Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-12, 07:39 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
First leg at 5:30 am.. Cold and fast!!
Old 11-30-12, 08:47 AM

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Felt really slow today, legs felt like tree trunks tho time in was only about 3 minutes more than usual (for 11 miles). It was 42F this morning - +20 over Wednesday and supposed to be in the low 50's this afternoon. Not bad for the first day of December!

Update: I figured out why my legs felt heavy in the morning, rear wheel was off center and rubbing the brake. Duh.... sometimes I'm a bonehead

Last edited by arsprod; 12-01-12 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-30-12, 08:59 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I felt really bad for running over a bunny rabbit last night. My light had gone into flashing mode for the low battery level and I only had about a quarter second - not enough. I think the flashing disoriented him and those guys are daredevil crazy to begin with. I went back to check and he was already gone so at least I didn't kill it outright.
Old 11-30-12, 09:41 AM

Bikes: Stigmata. Bronson. Macho Man. Big Block. King Cobra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fall in NYC has been great. Not as many commuters on the road which makes for a smooth ride into the city. Caught green lights from Houston to 25th. Such a good feeling.
Old 11-30-12, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About 25F and a bit breezy, but overall a nice ride in today. Did not wear the face mask, and surprise surprise my glasses did not fog up! My toes got a bit cold though, not sure what I'm going to do about that.
Old 11-30-12, 10:11 AM
I'm whats for dinner

Bikes: 06 Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warm this moring. Ride was decent, the atermath not so much. I think I exerted myself too much on the way in. Ended up in oe of the planters in the atrium after passing out. Must be dehydrated today.
Old 11-30-12, 10:18 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
-10C with a 41kph headwind made for another slow ride, 75 minutes but I dialled the effort back a bit from yesterday. I was going to give myself a break and take my mountain bike, but the brake and shifter cables were frozen so I took the Pugsley. The trucks were out plowing the MUP early this morning, so I didn't have to deal with drifts the entire way.

There is a fatbike group ride here tomorrow. Should be fun.
Old 11-30-12, 11:02 AM

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
Pretty mild today, around 10C/50F with a bit of light rain.

Almost ran over a bunny.
Funny, that was about the conditions here this morning, and I almost hit ...something. I think it was a squirrel, but it might have been a large rat or one of those water voles (name begins with an 'n', I think). It felt good riding in again. I hadn't been on the bike since I went down monday on ice and hurt my hip.
Old 11-30-12, 01:14 PM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Raining here today, so the roads were clear and no person on the MUP. Very peaceful!
Old 11-30-12, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Versa2nr
Warm this moring. Ride was decent, the atermath not so much. I think I exerted myself too much on the way in. Ended up in oe of the planters in the atrium after passing out. Must be dehydrated today.
That's too serious to take lightly, and I'd be skeptical of simple dehydration/heat exhaustion causing you to pass out. It can happen, but in cooler weather after a commute would be extremely rare. I hope you've scheduled a visit with a doctor.
Old 11-30-12, 01:35 PM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
-2C/29F on the way home

can really feel the difference from 4C/39F

Old 11-30-12, 08:29 PM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I felt really bad for running over a bunny rabbit last night. My light had gone into flashing mode for the low battery level and I only had about a quarter second - not enough. I think the flashing disoriented him and those guys are daredevil crazy to begin with. I went back to check and he was already gone so at least I didn't kill it outright.
I ran over one once on foot. I was in mid-air and he came out from some brush right into my path. He made for a soft landing. I don't know how badly he was hurt, as when I stopped and looked back he was scuttling off the path. I don't think you need to dazzle them. It's the price they pay for our desire and ability to travel at greater than a walking pace, I guess.
Old 11-30-12, 08:31 PM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Rain today. I had a meeting in Salem so I didn't have to ride in the dark for a change, so that was nice. But pretty much 27 miles of rain.
Old 12-01-12, 12:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday it hit below freezing point. The other day a guy in a jeep making a right turn almost hit me. I think this may have been the closest encounter I've had to date. If I didn't move further left, he would have hit me for sure. He said sorry twice and sped off. I was in a rather bad mood and a bit aggressive. He then stopped to wait for me and then called me an ******* for my attitude and sped back off.
Old 12-01-12, 01:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
This morning at McDs 2 guys were standing around by one of the bicycle racks. Since they effectively blocked that one I parked at the other and went in. I get a cup of coffee and take it to work on weekdays. Took 3-4 min.

