Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-15, 10:19 AM

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Todays ride started out warm and dry, and as I got closer to the coast, the fog started to take over. I always refer to these types of foggy, cool damp rides as "Belgian Style" rides, and I picked the perfect bike for the event. The fog has since cleared, and my ride home should be nothing short of spectacular.

Old 03-28-15, 11:17 AM

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp Disc, Giant Yukon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bconneraz
Todays ride started out warm and dry, and as I got closer to the coast, the fog started to take over. I always refer to these types of foggy, cool damp rides as "Belgian Style" rides, and I picked the perfect bike for the event. The fog has since cleared, and my ride home should be nothing short of spectacular.
I'm curious as to why you call this kind of weather "Belgian style"?
Old 03-28-15, 01:04 PM

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bub386
I'm curious as to why you call this kind of weather "Belgian style"?
Because when the conditions are wet, or damp, or sometimes even down right ugly, I always imagine the hard men like Eddy training in bad conditions for some reason. Not exactly sure why, but that would be the reason.
Old 03-28-15, 04:26 PM

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck

I haven't done much bike riding lately, sad face. But after 64 days I've graduated to crutches.
Glad to hear that rehab is progressing. Your recovery is an inspiration to everyone on the forum.
Old 03-30-15, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Interesting.. even though it was 38 degree's out seen 2 other commuters. Sometimes I see one but never two. A bit cool but tolerable hoping to do 3 days this week. My goal is to ride everyday by May.
Old 03-30-15, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
41F / 5C Some rain came down overnight leading to a nice wet spring morning. We'll be warming up here in DC area this week.
Old 03-30-15, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
It was a nice ride to work today after not riding since Wednesday of last week. The temp was 31f degrees with cloudy skies this morning. The ride home this afternoon a threat of rain with hit and miss showers. I am hoping to miss.
Old 03-30-15, 06:01 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride itself was good this morning but I did have a nice steady headwind. I was three or four minutes slower than usual getting to work. I did beat the rain by five minutes. The guys told me as soon as I went into the locker room to shower it started pouring, that's a plus. Ten to fifteen mile per hour winds are called for all day. I'm hoping the ride home I will have a tailwind.
Old 03-30-15, 06:31 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Tough commute this morning with a stiff headwind the entire way. A cold front is moving through during the day and we are supposed to get a bunch of rain midday, but it's supposed to clear by the time of my afternoon commute. Hopefully the forecast will hold true. Our local forecasters do not have a great track record predicting the timing of rain events.
Old 03-30-15, 06:44 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I wasn't as lucky as @parkersdad and @tarwheel. It wasn't raining when I was getting ready to go before 7am. But at 7am it started to rain, though not heavy. I decided to ride anyway. The 42 degrees and constant rain turned out to be the coldest and wettest commute I've ever had. I survived, though I'm still a bit chilly. It was really just my legs and feet that got cold. I had tights and wool socks, so that helped. Everything is now hanging in the janitorial closet to hopefully drip dry during the day.

And as tarwheel said, it is supposed to clear out by the afternoon and warm up to 69F, so it should be a decent ride home.
Old 03-30-15, 07:41 AM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Today was a lesson in perspective; perspective matters.

Today was 35F and it felt wonderful warm. But that's in contrast to the sub-zero weather we had over the winter.

Today's ride felt easy and fast. But that was in contrast to yesterday's 30 miles on the Pugsley, including 15 miles riding into a 25 mph winds with gusts up to measured at nearly 40 mph.

BTW - I wish there was a picture of me getting 'aero' on the Pugsley yesterday . (thumbs hooked on the brake levers, wrists on the grips, to get shoulders down)
Old 03-30-15, 07:44 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
I wasn't as lucky as @parkersdad and @tarwheel. It wasn't raining when I was getting ready to go before 7am. But at 7am it started to rain, though not heavy. I decided to ride anyway. The 42 degrees and constant rain turned out to be the coldest and wettest commute I've ever had. I survived, though I'm still a bit chilly. It was really just my legs and feet that got cold. I had tights and wool socks, so that helped. Everything is now hanging in the janitorial closet to hopefully drip dry during the day.

And as tarwheel said, it is supposed to clear out by the afternoon and warm up to 69F, so it should be a decent ride home.
Did you have a head wind as well
Old 03-30-15, 08:11 AM

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
BTW - I wish there was a picture of me getting 'aero' on the Pugsley yesterday . (thumbs hooked on the brake levers, wrists on the grips, to get shoulders down)
That's called the commuter speed demon position! Not feeling it today - one of those days I'm glad riding is a habit because otherwise I would have bailed. 39F and humid from rain last night, overdressed. But the forecast for the week doesn't have temps below mid 30's so I'm happy
Old 03-30-15, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by parkersdad
Did you have a head wind as well
I don't remember the wind being too bad. If anything it served to dry me off a bit.

