Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Expanding the temperature range of a sleeping bag

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Expanding the temperature range of a sleeping bag

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-17, 05:54 PM

Bikes: Marin Larkspur CS2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Bryce NP web page pegs the average low at 37. I was initially planning to be able to sleep near freezing, and if it looked like the low could be lower, book a room somewhere. @mev suggested weatherspark.com. They list Bryce airport (could be a bit different). Nights in the mid 20s seem to be a definite possibility. Bummer...

So... I'll get an Xtherm and will experiment nights on the porch to get an idea. Let's just say that sleeping in a 40F rated bag (it is a Zpacks -- they are excellent and I have no reason to believe that the rating is overly optimistic) with the night's temperature dipping to the mid 30s is one thing, but I seriously doubt that I'll be able to (figuratively) survive the mid 20s. From the porch, no big deal. From the trail, would take away the fun. Being from Quebec, we have plenty of opportunities to be cold, so I'd rather not spend precious time shivering away from home.

Still plenty of time ahead to eventually order a warmer quilt.
make sure you get in the yard, not the portch. ground, congrete, and or wood are different.
Old 09-25-17, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 567 Posts
When comes to sleeping pads...
One thing to consider is whether you are dealing with a cold night here and there with warmer daytime highs or truly cold weather around the clock. The times and places I have toured had some cold overnight lows but it usually got to 50F or more in the daytime.

For that kind of conditions my uninsulated Neoair X-Lite (R2.3) has been fine since while it may get cold at night, the ground isn't frozen hard under me, even when the overnight lows got into the teens F. So even for February on the Southern Tier it was fine.

For real winter conditions with hard frozen ground I would add a foam pad along with the NeoAir. The thing is, I don't generally tour when/where those conditions are expected. I might need to add the foam pad on an XC ski trip or a winter backpacking trip, but have not felt the need to do so for touring.
Old 09-25-17, 08:48 AM

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
When comes to sleeping pads...
One thing to consider is whether you are dealing with a cold night here and there with warmer daytime highs or truly cold weather around the clock. The times and places I have toured had some cold overnight lows but it usually got to 50F or more in the daytime.

For that kind of conditions my uninsulated Neoair X-Lite (R2.3) has been fine since while it may get cold at night, the ground isn't frozen hard under me, even when the overnight lows got into the teens F. So even for February on the Southern Tier it was fine.

For real winter conditions with hard frozen ground I would add a foam pad along with the NeoAir. The thing is, I don't generally tour when/where those conditions are expected. I might need to add the foam pad on an XC ski trip or a winter backpacking trip, but have not felt the need to do so for touring.
+1.

I also suggested combining a lightweight CCF with X-Lite for the occasional colder outings. An X-therm is kinda of a mismatch paired with a 40F bag - it'll work of course, but unnecessarily doubling pad weight/bulk for most of the warmer trips when you are well within your bag's comfort range. If you're regularly camping in sub-freezing temps, or camping on snow, by all means go for the X-therm... but then you should also get a warmer bag.

FWIW, I think 30F night time lows (as mentioned, the ground will be warmer) are well within the X-lite's R-3.2 comfort range alone. When I was testing pads, I tried <R-2 (4oz 1/8" evazote + uninsulated Klymit Inertia X-Lite and even Cush) in the 20F night temps with w/ a 20F bag and was fine (Clicky). Also, if I do feel some minor cold creeping up from the ground, I just roll on my side putting my arm, shoulder, and hip in contact and go right back to sleep no problem. I even take short snowsport naps with an ~R-1 micropad (Klymit Cush pillow) - Clicky.

Last edited by reppans; 09-25-17 at 09:00 AM.