Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sport tourers with cantilever brakes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sport tourers with cantilever brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-22, 02:37 PM

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Additionally, you weren’t limited to 27” wheels with cantilevers. Most cantilevers of that era (and even later) were slotted so that they could be converted to 700C. The brake pads only need to be moved 2mm (thickness of a nickel) to go from 630mm diameter of the 27” to the 622mm diameter of a 700C.
My understanding is that the difference radius is 4mm.
Likes For Paul Waque:
Old 11-15-22, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
A very beat up Miyata 610.

Old 11-15-22, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I’d never consider a bike with cantilevers a “sport tourer.”
I am genuinely curious about this. Does the presence of cantilevers automatically disqualify a bike no matter the geometry? Or, is it that no one made a bike with cantilevers and qualifying geometry?
Old 11-15-22, 02:50 PM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Waque
Exactly, 622 to 630- and not a whole lot of brakes have that kind of adjustability.

FWIW- I had beginner's luck with Suntour XC Pro brakes and totally expected M900 XTR brakes to work... no go.

The kings of 27 to 700C conversions are the M732 XT brakes. I would assume the MT-62 would be the same- but you never really know.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-15-22, 03:07 PM

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by grant40
A very beat up Miyata 610.
The 610 started off as a caliper/centerpull brake touring bike. I'll have to check the catalogs to see if the tubes and geometry changed much when it got cantilevers.

PS. Miyata was billing the 610 as a Touring AND Sport bike, whether with or without cantilivers.

Last edited by bark_eater; 11-15-22 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-15-22, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Re. 27" to 700c wheel conversions

A side effect of switching wheel sizes on rim brake bikes is that the change in distance from the brake pivot to the pad/rim causes a change in leverage and therefore brake function. On caliper brakes (where pivot is between the rim and cable anchor), changing to smaller rims causes a decrease in braking force for a given force at the lever, while with cantilever brakes (any brakes where rim/pad are between the cable anchor and the pivot), changing to smaller rims causes an increase in brake force for a given lever force.
Old 11-15-22, 03:32 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Waque
You are right. I split the value in 2 and the split it again. That said, 4mm is a bit over 1/8” which isn’t much.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-15-22, 03:42 PM

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Pompiere
Unfortunately, the brake pads on my bike are already at the bottom of the slots. Maybe a different brake would have more adjustment. When I bought the bike, it looked like it had led a rough life as a commuter and they used whatever parts they could find to keep it on the road. It had a 700c rear wheel and the cantilever brake had been swapped out for a Dia Compe centerpull. The front still had the original cantilever and a 27 inch wheel with a Campagnolo hub.
I’ve never had a problem when I’ve upgraded brakes many times on a 1983 Miyata that began as a 27” and I converted to a 700C. Like 5 or 6 different brakes. Never had a problem being able to adjust the brakes to the right height. Even more modern cantilever brakes have a fair amount of adjustment.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-15-22, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by beicster
I am genuinely curious about this. Does the presence of cantilevers automatically disqualify a bike no matter the geometry? Or, is it that no one made a bike with cantilevers and qualifying geometry?
I wouldn’t say that’s necessarily true but sport tourers with cantis are rare. Cyclocross bikes, on the other hand, have similar geometries to sport tourers with cantilevers. The bottom bracket is a bit taller but the rest of the bike is more similar to a sport tour than a touring bike.

That said, touring bikes were the first cyclocross bikes because the increased clearance with the cantis worked better in the mud.

Old 11-15-22, 04:22 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I've always seen cantis as a plus and can't understand people putting on caliper brakes with canti posts, or sawing off canti posts. Drew is a drew.

I've developed the thought that a sport tourer with light tubing, 43-ish chainstays, tire clearance for 38+ and cantis would be a dominant bike.
*by "light tubing" I mean 531/Ishiwata022/Columbus SP/Champion #3 neighborhood*

Sport tourers were "also ran" bikes, the "jack of all trades, master of none" and just "bikes." Because an "enthusiast" is going to want performance at some end of their investment- a racer is going to want a bike that has inherent traits of a racing bike- lightweight, nimble... while a tourer isn't so concerned about weight (to an extent) and prize stability over twitchy. An in-between bike is just "a bike" for a person who wants "a bike" and as such, it didn't get the nice tubing, it didn't get the fancy components... it just got **** done.

