Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-09, 01:06 AM

Bikes: 2009 Kona Jake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here it is: pretty much stock aside from removing the spoke reflectors and the flying saucer from the back behind the cassette. Oh ya, also had the shop swap the knobbies for 25mm gator skins.

I think the next thing I buy will be shoes and clipless pedals and also need a bad or messenger bag to commute with. Also bought a Giro Xen, pump, and patch kit. So broke now.

Old 01-18-09, 12:04 PM
beatz down lo|seatz up hi

Bikes: A 2007 Trek 4300. 22.5", 1981 Trek 610 24" (61cm)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Argon
Here it is: pretty much stock aside from removing the spoke reflectors and the flying saucer from the back behind the cassette. Oh ya, also had the shop swap the knobbies for 25mm gator skins.

I think the next thing I buy will be shoes and clipless pedals and also need a bad or messenger bag to commute with. Also bought a Giro Xen, pump, and patch kit. So broke now.

Looking really good! I'd like one of those someday!
Old 01-19-09, 09:12 AM
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commuting bikes below in order of commuting preference. My commute is about 30 miles RT but I often either go mountain biking before work or during lunch so I need bikes that are fast on the road and off-road-capable.

Kona Major Jake (my do-anything favorite bike)...fenders are zip tied on. It came with Dura Ace all over it but I put Tiagra shifters on it because it just makes more sense. I swapped out the Race Lites for tougher Mavic Open Pro/ultegra wheels with a 11-32 cassette; this bike is capable of hanging pretty well on serious off road climbs. It is usually the bike of choice no matter the task. It is also a pretty darn capable cyclocross racer if its engine could keep up. Hangs just fine on the road as well; it has been over 52 mph on some descents with no complaints.
Kona Major Jake.jpg

1982-ish Peugeot Rescued from Thrift Store for $40 (best $40 I have spent on a bike). This one is also a do anything favorite of mine. It is currently running as a 1X9 but has also been a fixed gear and single speed. Reached for when I need a "fast beater" bike. Pretty much only the frame, post, bottom bracket, headset and brakes are original...(and the brakes will go soon) . I keep wanting to replace this with a cross check but I already have a "nice" cyclocross bike so I can't see much point in that. This thing is HEAVY. Nonetheless, it was the ride on which I did my fastest century (5:20 including breaks..FIXED!). Even though it is made of gas pipe (carbolite 103), I love the lines of the frame. Sometimes I catch the bike out of the corner of my eye and imagine that it is a Richard Sachs!!!
1982 Peugeot.jpg

1994-ish rigid Jamis MTB...this bikes fits me too well to retire it...I often reach for it over my NRS1 even when we are doing "real" mountain biking...it never fails to deliver on the climbs. $45 on ebay when I realized my "real" mtb would never survive the Arizona State University campus. Lots of history on this bike and a strong emotional bond. I have given it away twice and shamefully asked for it back both times. My bikes deserve to be used and it breaks my heart to see them sitting in a garage just because I had a soft moment.
1992 Jamis Explorer.jpg

Giant TCR0...for the fast days....'nuff said. Many long fast days on this one including several double centuries.
Giant TCR0.jpg

Giant NRS1...my "real mountain bike"....fun to ride but a little too high maintenance for my tastes. It seems like it is never really running well for very long. It is also pretty slow on the commutes. It mostly sees action on non-commute days.
Giant NRS1.jpg

Last edited by Sawtooth; 01-19-09 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-19-09, 04:05 PM

Bikes: 2000 GT Outpost Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my one and only bike. I commute to work on it twice a week. I got it used and am slowly customizing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0783.jpg (63.6 KB, 220 views)
Old 01-20-09, 09:19 AM
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commuter76
Here's my one and only bike. I commute to work on it twice a week. I got it used and am slowly customizing it.
I like it...how far is your commute? I really enjoy riding mtb's for commuting but usually my distance leads me to choose something else. I am weak by nature so every little bit helps .
Old 01-20-09, 10:34 AM

Bikes: Kona Jake (2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Argon

Nice- my first “real” bike when I got back into riding as an adult was a Kona Jake (2006.) I’ve since added a nicer bike for weekends, but the Jake is my everyday commuter- over 8K miles and everything still rolling along nicely.
Old 01-20-09, 11:36 AM

Bikes: 2000 GT Outpost Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
I like it...how far is your commute? I really enjoy riding mtb's for commuting but usually my distance leads me to choose something else. I am weak by nature so every little bit helps .
My commute is a little less than 14 mi round trip. I'm fairly new to bike commuting, so I'm still building my stamina. There are times I think a lighter bike might be nice, but I enjoy the versatility of my lana'i too much to give a new bike too much consideration.
Old 01-20-09, 12:10 PM
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commuter76
My commute is a little less than 14 mi round trip. I'm fairly new to bike commuting, so I'm still building my stamina. There are times I think a lighter bike might be nice, but I enjoy the versatility of my lana'i too much to give a new bike too much consideration.
14 Miles RT is a great distance. Unless there is a lot of hills, I doubt lighter would necessarily be faster anyway.
Old 01-20-09, 12:45 PM
my nose itches

