Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chain Slap

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chain Slap

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-20, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
As others have said, the freehub isn't properly 'freewheeling'. Look at some YooTube vids and overhaul the freehub, it's not hard. If it's chain slapping, it's worth fixing.

Beautiful bike. I'm trying to deduct points for improper presentation, but everything appears to be in order. Valve steams vertically oriented, tire labels oriented to the valve stems, crank at 3:00 with chain in big chainring.....but I suspect your steerer needs to be cut 10 mm. Perhaps handlebars should be rotated up a smidge and the levers moved down that smidge.....and those crazy vertical slats make it harder to judge compared to a backdrop of a white garage door..... but nonetheless, a grand showing of a grand steed.
haha. Thank you kindly. Still working out a few kinks before I cut that tube. Then I’ll throw up on hot or not.
Old 02-06-20, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
hot
Agree.

Not my cup of tea, I'm more a lugged steel guy, but I'd definitely not kick that bike out of bed if it were to suddenly appear. Yow.
Old 02-06-20, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Agreed - other than steerer stump, that is a damn sharp bike! Love the color.
Old 02-06-20, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 980 Posts
As the owner of 3 Look bikes (481SL, 496, and 595) I thoroughly approve
Old 02-07-20, 08:40 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I'd probably try a different wheel from your LBS(preferably one that's broken in), and see if the problem continues. If their wheel works fine, look into why the freehub body is sticking.
Brought to my LBS yesterday. The morning ride there were a few slight noises annoying me so explained the slap, the noises, etc and asked them to go over the bike. Surprised at the same day service, they wrapped up in the afternoon. They couldn't reproduce the slap but found that the bottom bracket was very slightly loose, rear disc caliper was slightly loose, and the saddle rails to post clamp thingy was slightly loose.

When I picked it up I tried to demo the slap again and it was almost non-existent. The mechanic was suspicious of the long cage derailleur. Also, my regular wheels shockingly were returned from the manufacturer as well, so I should have a good idea this weekend if it was the freehub sticking or if it is the derailleur.
Likes For inspclouseau:
Old 02-07-20, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by inspclouseau
Brought to my LBS yesterday. The morning ride there were a few slight noises annoying me so explained the slap, the noises, etc and asked them to go over the bike. Surprised at the same day service, they wrapped up in the afternoon. They couldn't reproduce the slap but found that the bottom bracket was very slightly loose, rear disc caliper was slightly loose, and the saddle rails to post clamp thingy was slightly loose.

When I picked it up I tried to demo the slap again and it was almost non-existent. The mechanic was suspicious of the long cage derailleur. Also, my regular wheels shockingly were returned from the manufacturer as well, so I should have a good idea this weekend if it was the freehub sticking or if it is the derailleur.
Fingers crossed.

BTW, what disc are those on the Zipp wheels(SRAM)? They look slick.
Old 02-07-20, 08:59 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Fingers crossed.

BTW, what disc are those on the Zipp wheels(SRAM)? They look slick.
SRAM Centerline Rounded, bought late 2018. I also like the Dura Ace ones, but they still only come in centerlock and i need the 6 bolt.