Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Lovers vs Bike Snobs...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 07:48 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
How each sees the world....

[ etc ]
Discredited Trope
"Over the course of time, a trope may be overused, misused, opposed, made obsolete, out of fashion, subverted on many notable occasions, or just end up being widely disliked. Eventually, a trope may reach the point where it becomes one which nobody should dare use seriously and only belongs in parody, satire, homage or pastiche. Often, if one of these is used straight, people will assume it's a Red Herring. "
Did you accidentally post to the wrong forum? This is the 50+
Old 03-24-16, 07:51 AM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Discredited Trope
"Over the course of time, a trope may be overused, misused, opposed, made obsolete, out of fashion, subverted on many notable occasions, or just end up being widely disliked. Eventually, a trope may reach the point where it becomes one which nobody should dare use seriously and only belongs in parody, satire, homage or pastiche. Often, if one of these is used straight, people will assume it's a Red Herring. "
Did you accidentally post to the wrong forum? This is the 50+
i have seen people here with a good sense of humor, fun loving people. However, they don't appear to be the majority of posters in this thread. I will try again at some later date....
Old 03-24-16, 07:53 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I must not be a snob, because I love seeing 'bents and trikes. Partly because it's so rare around here it's like seeing a unicorn, and partly because they're always going so damn fast, even when they have big floppy sun hats on.

The sole reason I check out passing rider's bikes is to add to my mental tally of manufacturers. And in my locality, it's still led by Trek, by a massive margin.
Old 03-24-16, 07:56 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
i have seen people here with a good sense of humor, fun loving people. However, they don't appear to be the majority of posters in this thread. I will try again at some later date....
My apologies to you, and only to you, KaS. The thread is well meant, I should have just left well enough alone, but its done now.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-24-16, 07:57 AM

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
I like the single rear wheel low slung trikes ! Those look like they would be some fun!
Old 03-24-16, 08:10 AM
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I must not be a snob, because I love seeing 'bents and trikes. Partly lbecause it's so rare around here it's like seeing a unicorn, and partly because they're always going so damn fast, even when they have big floppy sun hats on.

Do you suppose I'd get into trouble, if I tried riding a "normal" upright bike, while wearing a big floppy sun hat? Especially when I'm a "normal" hetero guy? It'd certainly be something different, anyways.
Old 03-24-16, 08:13 AM
Non omnino gravis

Can't be done. On a "normal" bike, speeds of even 10mph will remove said floppy sun hat. They use some sort of magical recumbent physics, because the damn hats aren't even moving in the breeze as they rocket by.

You can equip yourself with one of those safety flags, though. That would be different.
Old 03-24-16, 08:23 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Somebody has inadequacy issues.
Old 03-24-16, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Can't be done. On a "normal" bike, speeds of even 10mph will remove said floppy sun hat. They use some sort of magical recumbent physics, because the damn hats aren't even moving in the breeze as they rocket by.

You can equip yourself with one of those safety flags, though. That would be different.
Don't forget the traditional kit of flannel shirt and baggy jeans. Oh and the ZZ Top beard
Old 03-24-16, 08:33 AM
Non omnino gravis

More khakis around these parts. Khakis and tee-shirts.
Old 03-24-16, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Haha. I forgot your location. But I still see the beards everywhere - the universal symbol
Old 03-24-16, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by FullGas
the actions of yet another self-righteous, sociopathic type.

the fact that he boasts about it is both pathetic and disturbing.
That's my thoughts too. But now I wonder if he just made that up to get a reaction. Hard to believe someone really did and said the things he did in real life.
Old 03-24-16, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

How each sees the world....

Originally Posted by Joe Minton
I live in an area saturated with arrogant, self-important people of limited life-experience, compassion and intelligence.
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Imaginary distinctions.

Originally Posted by bargeon
I see a lot more people worrying about snobs than I've met real life snobs. (yes, there are a few out there, so what)

Building straw men (straw snobs?) seems to be a national pastime.

Originally Posted by Bandera
What hardware someone else uses and how they are costumed while operating it is of no interest whatever to experienced cyclists out doing what they do. This is the more or less mature BF sub-forum where setting a hook for divisive twaddle suitable for the 41 sinks to the bottom where it belongs.
See, this is fun. You serious folks are not so much fun.....
+10 to the serious folk. This thread seems based on a holier-than-thou mentality, not unlike these two previous threads:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… … I would suggest a definition of a cyclist as one who claims to being a cyclist...

Originally Posted by baron von trail
[strike]Cyclist[/strike] Bike Lover:

[strike]Bicycle Rider[/strike] Bike Snob
The only thing that might save this thread if it were actually funny.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-24-16 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-24-16, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Fuel at a stop

Bike lover.... Pie and coffee or ice cream

Bike snob...homemade blend of herbs, nutrients, and grains with honey water to drink
Old 03-24-16, 09:07 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Hey ... that's funny. And not caring what others think is the biggest perk of being over 50.

If I've learned anything in life its that people are the same no matter where you go. We all want to be loved, respected, spend our lives doing something worthwhile, and at the end, leave the place better than when we found it. What is different about us are our circumstances, and those circumstances are what cause us to react differently to different things. And we're all at least a bit insecure and unhappy, and some wealthy and poor alike try to address it with whatever material things they can get their hands on.

I have an old version of the Boy Scout handbook lying around. And somewhere at the end in the section where it takes on difficult subjects like getting along with others and "self-gratification" (you should read it some time ... it's a hoot), there is a story of two boys leaving his home town to live in another.

On the outskirts of his new town, the first boy encounters a man and asks him what the people are like in town. The old man asks:

"How were they were you're coming from?"

"Terrible. Cliquish, unfriendly, and vain. I couldn't wait to leave.