I do hope it warms up more. I saw the sun trying to come out, but it's still only 44 out right now.
Old 03-30-15, 09:08 AM

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I swear this Memphis weather is on drugs lol. Saturday we had SNOW, and then Sunday afternoon it was sunny and 70 degrees, and I was wearing shorts.

Today would have been perfect weather for riding to work, but I have a ride leaders' meeting for the Memphis Hightailers bike club this evening up in town, so I have to head up there straight from work. It's looking iffy tomorrow, forecast thunderstorms for the afternoon. I'll have to wait and see what the forecast models say on the 10 PM news tonight.
Old 03-30-15, 09:52 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride in this morning, mid 30s. High is in the 50s today, so it should be nice except for the forecast 20mph headwind.
Old 03-30-15, 11:50 AM
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
across the state of NC

Originally Posted by mgw4jc
I wasn't as lucky as @parkersdad and @tarwheel. It wasn't raining when I was getting ready to go before 7am. But at 7am it started to rain, though not heavy. I decided to ride anyway. The 42 degrees and constant rain turned out to be the coldest and wettest commute I've ever had. I survived, though I'm still a bit chilly. It was really just my legs and feet that got cold. I had tights and wool socks, so that helped. Everything is now hanging in the janitorial closet to hopefully drip dry during the day. And as tarwheel said, it is supposed to clear out by the afternoon and warm up to 69F, so it should be a decent ride home.
@mgw4jc i rode this morning 40 degrees and constant sprinkle the entire ride. only 2 different times did it rain enough that covered my glasses. I finally wore my rain jacket in the rain. I stayed comfortable and dry. Even my socks were dry when I arrived at work. <3 my fenders and jacket. This might open up the possiblity of riding in so much different weather. I will be happy if it is 63 and sunny to ride home though!

@parkersdad and @tarwheel between the 3 of us riding we can pretty much tell each other about the weather across the state.
Old 03-30-15, 03:53 PM

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
doc says stay off the bike for 10 days (knee). In general: stretch more and use a foam roller.
Old 03-30-15, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Ride home was nice and warm a bit windy and quite a struggle though. Well remember tonight that I hadn't checked the air pressure since I got the bike. Both were down to mid-40's..oops!
Old 03-30-15, 05:20 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Today's commute supplanted by home improvement project in the yard this evening. It's nice outside, I'm not complaining.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-30-15, 06:03 PM

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timvan_78
doc says stay off the bike for 10 days (knee). In general: stretch more and use a foam roller.
Boo! That blows. This is such a nice time of the year to ride and the weather is perfect out today. Especially with all the blossoms out. I'd love to get out for a ride.

But it seems they may want me to transfer to the other more intensive rehab facility! I've made amazing gains in the three weeks I've been here, from not being able to get myself out of bed to I can now crutch around as I wish. But with it comes exhaustion, more aches, pains, and soreness. But alas it's progress and I feel well enough to think about a new bike.
Old 03-31-15, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
The ride in this am was almost an a replica of yesterdays ride in except today I wore warmer gloves, so no cold hands. That made for a very nice ride in this am.

My daughter is going to commute for her first time to work today. Her commute is five miles I hope she loves it as much as I do!

Joeyduck, I am glad to hear your recovery is coming along. And thinking about a new bike is great to hear!
Old 03-31-15, 06:13 AM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10 5 105, Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A little brisk this morning (at least for me, being a Southerner) at a few degrees above freezing, but otherwise, lovely.

The first five miles of my commute I was passed only twice. Second five miles... a good bit more.

Built up some winter fat not commuting and watching basketball (go Duke!), so I'm hoping to put in about 80 miles a week to trim back down and feel fit.
Old 03-31-15, 06:17 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'll top 500 miles commuting for March today, which might be my highest monthly commuting total ever. I've earned every mile of it because it has been very windy, which shouldn't surprise me because that's what March is all about. My average speed yesterday was about the lowest it ever gets. I got the double whammy -- stiff headwind in the morning, followed by a cold front that changed the wind direction, so I was fighting it both ways. Other than that, the weather was very nice yesterday and the same today. Chilly in the morning, but lots of sunshine so it warms up nicely in the afternoon.
Old 03-31-15, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by joeyduck
But it seems they may want me to transfer to the other more intensive rehab facility! I've made amazing gains in the three weeks I've been here, from not being able to get myself out of bed to I can now crutch around as I wish. But with it comes exhaustion, more aches, pains, and soreness. But alas it's progress and I feel well enough to think about a new bike.
Great news. And do continue posting about your commute from your room to the rehab area. Commutes on crutches are interesting too!

Although today's temp was about 5 degrees colder than yesterday and I wore the same clothing, I was much warmer. Unlike yesterday, today has no rain! A bit of sunshine even. And we are going to get to 70+ degrees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.