Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Explain yourself! What does your username/avatar mean?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Explain yourself! What does your username/avatar mean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 10:28 AM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
So many stories behind names and avatars... funny, sad, absurd ones.
As for me, couldn't find out what brand my first road bicycle was (probably custom made), only knew it had Reynolds tubing. So, I called it "the Reynolds". I still have that frame.
My avatar is someone we all should be grateful to - Baron Karl von Drais.
Old 05-24-10, 06:07 PM
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
A Fist is a commander in the Malazan Army.

High Fist is the supreme commander of the Malazan Army.

Shin is a nick-name. My avatar is grim and perfect with a face that expresses extreme displeasure. Kind of what you would expect from the Supreme Commander of a fantasy series army. What can I say, I'm a fan of Steven Erikson.

-Shin

Last edited by High Fist Shin; 05-24-10 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-25-10, 03:39 AM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I am a welder, the FT stands for many things and changes as needed.
Old 05-25-10, 05:13 AM
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
In high school, my nickname was Mickey (for my last name - McD*****). At the time, I hated it. 85 - my birth year. I've used the handle as one of two on various message boards for the past decade or so.

Charlie Brown...well...it's been a stressful year or three.
Old 05-25-10, 07:25 AM

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, somehow I thought that I had done this once before, but maybe on another forum?

Anyhow, I'm the technical team leader (lead engineer) for the Focused Ion Beam lab of a major semiconductor development organization. If you want to be bored to tears, Google "FIB", and check out the Wikipedia page. It's good work if you are into science. We hold a bunch of patents, get to publish research papers and occasionally lecture.

Those of us who 'FIB', are know as Fibbers.

The picture is of me and my beloved puppy Madison, who died of stomach bloat a few years ago.
Old 05-25-10, 08:42 AM
Veni, Vidi, Bici

Bikes: Colnagos (2005 Brera Art, 2007 President LdV, 2007 CF6)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
Mine means "I Like Bicycles" in Tagalog.
Quite a coincidence given that in Gaelic pogue mahone means "kiss my a**."

Edit: I see I'm about 4 pages too late with this info!

Last edited by gridplan; 05-25-10 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-25-10, 10:24 AM
D.G.W Hedges

Bikes: '87ish Trek 400 road bike, 93 trek 1100, 90ish trek 930 mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright i'm game. this is a cool thread. I have been posting on BF on and off since 2005 so alot of these avatars/names are familiar.

My last name is hedges, consequently most people call me by my last name and I usually introduce myself with my last name. Its a much more interesting and unique name then my first name. Though i hear it is a common name in england. The mr part came about in high school when i was creating an email address for myself, I thought it would be funny if i used mrhedges since i am about as far from formal as one can get. Since then i have used it for most Internet/computer things. Though lately i have also been using D.G.W Hedges since my full name is David George Willam Hedges, sounds classy huh?

the avatar is the cover of the first album by the band death, i go through periods of time were i listen to alot of death metal when i picked the avatar i was going through one of those periods, I might change it though its alittle of putting, though the band death is really great if you want to listen to only one death metal band pick death, maybe i'll change it to david bowie or john prime.
Old 05-25-10, 11:01 AM
Vorsprung durch Technik

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Crossroads, 1985 Raleigh Sportif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First and last initials colt comes from the brand of firearms! Avatar is cause I am from West Virginia and a Mountaineer fan
Old 03-14-11, 10:01 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
<-- First name.

Technically a with silent ğ that lengthens the preceding vowel instead of being pronounced itself, but people just call me Tug.

Thread bumped.
Old 03-14-11, 10:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a film camera assistant. In the US, cinema cameras and projectors run at 24 frames per second.
Old 03-14-11, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My friends just call me Colonel, but refer to me as The Colonel. My grand dad gave me a few milk crates of his country records a few years ago. Porter Waggoner's "The Rubber Room" was in there (the same photo of that sweaty forehead and golden pompadour were used on "The Carroll County Accident"). Another relative called me Porter as a child because of a pair of blue cowboy boots I wore. I like awesomely tacky album art. This bizarre number features another Kentucky colonel. Just plain weird.

Originally Posted by tugrul
Technically a with silent ğ that lengthens the preceding vowel instead of being pronounced itself, but people just call me Tug.
I've wondered that several times, but never looked it up. Emphasis on the second syllable?

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 03-14-11 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 10:16 PM

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toytech I am an ex Toyota mechanic, (now at Lexus) I have used it for years on car forums.
My avatar, well you would just have to work next to me for a while..let's just say I have the gift of ridicule.
Old 03-14-11, 10:27 PM
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Ciocc Cat" was my nickname among members of the Shreveport Bicycle Club "Wild Bunch" (outlaw) racing (and beer drinking) team in the late 1980s. I was the only Ciocc rider and I could shoot up hills like a cat climbs a tree back-in-the-day. My avatar is a photo of me taken right after a ride in March 2010.
Old 03-14-11, 10:29 PM
spookeaymarine.info

Location: Me, I'm in Central Alabama C.S.A. But my husband is under the bed. He's sure there is a black helicopter orbiting our house.

Bikes: Schwin,Ross,Cannondale.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well my Avatar at the time of writing this is of me in a 34 foot 2500 HP Skater off shore racing boat.

