Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

TDF 2010 stage 2 - Bruxelles - Spa 201 km, Mon. Jul 5

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

TDF 2010 stage 2 - Bruxelles - Spa 201 km, Mon. Jul 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
I think FC got carried away there was no reason not to have the sprint finish today.
Based on the Horner article linked previously, I wonder how much there was a "predetermined" idea of "once this goes bad, which it will, we will show them." Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I'm not sure Fabian was the on-the-spot ringleader by choice. Seems the peleton expected the worst and might have even had a plan in place when the crap hit the fan. If it is true that many of the riders felt that particular section was dangerous then I'm wondering if there was a tacit agreement to protect all riders - GC and sprinters alike. Being that FC was in yellow and had a dog in the fight (AS), the job of organizing might have just fallen on him.

I like what Horner said. Sounds like he is saying the organizer's lost the "right" to drama at the end because they used it up on an unnecessary descent. I'm okay with that thinking. Horner's always smiling, so if he's unhappy, that says something.
Old 07-05-10, 12:56 PM
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by do-well
I just think about it as the corporatization of sport. There's a quality of product that is trying to be protected and, given the build-up to and advertising of the product, Andy Schleck is a big part of this year's product.

Maybe he / they (the schlecks) were a big part but they went sour in the first 5.6 miles of this race. What are they going to do now put the racing on hold every time they fall too far behind?

Chavenel didn't seem to think waiting was such a great strategy now did he?
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 07-05-10, 12:59 PM
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dstrong
I hear Cervelo TT is changing bikes for tomorrow.

I can't decide whether that picture is awesome or atrocious. I guess is depends on whether its owner is some childish hipster or an actual handicapped person. But I can't see a brake on the thing so I'm afraid it's the former.
Old 07-05-10, 01:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Phil Liggett - it's a bicycle race after all, and these professional cyclists should expect the unexpected...

IMHO, they should not have to find it necessary to resort to improptu "protests", since that only gives the public the impression that they are ill-tempered athletes - and in doing so also made less the stage victory to the deserving rider, since they could always say that "they gave it to him", and "we could have caught him"...

Sure, the downhill was fast and slick, but had it not been raining and no one had fallen, would they have made the same fuss - probably not...

As a touring club cyclist of many years, even I know that if it's raining and you're faced with a downhill - I better be alert and keep the speed down, at least a certain percentage lower than in the dry, lest I fall...

Perhaps this was a carry-over from the bitter comments made during the Olympics (following the death of the luge athlete), that organizers seem to put the althetes in more danger than is expected in order to keep the public interest (as one American cyclist alluded to today), but I sincerely do not think that was the case - perhaps the Tour organizers could have done more, could have alerted everyone via race radio that the downhill was slick, but a sudden shower (as the case today) is a sudden shower, and fast downhills are by their nature dangerous for cyclists (we lost a club member 2 years ago to a fast downhill), and again as Phil Liggett said, this is a race after all...

Frank

Last edited by Glades2; 07-05-10 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-05-10, 01:32 PM
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
It was a disgrace.
Actually it wasn't.

I can see both sides of the argument though but think too big a deal is being made about this incident.

Riders do have good cause for being angry about the increasingly dangerous finishes organizers have allowed in the last 15 years. The increase in road furniture and organizers continuing to award finishes to towns with a silly amount of said furniture is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by Laggard; 07-05-10 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-05-10, 02:14 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As far as I can tell, seems like the only group that is irritated over the neutralization is Cervelo, and that's because their guys didn't go down.

A velonews article said that a motorbike was avoiding the very first crash and spilled oil/gas on the road, which is what caused others to slide out.
Old 07-05-10, 02:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the cancelara bike: it's true!

I didn't believe anything about the story of the "cancellara bike" but now I know it's true!

These saxo guys will do anything to win. Not surprising really, with the biggest fraud that ever rode a bike, Bjarne Riis, as their team manager.

