that are too fancy according to the youngsters on cheaper bikes that pass me and make fun of online.....
Old 05-01-22, 11:46 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I had a nickel for every time I was a dumbass and threw away money because of it, I'd be riding one of those fancy schmancy bikes that are too fancy according to the youngsters on cheaper bikes that pass me and make fun of online.....
I would be happy to make fun of you because I am old, if that will make you feel any better

Old 05-02-22, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I would be happy to make fun of you because I am old, if that will make you feel any better
I don't know which happens more often to me, getting passed by youngsters it oldsters. And they have to be pretty old to be older than me!
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-02-22, 07:22 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Miradaman
Maybe not a "right", but if he spent real money on a bike that the seller grossly misrepresented for the purpose of swindling the buyer, he sure as heck should call the guy out on his BS. I know I would.
And waste more time writing a sternly-worded email that will never get read, or leaving a voicemail that will never get listened to?

Private sales are caveat emptor, OP didn't properly check it out before shelling out the money.

My impression is he really didn't pay much for this, so all he may be out is for his too good to be true expectations.
Old 05-09-22, 07:43 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
new bike day, awesome! got pics? fix it up & ride it like you stole it!
Old 05-09-22, 08:06 AM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
That's happened to me as well, and I beat myself up over it too. Ninety nine percent of sellers I deal with are honest about what they are selling, and maybe you get lulled into trusting everyone. But there are sellers out there who purposely mislead you.
Old 05-09-22, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Falling for the BS happens to all of us sooner or later and buyers remorse just makes it seem worse than it really is.. A great way to overcome the remorse is to fix it and ride it, at least the ride will make you smile..,
Old 05-09-22, 08:58 AM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by jwr0201
Appreciate all the good replies! I will keep the bike and do a refurb as much as I am able. Alas, a cheap lesson learned and likely a project that will keep me busy. Might just learn something about shade tree bike mechanics. I'll fix, ride and enjoy the bike and sell it when ready to move up to a more aggressive model.
When I sell, I will surely be honest about the age and history. At least I'll be able to sleep nights!
RR
You should not go into politics.