My User name Spookeay Bird is also the name of my marine business. It originates from one of my five parrots and my oldest African Grey parrot who's name is "SPOOKEAY BIRD".

Now the spelling of Spookeay is a play on my maiden name of Keay "Like a key in the lock".... So spook+keay=spookeay. And so came Spookeay Marine and the use of Spookeay Bird as a nic on many chat rooms....... Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
birds (7).jpg (100.7 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by Spookeay Bird; 03-14-11 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Image size
Old 03-14-11, 10:31 PM
Mostly Mischief

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
My name.

And the avatar has been a changing set of popular music performers that I listen to. I only remember the last 3: Joe Strummer, Zappa and Trey Anastasio. My biggest hero, Shane MacGowan, is simply too ugly to be avatarized. But, to connect with earlier posts, he uttered more than once: Pogue mahone!!
Old 03-14-11, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a firefighter and it stands for automatic nozzle
Old 03-14-11, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
My biggest hero, Shane MacGowan, is simply too ugly to be avatarized.
Ha! His new teeth only worsened the problem! I've been trying to convince my wife for years that we should name our first born child Ely Strummer. She's yet to budge on the issue.
Old 03-14-11, 10:46 PM
Mostly Mischief

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Would be a brilliant stroke. Lucky kid!

Old 03-14-11, 10:56 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Haha, quite a response at midnight EDT.

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I've wondered that several times, but never looked it up. Emphasis on the second syllable?
Don't think so, although I've repeated my name in my head so many times at the moment that it's starting to hurt.

Somewhere in the ball park of two rule.
Old 03-14-11, 10:57 PM

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Is where I live and like it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Bend,_Washington
Old 03-14-11, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
Would be a brilliant stroke. Lucky kid!

Wow, that feels like a million years ago. The Clash at Monterey. The place was empty. There was a wood platform maybe twenty feet deep running the width of the stage and everybody in the whole arena was on it when the band was playing. I think it collapsed eventually, but nobody cared. It was great.
Old 03-15-11, 01:45 AM

Bikes: Serotta Davis Phinney, 1992 Serotta T Max,1984 Specialized Allez, Olmo, 1974 Strawberry,Redline bmx, ect.,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Randy here. nwbikeman is because I love bikes and have work on bikes professionally since I started in a bike shop in Tacoma 1975. Went to the Bicycle shop in Anchorage AK in 1981 for a summer, back to Tacoma in 82 and then worked for a small shop by the University of Washington. Then I found Gregg's cycles in Seattle in 83, they opened a store in Bellevue and have been there ever since. I have all types of bikes and to many to list and flip bikes on the side. My current customer build is a 1984 Eddy with full Super Record. My current build is an NOS 1993 OCLV Trek carbon hard tail Mountain bike(frame with box) and 1972 Olmo race bike.
Old 03-15-11, 07:13 AM

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
"azorch" has nothing to do with C&V or, in fact, bicycles. The short version is this: I'm an artist and many, many years ago I penned a daily cartoon strip - one of the comic relief characters was named Alex Zorch, a name I blatantly stole from a book titled "Superfan," which was written and inked by the great Jack Davis. For some reason, people started to call me "Zorch" (back when I was a competitive runner, one "clever" newspaper went so far as to call me "The Zorch Scorch"... but I digress.) The clincher came when I was working for one of the best graphic design firms in the country but getting paid a pauper's wage. To add insult to injury, we were restricted from doing any sort of freelance work whatsoever (at the risk of losing our day job.) Needing the money, most of us to the risk and freelanced anyway - but under a pseudonym. One lady I know went by the name of "Larry Denton." Another fellow was "J. Raymond." I was, of course, "Alex Zorch" - or simply "Zorch." It was all a comical game in the end because these pseudonyms were very badly cloaked secretes. Most of us developed some degree of reputation or notoriety under these guises. And oddly enough, some clients are impressed with vaguely Eastern European sounding names - they will trust their creative projects to someone named Alexi Volkovich before giving it to Joe Smith (even if it turns out to be the same person.) Many of those people tried to connect me, in their fantasy, to Baltic States, where Design is spelled with a capital "D" and genius runs like water through the streets of academe. (All nuts, of course. After all I had named myself after a cartoon character drawn by an artist from Mad Magazine!) Anyway, as all silly things tend to do, the name stuck. It far outlived the original purpose of hiding my illicit extracurricular career from my evil employers, and people began to call me "Zorch," a completely fictitious name, entirely based on whimsey. My wife had personalized license plates made for me that say "ZORCH," and I still treasure the memory of a delivery guy who was standing outside looking at the back of my car with a puzzled look on his face. He turned to me and said, "Zorch? That's your name?" He paused and asked, "Would you be of the Independence, Missouri Zorch family?"

No friggin' way.
Old 03-15-11, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Mine doesn't mean anything. When I first signed up here, my user name seemed unimportant so I just picked something out of the air. Rootboy? No idea where it came from. I could've made up an explanation, but, alas, there is none.

My avatar? I change it now and again, when the whim strikes me. Old bike parts seem appropriate.
Old 03-15-11, 07:24 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Whenever I read this thread, I want to change my user name again. Something interesting. Something enigmatic. Hmm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.