Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Twenty buildup complete

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Raleigh Twenty buildup complete

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 04:25 PM

Bikes: Torelli Titanio; Serotta Atlanta Concept; Specialized Rockhopper, Raleigh Twenty, Velo Orange Polyvalent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
I do wish I knew you wanted to add a double pronged or legged kickstand to your own Raleigh Twenty. On my own Twenty, I decided I wanted a double prong legged kickstand. So....I headed off to one of my favorite LBS. And their solution, a kickstand that does not have to be cut down to fit the smaller wheels. Here is the Webpage with all the details on this particular kickstand (except that the price is wrong, it is more like 25 dollars).

https://pasadenacyclery.com/product/giant-mode-kickstand-10070.htm

While it is a perfect fit as far as fitting on the bike, you do have to remember not to bump it against a curb a stair step, or the like as it hangs a bit low under the frame, then it either interferes with the cranks turning or becomes loose-or both as you can see from my photo below before readjusting it (just 1 time, now I know about lower hang). I have been using it for 6 months. I rather liked it.
Just got back from my local purveyors and decided that a single-leg kickstand is not the right kind for the intended use of this bike. Still like your Giant kickstand?
Old 02-13-11, 04:42 PM

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
Another beautiful R20 now being enjoyed and appreciated by someone who cared enough to resurrect it!

I do wish I knew you wanted to add a double pronged or legged kickstand to your own Raleigh Twenty. On my own Twenty, I decided I wanted a double prong legged kickstand. So....I headed off to one of my favorite LBS. And their solution, a kickstand that does not have to be cut down to fit the smaller wheels. Here is the Webpage with all the details on this particular kickstand (except that the price is wrong, it is more like 25 dollars).

https://pasadenacyclery.com/product/giant-mode-kickstand-10070.htm

While it is a perfect fit as far as fitting on the bike, you do have to remember not to bump it against a curb a stair step, or the like as it hangs a bit low under the frame, then it either interferes with the cranks turning or becomes loose-or both as you can see from my photo below before readjusting it (just 1 time, now I know about lower hang). I have been using it for 6 months. I rather liked it.

It seems to be on the Dahon Curve too as this video from NYCEWheels shows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-REiNFRS7Hw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
How and where was it attached?
Old 02-14-11, 11:49 AM
Hauja

Bikes: not as many but still too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OH MY DOG! That is pretty.Fenders might be a good idea if you can fit them but it looks nice the way it is.
Old 08-30-20, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Super nice project there. I also have an R20 in the making (if I'd have known some parts are non-standard, I probably wouldnt have bothered. But I love the frame). Quick question on the offchance that you read this harlond: What spindle length did you choose from Phil Wood? I'm not quite sure how to measure it, especially because I don't have a crankset yet.
Old 10-17-22, 02:40 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am the successor to harlond. I used a Shimano UN-72 with a 116mm spindle length. Worked well for me. You can still find them on eBay.
Old 10-19-22, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by harlond
At long last, I have finished building up my Raleigh Twenty. It took a lot longer than I expected for various reasons, choosing a part that didn't work, missing some small part here and there, and when you get down to it, I'm not much of a mechanic. But it's done, so here are some pics.

The build is:
Frame & fork-1973 Raleigh Twenty;
Headset-Tange G32STR Aheadset, used with 26tpi nuts from original headset and Sinz seatpost clamp;
Stem-Nitto Periscopa (Technomics not quite tall enough, don't ask me how I know that);
Handlebar-Soma Sparrow (installed upside down to get the grips higher);
Grips-Rivendell Portuguese cork, with three coats of Zinser Bullseye Amber (when you glue them to the handlebars, the glue may set better and faster if you shellack them AFTER you glue them, don't ask me how I know that);
Brake Levers-Tektro BMX levers;
Shifter-SA SLS 3C (grip shift won't work on Sparrows, don't ask me how I know that);
Bell-Crane Copper Suzu;
Front hub-SA HBT, 36x451;
Rear hub-SA SRF3, 36x451;
Rims-Velocity Synergy;
Tires-Primo Comet 37x451;
Brakes, Tektro R-365 (had to make a drop plate to use these with the Pletscher rack);
Pedals, KKT Top Run;
Crankset-Sugino RD2, 165mm;
Chainring-Sugino 46 tooth;
Chain-SRAM PC-7X 1/8 inch;
Cog-SA, 18 tooth;
BB-Shimano UN72, 116mm, with Phil Wood cups;
Saddle, Brooks B17;
Seatpost-Thomson Elite, 28.6x400 (330mm Kalloy Uno not tall enough, don't ask me how I know that);
Seatpost clamp-Crow Cycles;
Rack-Pletscher C?;
Kickstand-Pletscher Esge (if I were a good mechanic, I wouldn't have had to cut it five times to get the right length--at least I didn't cut it short).

I've added a couple photos of the drop plate I made so that brakes could fit with the Pletscher rack. Nothing big, just some flat bar with a couple holes drilled in it, but it works.

Also, I should point out that the wheels were built by 3Sports, my LBS in Richmond. The paint job on the frame and the pump is by Canyon Custom Air, also in Richmond. Both did a great job and I recommend them.
the fork is unique and beautiful