Old bikes are going to have that "product of their time" thing going on- tires were meant to be 28s but could take a 32- the 650B conversions are happy accidents, bikes that had a broad platform of usability either weighed more because they were meant to carry more, or they were more lower/mid level bikes, and cantis didn't go on regular road bikes. A couple of years ago I tried to get a Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen built for me with the old geometry and canti posts. That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, but something you won't see on much of any vintage bikes.
My Peter Mooney. It was built to be rideable in the lower 48 states 12 months of the year; in whatever format was appropriate for that location. (Ordered a year after my head injury. I'd raced my final season and would now be seeking work, probably on either coast, I knew the next years were going to be very hard and a test of my sanity. This bike had to be a reliable tool to keep it.

So: canti brakes, Mafacs, because they work, require little fussing and there are nowhere they are poor or dangerous. (And cheap.) 15 years later I upgraded to Shimano canit that came off a Miyata 610. Still there.

Brake posts are set to halfway between 27" and 700c because in 1978 who knew what the wheel standard was going to be or what I could get in, say, backwater Maine.

The frame? 531 (probably - Peter in those days charged extra for the sticker because he preferred the freedom to select the best tubing for that rider and application). Chainstays long enough for panniers. Horizontal dropouts so I could run fixed if I wanted. Front end modeled (but not exactly) off my Fuji Pro, a ride that fit like a dream and I loved. BB high enough to pedal a lot of corners (I was fresh off racing a very high BB crit bike.) Result? It's toured, climbed a lot of hills, a few 160 mile days, rain, very, very hard rain several times, seen snow and now has found its true place as an elegant fix gear. The long chainstays and highish BB - perfect! It does still sport LowRider mounts, derailleur hanger and BB cable guides so I get to change my mind. It does quite passably as a gravel bike with up to 38c tires.

And yes, the bike is a do-everything bike. I've since been buying and setting up bikes to do one thing well and the Mooney took a backseat for years. Then Cycle Oregon advertised their week ride to Crater Lake with gravel. Lots. And 1000' up and downs on that gravel. A great fix gear route but I gotta have big tires! Not happening on my avatar photo fix gear. But the Mooney can! Did it. And promptly fell in love with this classic English fix gear roadster of 1930s, 40s and 50s heritage. Still in love 5 years later; now back on sewups.

And the cantis? Well, on a fix gear I want slightly more gentle braking power because everything gets exciting at the absurd RPMs of very fast descents. I discovered 10 years ago that dual pivots de-powered with V-brake levers work really well. 5 years ago that they work just as well with those cantis. (Yes, on very long descents, my hands tire if I have to brake continuously. And my legs have been known to tire getting to the starting point of those descents! C'est la vie.) Those V-brake levers also come with huge, glorious hand holds! Perfect for uphill on those fix gears!

If I knew I could get a hold of the horizontally "winged" cantis like the old Mafacs or the early Shimano geometry copies, I'd spec my next bike with them in a flash. (I think Paul makes them too. If so, that's how I'd go now.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-15-22, 04:25 PM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by beicster
Sport tourers shared more DNA with racing bikes than touring bikes. To my mind, the only drop bar bikes with triples and cantilevers were touring bikes.
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-15-22, 04:31 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’ve never had a problem when I’ve upgraded brakes many times on a 1983 Miyata that began as a 27” and I converted to a 700C. Like 5 or 6 different brakes. Never had a problem being able to adjust the brakes to the right height. Even more modern cantilever brakes have a fair amount of adjustment.
I think my Miyata 610 was a 27" bike. I ran 700c from day one on it and both the stock Shimano canti and the older Mafacs off my Mooney. Never crossed my mind. I've also used stock replacement forks and never asked if 27" or 700c. (I doubt the salesperson would have known.) Pad height has to be dialed in anyway so really, who cares? (Plus, since this is a hub to rim measurement, not a crown to rim measurement, the error can only be, what? 4mm, not well over an inch between a racing bike and a fendered commuter.)
Old 11-15-22, 05:04 PM
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 131 Posts
The geometry on the Miyata 6xx series changed over time, earlier year it was distinct from the 1000 but towards the late 80s/early 90's the geometry was the same with different tubing (maybe?) and different components (definitely)

I rode a 82 1000 for a few years and it handled great unloaded/light load and pretty good fully loaded, albeit somewhat noodle-y. Twas a great bike.

