Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schraeder "valve creep"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schraeder "valve creep"

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 12:12 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by MrK.
If you are northwest of Boston, where is this ride. I have a place in southern NH, this looks like my kind of ride. I usually ride the coast on 1A.
Myles Standish State Forest Carver / Plymouth

Myles Standish State Forest, Carver MA
Old 03-02-20, 01:52 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
I predict you won't have the problem. Most of the valve creep comes not from riding underinflated tires but from wheeling the bike when the tires are uninflated. You can get a ton of creep rolling it a short distance. Try not to think about the problem.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-02-20, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Just epoxy the tire to the rim. Never have to worry about it again.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-02-20, 02:10 PM
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Its funny how we all get restless this time of year. Its funny how we'll discuss anything, and even the most rudimentary topics become a hotbed of discussion. At least we're all amicable!

For what its worth, I won't even add air to a customer's schrader-tubed tires if its gotten crooked. I'll always deflate all the way, break the bead, and rotate the valve into the correct position. I'm pretty OCD about that sort of thing. Hey, I would notice it if an LBS mechanic did that to my bike, so why would I taint my reputation. If its not right, it doesn't leave the shop (customer idiosyncrasy's notwithstanding)!
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 03-02-20, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Totally forgot that in the early 70's at least there were Rim Locks for motorcycle tires- a hard rubber oval piece that caught the beads on both sides, held in position with a bolt through a hole that looked a bit like a schrader valve.
Not sure how the mass was accounted for, maybe near opposite the valve? Balanced later? If at all, these were for off road bikes, where low inflation could help, like sand dunes.
Old 03-02-20, 04:38 PM

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Myles Standish State Forest Carver / Plymouth

Myles Standish State Forest, Carver MA
As a native of the Bay State, the thing I like most about the town of Carver is that the correct local pronunciation rhymes it with "Java."

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 03-03-20, 07:18 AM
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
As a native of the Bay State, the thing I like most about the town of Carver is that the correct local pronunciation rhymes it with "Java."
Do you know why the state of Massachusetts has very few crows found as roadkill?

...Because they always have a buddy sitting in a tree going, "CAH CAH CAH!"

Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 03-03-20, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Its funny how we all get restless this time of year. Its funny how we'll discuss anything, and even the most rudimentary topics become a hotbed of discussion. At least we're all amicable!

For what its worth, I won't even add air to a customer's schrader-tubed tires if its gotten crooked. I'll always deflate all the way, break the bead, and rotate the valve into the correct position. I'm pretty OCD about that sort of thing. Hey, I would notice it if an LBS mechanic did that to my bike, so why would I taint my reputation. If its not right, it doesn't leave the shop (customer idiosyncrasy's notwithstanding)!
I typically pinch the deflated tire sidewalls, and with a gentle squeeze, rotate the tire in my hand until the valve is straight. It works with any black sidewall tires, but DON'T DO IT ON CONTINENTAL TAN SIDEWALL TIRES.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-03-20, 08:24 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by jonwvara
lol, I was not aware, but makes sense. I'm originally from NY so I've got the hard "R"s
Old 03-03-20, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK
rotate the tire in my hand until the valve is straight. It works with any black sidewall tires, but DON'T DO IT ON CONTINENTAL TAN SIDEWALL TIRES.
how come? they don't slide so well?
Old 03-03-20, 08:46 AM
"SURE!"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
Schwalbe sells fully threaded Schraeder tubes w/a retaining ring like on Presta tubes: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/tubes/finder. Those hold pretty well.
Old 03-03-20, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
how come? they don't slide so well?
The Conti tan sidewalls seem somewhat fragile. The squeeze and drag will fuzz them up.

I can't tell for sure if it structurally damages the tires, but it sure looks ugly.

Oh, plus a tight fitting tire may take more work than other brands to force them to slip.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-03-20, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Oh, plus a tight fitting tire may take more work than other brands to force them to slip.
yeah I have some tires that don't rotate on the rims, after both beads are on. so I'm sure to get everything lined up nice before getting the 2nd bead on. guess that's a good thing tho

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-03-20 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-03-20, 10:58 AM
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Nowadays, I wont use any Schrader-valved tubes that do not have a threaded stem. Conti and Schwalbe are my go-to's. I also use metal caps, and if there is any doubt about them coming off, I coat the stem threads with beeswax.
Originally Posted by cog_nate
Schwalbe sells fully threaded Schraeder tubes w/a retaining ring like on Presta tubes: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/tubes/finder. Those hold pretty well.
This is how I keep stem creep to a minimum. Fully threaded stems, with a lock nut against the rim.
Old 03-03-20, 09:13 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
In my experience valve creep happens mostly by low pressure, but one of my friends had this problem on his front wheel and the only way to fix it was replacing the rim. It always happened after some heavy braking downhill with a loaded touring bike, not on flat ground with the same unloaded bike. We tried more pressure, changing the tire, degreasing the rim, etc., but the valve kept creeping to a 45º angle.