When I came out one of the guys was standing near my bike looking at it. As I unlocked and got ready to leave the other walked a bike up to me and said, "Hey. Since you have 2 lights and I have none how about giving me one of yours?"

I turned him down but felt for him. But as I'm riding off I notice my headlight which I left on the handlebars is pointing straight up. Somebody had loosened the mount and tried to take it off. Now I'm miffed but it's not worth going back and giving them a piece of my mind. From now on I guess I take the headlight and computer in with me. And make sure the front quick release wheel is locked too.
I can just imagine what kind of character that guy was. I can't believe you leave your computer unattended like that. I assume it's quick release. I always take my computer and headlight with me which are both QR. I sometimes leave my taillight on the bike which requires a screwdriver to dismount and leave my front wheel with QR skewer unlocked especially if it's within sight. I've been doing this when going grocery shopping. I wonder if this is going to stab me in the back someday. If I lock it up at a university or something I definitely take off the taillight and lock the front wheel. At work, I lock it next to the security officer, so I don't bother with the taillight.
Old 12-03-12, 02:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rimmer
I can just imagine what kind of character that guy was. I can't believe you leave your computer unattended like that. I assume it's quick release. I always take my computer and headlight with me which are both QR. I sometimes leave my taillight on the bike which requires a screwdriver to dismount and leave my front wheel with QR skewer unlocked especially if it's within sight. I've been doing this when going grocery shopping. I wonder if this is going to stab me in the back someday. If I lock it up at a university or something I definitely take off the taillight and lock the front wheel. At work, I lock it next to the security officer, so I don't bother with the taillight.
bike racks at McDonalds
Old 12-03-12, 02:38 AM
Banned

+1C/33F ... with these temperatures most bike commuters only go to the inner city, which makes my commute to the suburbs quite easy
Old 12-03-12, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50F/11C coming in, a damp foggy warm morning. My stupid squeaky front brake pads always act up when conditions are damp.
Old 12-03-12, 06:54 AM
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
42F/6C with a headwind, and gloomy. I felt tired & slow. The weekend's ice & snow is long gone.
Old 12-03-12, 06:55 AM
Banned

it's snowing ... and I can't wait for the first ride home in the snow

you can see the flakes beginning to blow around here:

https://extern5.1000eyes.de/cam/dr/00408CC4E342/

https://extern5.1000eyes.de/cam/dr/00408CC7F72F/
Old 12-03-12, 07:12 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Very warm and humid this morning, with temps in the mid-50s -- about 30 degrees higher than this time last week. Made decent time considering I had a headwind all the way can caught nearly every red light.
Old 12-03-12, 07:38 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,652 Times in 957 Posts
Originally Posted by Rimmer
Both the headlight and computer are quick release. I have no idea why they couldn't get the light off. Or maybe they wanted the mount with it.

How much I do to secure my bike is situational. If I'm just going to be in for a minute or two, such as to pick up a cup of Joe, I just use the cable lock, not the U-lock. If I'm going to be in for a long time both locks are deployed, computer and light are removed. There is always a risk no matter what precautions you take.

Despite being in a "bad" neighborhood it is usually quiet. The McDs is within a block of the main police station here in Phx and nobody wants to start a fight right there. For now tho I am taking the light in with me. Probably more important I am watching the people outside as I lock the bike.
Old 12-03-12, 09:07 AM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First commute of December. A little chilly @ 44ºF, but not uncomfortable. No wind. No rain. Light traffic. Only ticked off one driver.

I'd call that a pretty good day so far.
Old 12-03-12, 09:42 AM
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First commute for the last 6 days ( been sick) and first commute ever in december for me. Surprisingly a warm 6 celcius this morning.
the legs we're really fine which surprised me after 6 days, I managed to cover my 27.15 kms in 1h02. Not bad for an old man
Old 12-03-12, 10:24 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
-13C with a 60 to 70 kph tail / side wind, but too icy to safely build up much speed. It rained a lot yesterday afternoon and the MUP was a pure sheet of ice for half the ride. When the win was at my side it would push me sideways across the ice. I wiped out once, but landed it well. I brought some de-iced for a bad spot under a bridge, but that was probably one of the better spots after the rain. The roads seemed much better so I might skip the MUP for the ride home.

Overall not too bad a ride, after doing 186km on my fatbike last week I needed a slow day. My left calf is a little tweaked so I should go easy a few days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.