The other teams should ostracize those poor losers.
Old 07-05-10, 02:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quel
As far as I can tell, seems like the only group that is irritated over the neutralization is Cervelo, and that's because their guys didn't go down.

A velonews article said that a motorbike was avoiding the very first crash and spilled oil/gas on the road, which is what caused others to slide out.

Oh come on - most the riders had to deal with the oil. Only the unskilled ones fell. Why should the good ones be penalized.
Old 07-05-10, 02:29 PM
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cannibal
I didn't believe anything about the story of the "cancellara bike" but now I know it's true!

These saxo guys will do anything to win. Not surprising really, with the biggest fraud that ever rode a bike, Bjarne Riis, as their team manager.

WOW, just registered for that post. Marvelous
Old 07-05-10, 02:36 PM
insert witty comment here

Bikes: 2016 Specialized AWOL, 2011 Electra Bike Ticino, '09 Trek 7.2 FX, Peugeot UE 18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the official word on AS' injury?
Old 07-05-10, 02:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
WOW, just registered for that post. Marvelous
Yeah, cycling is going downhill. It is time somebody stood up and put a stop to it!
Old 07-05-10, 02:44 PM
fixed for the long haul

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Professional, 1990 Cannondale 3.0 Touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh come on - most the riders had to deal with the oil. Only the unskilled ones fell. Why should the good ones be penalized.
I'm pretty sure you're joking.
Old 07-05-10, 02:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 40 Cent
I'm pretty sure you're joking.
Working from the logic that the best win the races, I am concluding that the worst ones fall. And should be left behind. Some weird Darwinian approach to cycling. Even if the cause is an object (motor oil!) foreign/unnatural to racing.....

Ok, I'll stop. Yes I was and am still joking.
Old 07-05-10, 03:13 PM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I just think about it as the corporatization of sport. There's a quality of product that is trying to be protected and, given the build-up to and advertising of the product, Andy Schleck is a big part of this year's product.
Too Big To Fail
Old 07-05-10, 03:40 PM
Lance Hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cannibal

Wow. Your first post and you post this idiocy?
Old 07-05-10, 04:00 PM
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
If it rains, the roads will be FAR worse tomorrow. If it rains, then, would they mind neutralizing the race before they start? That would save us all a lot of time watching a meaningless parade.
Old 07-05-10, 04:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, what a crazy stage. Jens knows how to suffer.

I saw video of a rider going down for no reason -- he was moving slowly, the road was bending slightly to the left, but the tires just weren't gripping the road and he went down.

This was a good article: https://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...d-stage_125976

Some quotes about the road conditions:

It all started when Lampre rider Francesco Gavazzi crashed out of the breakaway on the Stockeu. A TV motorcycle then crashed while avoiding hitting Gavazzi, and the bike spilled oil on the road. The oil had time to run down the hill by the time the peloton came through a few minutes later, setting off a dangerous domino effect that saw over 60 riders sliding across the road.

�There was something on the road,� Armstrong said. �We just couldn�t stay on our bikes�. It was more of a slide. I�ve got some good abrasions. It was so slippery that you just slid, so not much swelling. It was mostly abrasions. I will feel fine tomorrow� It seems that almost everybody crashed. Everyone will be banged up tomorrow. Between today and yesterday, the vast majority of the peloton has been on the ground at least once.�

�It was a straight road, downhill, with oil on it, and the whole peloton went down,� Evans said. �Sorry to the public for not racing. But it would not have been fair to the many who were injured.�

�It was ridiculously slippery,� said Team Sky manager Dave Brailsford. �They were coming down the last couple of descents and there were guys in the trees. It was carnage in the true sense of the word. Sixty guys must have crashed in different places.�

Contador has suffered a blow and abrasions on the right hip, knee and elbow. �On this road it was impossible not to fall. I fell on a straight part at about 60kph and when I thought about what could have happened, I saw that at every turn there were people on the ground; it was impossible to go without falling.�
Old 07-05-10, 04:08 PM
Lance Hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Horner had to say about today:

""They put on a dangerous stage and so when they put it on like that, that's the result they'll get," Horner told Cyclingnews. "They got all their drama on the descent and they lost it all at the finish and they got what they deserved. The only thing more stupid about this stage is the pro cycling federation and Cedric Vasseur for ever letting a stage like this exist in the first place. There's no place in the Tour de France for a stage like this.""
Old 07-05-10, 04:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
If it rains, the roads will be FAR worse tomorrow. If it rains, then, would they mind neutralizing the race before they start? That would save us all a lot of time watching a meaningless parade.
There's a big difference between wet roads (natural and expected) and oil (unnatural and unexpected).
Old 07-05-10, 04:11 PM
Lance Hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoelS
This is the problem with race radios and in race tv to the cars and such. They seem to have forgotten how to race.
How right you are. The way LL was talking riders are helpless without radios and tvs in the cars.
Old 07-05-10, 04:36 PM
Slower than Yesterday

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Specialized Fatboy Carbon Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Analysis on the stage and the crash from Carmichael: https://www.trainright.com/articles.asp?uid=4930 - not a bad read.
Old 07-05-10, 05:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
How right you are. The way LL was talking riders are helpless without radios and tvs in the cars.
Yep. LL made it sound like everyone had to slow down just to figure out what to do next because team cars didn't know who was where. Here's an option Levi, keep riding to the finish. One of the biggest arguments by the team for keeping the radios is safety. How many crashes are avoided because of the radio? Any?
Old 07-05-10, 05:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Protectionism will lead to lessor product in future years. Crashing and injuries are part of of every major sport. Even the premier athletes arent immune from it. If the Schlecks had gotten dropped then guess what...a new rider that maybe people didnt know about would be at the top and then NEXT year when the schlecks came back not only would you have the shlecks but a NEW rider that maybe no had heard of.

In short the tour is better when it doesnt protect its elite riders in this way. In fact in the long run its worse for them. That and it looks bloody awful to the casual fan to "protest" like that. the TdF will lose far more viewers allowing that crap to happen than it will if through the course of a race a top contender gets dropped from an accident or injury.
Old 07-05-10, 10:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I normally have the biggest respect for Cancelara. Today was kind of disappointing. He had no choice but to wait for the Schleck's. It wouldnt have went over well if he left the team's main GC hopes back in the dust just to stay in yellow for a a little longer. He looked to be acting kind of *****y about the whole thing which isn't something I'm used to seeing him do (more of a cuddles trait). Facial expressions and pointing and all that jazz. It was said before but they knew about these stages way before they got here. They knew this race is dangerous. There is an incredible amount of first time tour riders this year. Why all the drama? You could kind of see it in the faces of everyone else that it seemed a little BS that they rolled in like that. But who would stand against Cancelara? idk.. just a little disappointed in the way he handled it.
Old 07-05-10, 10:17 PM
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe it was overshadowed by Stage 3, but I don't remember anyone saying this stage was dangerous before today. Perhaps you can blame the organizers for not reacting to the oil spill properly (a common theme in today's world, it seems), but hindsight is 20/20 and everyone wants to say they knew the stage was dangerous beforehand. If something happens tomorrow, then they can talk about a dangerous route.

I felt bad for Cancellara as the stage went on. He lost the jersey through no fault of his own and I give him props for waiting around for his teammates. I understand why he did what he did, but I do think there should have been a sprint at the end. It especially sucks for Hushovd because Cav was getting dropped on the climbs before the whole crash mess started and Hushovd should have opened up a nice lead in points over Cav today. It just seemed like two guys got robbed instead of one for no good reason.

I understand that you don't attack after a crash, but once everybody catches back up the race is on. Go ahead and sprint it out. Anyone who was afraid of another crash could have hung back out of the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.