The later trek 520 and maybe 620 might also be worth a look. Their chain stays were usually shorter than the 720.

Like the poster before me, I highly highly recommend the early Centurion Pro Tours with the bolt on centerpull brakes, feels fast yet smooth
Old 11-15-22, 05:28 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
This may have been discussed but would Randonneurers fit the Sport Tour criteria listed above?

We in the states do not have Randonneur or Brevet events, at least we don’t actually call them that we call the bikeathons or charity rides or Erotic events.

The ‘84 Randonneurer with a Mangalloy frame tips the scale around 25.5lbs

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-15-22, 05:30 PM

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 141 Posts
Sport Touring bikes to my mind are light tourers, analogous to a Randonneur bike, which were intended to be light, room for bigger tires, fenders and carry a light load. EBISU, per Hiroshi was to be a light, not a full loaded tourer. Mine pictured below from the first batch in 2000, in an earlier C&V build with Suntour/Sugino/Mafac/Nitto weighed under 23 pounds with fenders and a front rack.

Oh and would all the Rivendell variants, hunka sam ram frames be Sport Touring? Maybe not, they're heavy

Likes For VRJAKE:
Old 11-15-22, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
This may have been discussed but would Randonneurers fit the Sport Tour criteria listed above?

We in the states do not have Randonneur or Brevet events, at least we don’t actually call them that we call the bikeathons or charity rides or Erotic events.
I don’t think https://rusa.org would agree.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-15-22, 05:44 PM
*____*

Bikes: 1984 Gitane Grantour, 197X Serotta Club Special, 1983 Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 31 Posts
I can't say I have enough experience with the style to contribute much, but my '84 Gitane Grantour seems to sit kind of right in the middle of a lot of this. Made from Vitus 181 - which based on my research is in the 531 neighborhood, maybe a couple grams more? Originally shipped with Cantis set for 27"s and a Stronglight triple, the chainstays are coming in at 44. I've been commuting on it and it rides just beautifully unloaded. Haven't had a chance to weigh it in it's current form though.
Old 11-15-22, 06:27 PM

The triple and cantilevers precludes if for me.
Old 11-15-22, 06:59 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I don’t think https://rusa.org would agree.
well it’s not like their brochures are filling up my mailbox.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-15-22, 07:17 PM

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
I have two Cannondale ST1000s, an 88 and a 90. Both came with Dia Compe NGC982 cantis, both easily converted from 27” to 700c. The spacing on the 90 is inline with modern canti spacing. I don’t remember measuring the spacing on the 88, but noticed there’s only one spring hole per post mount vs the 90’s three holes.
Old 11-15-22, 07:19 PM

well it’s not like their brochures are filling up my mailbox.
It isn’t the LL Bean catalog; you need to join the organization to get the goods.
Old 11-15-22, 07:20 PM

The triple and cantilevers precludes if for me.
Clearly you’ve never ridden in an organized rando event. Sure, some might be on bikes with canti brakes and triple cranksets, but just as many if not more will be on the skinny tire race bikes you seem to like.
Old 11-15-22, 07:29 PM

Clearly you’ve never ridden in an organized rando event. Sure, some might be on bikes with canti brakes and triple cranksets, but just as many if not more will be on the skinny tire race bikes you seem to like.
So? I couldn’t give two craps what anybody rides. I don’t think of bikes with cantilevers and triples as “‘sport tourers,” at least under the classic, original definition.
Old 11-15-22, 07:32 PM

So? I couldn’t give two craps what anybody rides. I don’t think of bikes with cantilevers and triples as “‘sport tourers,” at least under the classic, original definition.
So what is the “classic, original definition” of sport tourer, and where does it come from?
Old 11-15-22, 07:59 PM

So what is the “classic, original definition” of sport tourer, and where does it come from?
I personally refer to the Bicycling magazine description from a 1985 book called “Bicycle Touring.” See what I wrote above re the Centurion Lemans. Two chainrings, aluminum wheels, what “could easily qualify as an entry-level road racing bike…This is a good example of the versatility of good sport touring bicycles.” I’m not going to type out the entire section.

Another good resource is the 1988 Bicycling Buyer’s Guide. Not one of the 10 featured bikes defined as “Sport/Touring” bikes have cantilevers or triples.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.