The old man answered:

"Well, you'll find them the same here."

The boy wrinkled his brow and moved on. The second boy later approached him and asked the same question. But when asked about the people in his town, he replied:

"Great. Helpful, friendly, and fun. I made a lot of friends and I'm really going to miss them."

"Well, you'll find them the same here."

The boy happily skipped away to his new adventure.

The point is that the old man knew that to a great degree, the people you meet are but a reflection of how you perceive them. It's the observer-expectancy effect in action.
You just stated a great truth. Being retired is fantastic. You are free to say and do almost anything legal that you want to. When I was working I got into almost all government and important business offices in town. I saw and heard things that I couldnt talk about since it would reflect on the company. Now I am free and only responsible to my self.
Old 03-24-16, 09:47 AM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Minton
I live in an area saturated with arrogant, self-important people of limited life-experience, compassion and intelligence. Many of them have learned how to accumulate money, more than the rest of us. Their collective answer to any personal problem is to write a check. These are the folks that tend to buy expensive TDF-qualified road bikes and never mind the pain of riding them or climbing our pervasive local hills with flat-land gearing. These are the folks who, around here, run red lights (perhaps attempting a "Strada" best), never wave and get really pissed if you can pass them on a hill. I am not fond of these types, nor are the local sheriff deputies, neither are the 'normal' folk who are doing their best to integrate their (car) driving habits with us cyclists.

The most common legal bike problem, around here, is bicycle idiots running red lights and four-way stops; not slowing at all, not looking – not acting like a member of our community. Perhaps they do look (who wouldn't) but --- they appear (to cage drivers) to be flaunting their legal responsibilities, which they are.

Revenge:
Just today, my wife and I were crossing the busy main drag in Solvang CA; a considerate driver stopped to let us cross, holding up a dozen or so cars; we waved our thanks and hurried across. Then: a 'road" cyclist came whizzing along to the right of the stopped cars with no intention of even slowing let alone obeying the law. I pretended surprise (I wasn't) and put out my hand in defense. It happened to hit his handlebar; he went down on his right side and lost some skin. I asked him if he was okay, he said he was and I retorted, "that's too bad you arrogant basta*d."

Yeah, I have an attitude! But – bet he won’t do it again and then, perhaps, kill a three-year-old playing in the street.

Joe

If some of you are offended by what I have just stated, I offer that I have spent most of my lifetime dealing with really ignorant people guilty of being arrogant and stupid in public. I have little compassion for such selfish people. I would not make a very good Buddhist.

Joe
I'm shocked that the cyclist didn't cut your throat - I would have.
Old 03-24-16, 10:15 AM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10190 Post(s)
Liked 5,897 Times in 3,177 Posts
I hate those idiots...and they never wave back at me!

Reminds me of how I felt about the cool kids when I was about 9, but, fortunately, battery wasn't my thing.
Old 03-24-16, 10:34 AM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I am a true bike lover. I have a passion for the bikes as well as for riding bikes.

But whereas I like baggy shorts and a golf or tee shirt on a classic steel bike at times (like out with the wife to get ice cream). I also enjoy the (snobbish) kit and more formalized riding.... as best described in "the rules". Whether shaving a few miles off of driving by running errands on a bike.... or bicycle riding purely recreationally.... it's all fun, its all good.

But don't you DARE not wave back at me!!! (It's a joke)
Old 03-24-16, 10:51 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
Riding bikes is fun.
There ya go!
Old 03-24-16, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I hate those idiots...and they never wave back at me!
Someone posted a funny story about a local racer. He hated when people didn't wave back so sometimes he would turn around, chase them down, and yell "hi" right beside them. He said the faster they were going, the more enjoyment he got.
Old 03-24-16, 01:01 PM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10190 Post(s)
Liked 5,897 Times in 3,177 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Someone posted a funny story about a local racer. He hated when people didn't wave back so sometimes he would turn around, chase them down, and yell "hi" right beside them. He said the faster they were going, the more enjoyment he got.
Nice! A man after my crazy, old, bradycardic, heart.
Old 03-24-16, 02:12 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3908 Post(s)
Liked 4,864 Times in 2,244 Posts
Instead of bike snob, I prefer to be called a cycling elitist. Sounds more regal.
The fact that I haven't bought a brand new bicycle in over 10 years, don't use any computers, powermeters or smartphone apps and occasionally ride in street clothes should not disqualify me. Strava what?
Old 03-24-16, 03:05 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I generally get called lots of things, generally they aren't suitable for mixed company or with the kids present. Snob is the mildest thing someone could call me. If the simple fact I chose to wear Lycra shorts, cycling jerseys and use clipless pedals makes me a snob, or whatever, then I'm guilty as charged.

Wildwood, nice stable there, I'll be sharing my C&V build in a few weeks, watch this space.

MoAlpha said, "Nice! A man after my crazy, old, bradycardic, heart." Hmm. a heart after my own old bradycardic heart

Bill
Old 03-24-16, 03:17 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3908 Post(s)
Liked 4,864 Times in 2,244 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Wildwood, nice stable there, I'll be sharing my C&V build in a few weeks, watch this space. Bill
Post your C&V in C&V, you will get more genuine appreciation there. Use nice tubulars and you will not regret it.

PS - the 65+ jersey totally flopped, which was far superior than getting just a couple of orders.

edit: the 'fleet' has been 30 years of cycling evolution & love (+ therapy), here's wishing it never dies - until I do.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-24-16 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-24-16, 03:48 PM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
My apologies to you, and only to you, KaS. The thread is well meant, I should have just left well enough alone, but its done now.
No worries.

Join in the fun though. Some folks have found the humor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.