Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old School Seat Post...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old School Seat Post...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-21, 09:50 PM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
I don't even bother with those old-school steel type seatposts that attach to the saddle, and then the post. They're usually the first thing to go into the donation box, along with kickstands, if any. Hate 'em both like the plague.

Having said that, I recently purchased what must be (to me anyway) the most ridiculous and frustrating seatpost ever, one of the few in 26.4mm I could find that didn't cost a fortune: the Avocet spring-loaded seatpost. Actually, beyond just being ridiculous and frustrating, I think this thing has issues: stripped threading on one of the bolts, and one bolt is too short. From others I have seen online, both bolts should be the same length.

....I have several of those, because they happened to be the only ones I could find in an odd diameter. Apparently they made them in just about every diameter there was at the time. But they are famous for being problematic. Mostly, I have always thought highly of Avocet products, but these were an exception. The saddles were much better than the posts.
Old 06-19-21, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
My first road bike had the Ideale post clamp.
I could use another now...
till I find one I will use a Campagnolo.
Old 06-20-21, 06:01 AM
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....I have several of those, because they happened to be the only ones I could find in an odd diameter. Apparently they made them in just about every diameter there was at the time. But they are famous for being problematic. Mostly, I have always thought highly of Avocet products, but these were an exception. The saddles were much better than the posts.
It certainly was problematic for me. Agreed about the saddles, though, I have had several great Avocet saddles.

As I'm not concerned about originality or period correctness on the PX10 for which I bought it, I'm replacing the Avocet (which was to replace the original Simplex steel post), I'm going with the Dajia Cycleworks 1b Seatpost available at Velo Orange, in 26.4mm.
Old 06-20-21, 09:59 AM
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I can't understand why people get their knickers in a twist about adjusting a Campagnolo 2-bolt post (Record 1044). All it takes is a long 10 mm wrench with a 12-point offset box end <snip>.
Agree with everything Charles Wahl said with one amendment. If the box end of the pictured wrench is ratcheted (available at any decent hardware store or on line), the job is pretty darn easy. The little bit of offset helps a bunch. As Charles said, go in from the back of the saddle. This has worked like a charm with my Rolls saddles. It should work even easier on a Brooks, as they have a bunch more clearance between the rails and the saddle surface.

BTW, the Nitto S83 is just as secure and infinitely adjustable, but really easy to set up because the bolts are allen bolts accessed from the bottom of the post - no clearance issues at all. Unfortunately, I have never seen them available in anything other than 27.2 or 26.8. Rivendell sells them here. Others do, too..

10 mm wrench about 6-1/4" or 160 mm long

.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by bikingshearer; 06-21-21 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-20-21, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Campy two-bolt seatposts can be easy to work with:

Begin by standing the bike on the floor with inflated tires (saves saddle angle guesswork compared to adjusting the saddle angle with the bike elevated off the floor).

Clean and grease both bolts as well as the cylindrical captive nuts and install them in the seatpost, leaving the bolts very loose.

Install the saddle, slide it fully forward, and use a wrench or your fingers to tighten the front bolt until pressing the top of the back of the saddle with the heel of your hand brings the saddle to within a degree or two of being level.

Center the saddle on the seatpost.

Tighten the rear bolt (with a wrench).

If the angle of the saddle is not satisfactory, loosen the rear bolt, slide the saddle forward, turn the front bolt (with wrench or fingers) a half-turn or so, reposition the saddle, and tighten the rear bolt.

[Edit] You may have to repeat the last step once or twice, but the whole process takes less time than typing this out did.

Last edited by Trakhak; 06-20-21 at 10:47 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-20-21, 12:12 PM

Bikes: Jack Taylor Tandem, Oscar Egg Routier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Cheap, rusty, abused and overtightened "old school" seat clamps are a problem.

NOS Ideale or new Brooks seat clamps work fine. Even old used Brooks and Ideale seat clamps are usually salvageable if you degrease them then de-rust in vinegar.

Otherwise the 2 bolt Campy seat post.

Reid
Old 06-20-21, 06:00 PM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Two bolt Campy SP

https://www.amazon.com/GEARWRENCH-91...33681226&psc=1

This is the tool you seek, grasshopper.
Old 06-21-21, 12:32 AM
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Two bolt Campy SP

https://www.amazon.com/GEARWRENCH-91...33681226&psc=1

This is the tool you seek, grasshopper.
Right kind of wrench, wrong size. Campy 2-bolts need a 10mm wrench. But that is exactly the kind of ratchet end you want.
Old 06-21-21, 01:24 AM

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Right kind of wrench, wrong size. Campy 2-bolts need a 10mm wrench. But that is exactly the kind of ratchet end you want.
Yep, only illustrating the style, you gotta make sure you get the right size.