Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Numb feet-- I know it's common and I've searched the forum...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Numb feet-- I know it's common and I've searched the forum...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
This

Back and forth with a fitter, wedges, inserts, blah blah...it turned out that I was "grabbing" (flexing) with my toes. I just have to think about relaxing my foot.
+1

i had a very similar issue with ice skates. Played hockey for 35 years, and always had my toes turn numb by the end of a game. Started speed skating a few years ago, same issue and never thought much about, as I've always liked skates very snug fitting. I commented about it to one of club coaches in the "post-skate rehydration sessions" aka beers, and he said "relax your foot, and focus on putting pressure on the whole sole". D'oh!!!!!

It took me a few months to implement this, and lots of focused training, but numb toes are gone. Nice bonus is that the skating stride is very similar to pedaling, so it made a significant improvement when I ride. Not so much speed, but comfort and control.

+1000

the comment on nerve pinching. Get that checked out ASAP, as it will get much worse before it gets better. There are occasionally non-surgical solutions if it isn't too bad. This issue can create all kinds of havoc beyond your toes.
Old 06-14-13, 08:18 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
This

Back and forth with a fitter, wedges, inserts, blah blah...it turned out that I was "grabbing" (flexing) with my toes. I just have to think about relaxing my foot.
This is it. Who thought riding a bike could be done so wrong for so long? My pedal stroke is in rehab right now, and it is not an overnight thing - you really have to focus.

FWIW, I started a foot discomfort thread a while back and have updated it from time to time. The latest remedy that has worked the best, better than anything else I have tried in 20 years, is toe separators. They cost about $8.00 at Walgreens or drugstore.com, and I sleep with them. This allows my foot to relax in a normal, i.e. un-cramped position. Not an overnight thing, but again, more like a rehabilitation for a foot that has been abused for so long.

For reference.