Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What is "Freddy" with regards to Bikes?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What is "Freddy" with regards to Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 05:54 PM
TortoiseNotHare

Bikes: Giant Escape 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
....ok then, going by these descriptions....

i would say that maybe my MKS Lambda platform pedals, and BikeGlow are likely Fred by some standards.

Old 10-10-11, 08:24 PM
Anachronist.

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn Le Tour, 2010 Motobecane Sprint

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not offended by being called a Fred, but my commuter has about 3/4" of drop from the seat to the flats, and my road bike has like 3.5" of drop to the flats... I generally wear cycling specific gear when commuting, but no lycra, and I refuse to wheelsuck when I commute. I'll either stay happily well behind or pass. If someone wheelsucks on me, I feel obligated to drop them.

My commuter also has some nice lights, fenders, and a sexy rack. I'm not sure how Fredly I am, but I enjoy myself and I wear the dead bugs that stick to my jersey, helmet and headtube with pride!
Old 10-10-11, 08:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
The path of the righteous commuter is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish cager and the tyranny of evil roadies. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the newbie commuter cyclist through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the builder of ridiculously bright DIY bicycle lights. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brother commuter. And you will know I am a Fred when I lay my vengeance upon thee...

lmao
how long did that take you?
Old 10-10-11, 08:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BridgeNotTunnel

i would say that maybe my MKS Lambda platform pedals, and BikeGlow are likely Fred by some standards.

I like these pedals. Actually I've loved them for about a year but the more shoes I try wearing on these pedals, the more I wish I had toe straps. My Tom's shoes slip all over the place. They're pretty good with my Teva's, too and regular sneakers. I'm going to buy these to go with them. I'm curious about clipless but ehh.
Old 10-10-11, 08:50 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I like to think I take Fred to new levels, with a true dashboard and home brew high performance fairing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dashboard 002.jpg (95.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg
2011 shell 012.jpg (49.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 10-10-11, 09:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I imagine my Fred to eventually look like something that came off the set of Road Warrior or Blade Runner - worn but well maintained, practical, improvised, reliable, comfortable, made to withstand the rigors of the open road or gritty urban streets. Maybe I need to zip tie a shot gun holster to my rig. : - )
Old 10-14-11, 04:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a Fred is a serious cyclist without style.
Old 10-14-11, 05:14 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by trike_guy
I think a Fred is a serious cyclist without style.
A serious cyclist with style? Ha, Ha, do tell.

Please explain, preferably with pictures, what a Serious Cyclist With Style is all about.
Old 10-16-11, 09:48 AM
TortoiseNotHare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika
I like these pedals. Actually I've loved them for about a year but the more shoes I try wearing on these pedals, the more I wish I had toe straps. My Tom's shoes slip all over the place. They're pretty good with my Teva's, too and regular sneakers. I'm going to buy these to go with them. I'm curious about clipless but ehh.
I too love these pedals. Freakin battle axes.

Ive never liked toe straps personally, but I might consider learning to use clipless if i ever decide to get a road bike.

The shoes you linked to seem to have a fairly shallow ribbed sole.

I have a pair of champion cross trainers i found at payless for 30$ that have a chunky moderately soft rubber tread on the bottom, the "cups" on these pedals bite nicely into them.
Old 10-16-11, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i really don't care what i look like. i'm happy, and i like looking over other folks' bikes to see
what is new and/or useful.

just callll meeeee ghred.
Old 10-16-11, 03:55 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BridgeNotTunnel

oh, man, this is just too cool! is the battery in the seat pack? where did you score it?
i gotta do this for christmas. had a kia sorento that i put christmas lights on. around the
side steps, around the roof rack. i used the ones that look like a clear hose w/ the lights
inside (weatherproof, and steady burn), and i put an inverter in the engine compartment.
the fans went wild!
the po-leece, yeah them, too, but in the other direction. christmas eve, western nebraska,
hauled over (and almost off) by a po-po what had NO joy in his life. said i was imitating po-
leece. wrote me up for 'colored lights' and said i had to hit the next town and take them
off. i decided i wasn't going to comply so i made a run for the border, using backroads.
haven't been back. new mexico, colorado, texas, oklahoma, wyoming, montana- no po-leece
said word one.

get back to me, would ya?

rodney80001@hotmail.com

thanks!
Old 10-16-11, 07:59 PM
TortoiseNotHare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ka0use
oh, man, this is just too cool! is the battery in the seat pack? where did you score it?
i gotta do this for christmas. had a kia sorento that i put christmas lights on. around the
side steps, around the roof rack. i used the ones that look like a clear hose w/ the lights
inside (weatherproof, and steady burn), and i put an inverter in the engine compartment.
the fans went wild!
the po-leece, yeah them, too, but in the other direction. christmas eve, western nebraska,
hauled over (and almost off) by a po-po what had NO joy in his life. said i was imitating po-
leece. wrote me up for 'colored lights' and said i had to hit the next town and take them
off. i decided i wasn't going to comply so i made a run for the border, using backroads.
haven't been back. new mexico, colorado, texas, oklahoma, wyoming, montana- no po-leece
said word one.

get back to me, would ya?

rodney80001@hotmail.com

thanks!
https://www.bikeglow.com/

the battery pack fits nicely in a saddlebag.
Old 10-16-11, 08:25 PM
That Guy

Bikes: Trek 3700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Multiple lights - check
ANSI vest - check
reflective tape - check

I'm a Fred, and as an engineer, not too surprised.
Old 10-17-11, 03:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
A serious cyclist with style? Ha, Ha, do tell.

Please explain, preferably with pictures, what a Serious Cyclist With Style is all about.
No pictures, but I'm pretty sure the lycra & roadbike set where I commute chooses equipment based mostly on what everyone else is choosing. If that isn't style, what is?
Old 10-18-11, 06:49 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
See below;
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-18-11, 09:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man, that's AWESOME!!!

Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
The path of the righteous commuter is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish cager and the tyranny of evil roadies. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the newbie commuter cyclist through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the builder of ridiculously bright DIY bicycle lights. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brother commuter. And you will know I am a Fred when I lay my vengeance upon thee...

Old 10-19-11, 07:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Freds" don't care what you ride, but like it if you do. "Freds"ride their bikes with whatever gear they deem necessary without worrying about weight, color coordination, or the latest and greatest doodad. "Freds" just ride, and can usually be identified readily by the bugs that adorn their grins as they do so.

thats me! 100%
Old 10-19-11, 09:13 AM
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bib tights with hiking boots.
Old 10-19-11, 09:27 AM
Icantre Member

Bikes: 2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a prickly Fred about a wheelsucking spandex hamster in bib tights with hiking boots on a 10k crotch rocket.
Old 10-19-11, 05:11 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
do the freeeedddiiiieeeee

(apologies to freddie and the dreamers).

many years ago i rode from frisco (colorado) to breckinridge, a distance of ~9 miles through the woods.
i had a gumby cable-tied to the top of my helmet, being a whimsical person.

a guy in full 'lancelot' uniform (lance armstrong wannabe) and bike rode up to me and screamed that i was stupid for wearing a gumby and that i made them (whoever 'they' may be) look bad. dude was foaming.

well, boo hoo. he DID look bad.

the socks are babe magnets. notice i said the SOCKS are, not me. i mix the 2 red/yellow patterns just because.