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2013 Redline Conquest Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my Valencia...finally got to start breaking her in today

Old 01-20-09, 12:53 PM
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice looking bike. It's time to rethink your taillight placement though.
Old 01-20-09, 01:00 PM
All Bikes All The Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Nice looking bike. It's time to rethink your taillight placement though.
Elloborate, please.
Old 01-20-09, 01:17 PM
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
Elloborate, please.
Was referring to Starla's Dinotte which appears to be blocked by the rack bag.
Old 01-20-09, 05:00 PM
my nose itches

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2013 Redline Conquest Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Was referring to Starla's Dinotte which appears to be blocked by the rack bag.
It is, which is why I threw the superflash on the bag. I don't know where to put the dinotte when I ride with the trunk pack.
Old 01-20-09, 05:22 PM
beatz down lo|seatz up hi

Bikes: A 2007 Trek 4300. 22.5", 1981 Trek 610 24" (61cm)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starla
It is, which is why I threw the superflash on the bag. I don't know where to put the dinotte when I ride with the trunk pack.
You should point it down and get that glow goin' on!
Old 01-21-09, 09:20 AM
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Just picked up my first dedicated commuter/grocery getter/around towner on Thursday - a Univega Activa Trail. From what I can guess, the serial number leads me to believe it's a '93, but the seat was an OE seat, manufactured in 1996, so who knows. Either way, it's got Shimano SIS brakes and shifters, Suntour derailleur, and Sakae crank and chainrings.

I added the basket and lights from another bike and bought the fenders new. Not a big fan of the plastic fenders, but they keep me dry. I'm still having trouble adjusting the front one to get it straight...
Attached Images
New Image.jpg (38.8 KB, 127 views)
New Image1.jpg (29.0 KB, 40 views)
New Image2.jpg (11.6 KB, 39 views)
New Image3.jpg (49.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 01-21-09, 02:54 PM
Right wing extremist

Bikes: 05 Breezer Freedom 3 speed. 06 Bianchi Castro Valley.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Made a few changes/additions to my 05' Breezer Freedom since my last upgrade post of Sept. 08.

Went to a straight bar and added an Arkel Tail Rider.
This bike is still a bit small for me but the straight bars allow me to stretch out a little more and give me the option of adding bar ends later. Just gotta decide on which ones.
Old 01-21-09, 06:08 PM
Strong with the Fred

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My new (old) Puch Meteor Luxe. Got her off craigslist for $90.00.
Ernest

Old 01-21-09, 06:13 PM
1 bike 2 many.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well...since recent posts on this forum have redefined what a commuter is, this my "other" commuter. I may not ride it to work or school, but I do ride it to the local pub/pool hall/deli.

Built the frame myself, and slotted the Champion Flyer Special to eliminate "taint" rub.

Old 01-21-09, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by texastwister
Intense 1 commuter, not big $$$ but very dependable,Bike Planet fenders,cateye lighting,garage sale $4 rear rack.
...and a Jandd trunk.
Old 01-21-09, 11:40 PM

Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mijome07
...and a Jandd trunk.
YES! they are AWSOME!
Old 01-21-09, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by texastwister
YES! they are AWSOME!
Yes they are. Here is one on my 1st bike. And here is other Jandd bags on my current bike. I also have their racks too.
Old 01-22-09, 08:43 AM

Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mijome07
Yes they are. Here is one on my 1st bike. And here is other Jandd bags on my current bike. I also have their racks too.
N-I-C-E set up!
Old 01-22-09, 12:52 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Charlie Quatro
Made a few changes/additions to my 05' Breezer Freedom since my last upgrade post of Sept. 08.

Went to a straight bar and added an Arkel Tail Rider.
This bike is still a bit small for me but the straight bars allow me to stretch out a little more and give me the option of adding bar ends later. Just gotta decide on which ones.
I threw a flat bar on my 'tourer' as well a while ago. I ended up taking it back off since my wrists hurted like crap.
Old 01-22-09, 02:48 PM
Right wing extremist

Bikes: 05 Breezer Freedom 3 speed. 06 Bianchi Castro Valley.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FreddyV
I threw a flat bar on my 'tourer' as well a while ago. I ended up taking it back off since my wrists hurted like crap.
I can go 8-10 miles before my hands start getting a little tingly.
However, the stock bar wasn't much better. Pic-

At least with a straight bar and bar ends I'll have a couple different hand positions.
Old 01-22-09, 04:02 PM

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This is how I work on my bike. A good workstand is a good investment. Notice how clean my Crank and Chain is. This is after all of this rotten weather we've been ridin' in. Simple Green does the trick.

Last edited by scoatw; 01-22-09 at 04:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.