Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone own a Litespeed Ultimate?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-05, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been considering a Litespeed Ultimate and am wondering if anyone on the board has any personal experience with one.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 06-13-05, 05:15 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I have a Litespeed Tuscany.
Just get the bike. You'll love it.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-13-05, 05:57 AM
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
teramo here, litespeed makes brilliant bikes.

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002
Old 06-13-05, 07:07 AM
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i own a lightspeed ultimate and would be honest and detailed concerning the handling, quickness and comfort of this bike.

i am struck with the quickness in sprints. it is the most responsive bike i have ever riden. The 6/4 BB area and the short wheelbase makes for a substantial difference in a sprint or uphill. I still can't believe how quick the bike accelerates when you need to put the hammer down. It seems like a 1/2 turn of the crank and you are accelerating.

I ride with ksyrium's and d/a 10sp with a ouzo pro fork and EC90 seatpost and fizik saddle. It is aggressive while cornering.

**please note, for all those in the 'lightspeed is overhyped/overpriced camp' or the Ti is an overrated material trolls: i own the bike, am happy with it, and am answering a question to help another BF member.
Old 06-13-05, 07:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone for responding. I am in the middle of buying my 2nd bike. My first bike, I bought when I knew nothing about bikes. Luckily, experienced roadies pointed me in the right direction and I was able to purchase a second hand italian steel bike with good parts for a reasonable amount.

50 pounds, thousands of kilometers and a bunch of races later I'm ready to reward myself.

Originally Posted by RiPHRaPH
i own a lightspeed ultimate and would be honest and detailed concerning the handling, quickness and comfort of this bike.

i am struck with the quickness in sprints. it is the most responsive bike i have ever riden. The 6/4 BB area and the short wheelbase makes for a substantial difference in a sprint or uphill. I still can't believe how quick the bike accelerates when you need to put the hammer down. It seems like a 1/2 turn of the crank and you are accelerating.
Hi RiPHRaPH,

Does the stiff BB and down tube area make the bike uncomfortable over 100+ kms? How about over sketchier road conditions? I was considering the Vortex but one of the Cat2 guys in the club had one and told me it was an @ss hatchet.

Also is your fork the Ouzo Pro Integrated or the regular one?
Old 06-13-05, 09:51 AM
Now with racer-boy font!

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PhatRoadie
FWIW, if you don't want an integrated head tube Litespeed can build one for you without it. I have an '04 Tuscany with a standard (non-integrated) head tube.

www.eastalabamacycling.org
Old 06-13-05, 10:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moonshot
FWIW, if you don't want an integrated head tube Litespeed can build one for you without it. I have an '04 Tuscany with a standard (non-integrated) head tube.
Thanks for the info. I've been going back and forth on this.

On one hand, an integrated head set could cause ovalization of the head tube and a permanent squeak which is not covered by the warranty.

On the other hand the bike might look less cool with a standard head set. (I'm shallow, sue me )
Old 06-13-05, 10:08 AM
Back to being a Clyde....

Bikes: Giant OCR1(specialized carbon seatpost,Terry Fly sadle, Syntace C2): Leader TT frame, Easton EC70fork, Aerolite bars, nashbar bullhorn, Titan Wheels: Fuji Track Pro(2003)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
REALLY???
You are saying that if you buy the bike directly from Litespeed, specced as STOCK out of the factory(integrated headset) and it fails(ovalisation of head tube) it is not covered by warranty????

That is nutty. and it would suck....
Old 06-13-05, 10:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZappCatt
REALLY???
You are saying that if you buy the bike directly from Litespeed, specced as STOCK out of the factory(integrated headset) and it fails(ovalisation of head tube) it is not covered by warranty????

That is nutty. and it would suck....
Its not just Litespeed.

Damage to the head tube supposedly happens over time. So the issue wouldn't come up till considerable wear develops. By which point it would count as "normal wear and tear" in most warranty agreements. The Chris King site has several pages on the "evils" of integrated headsets. The issue is probably overstated.
Old 06-13-05, 10:58 AM

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Vortex - Shimano Ultegra, Jamis Dakar XC- Shimano XT, Diamond Back Axis TT- rigid with drop bars and bar end shifters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 01 Vortex and am very happy with it. I know those frames have been made stiffer each year, but the 01 is very comfortable and climbs like a ***** ape.
Old 06-13-05, 11:45 AM
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been thinking about a ultimate also... nice to hear they are nice and stiff...
Old 06-13-05, 01:26 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Its not just Litespeed.

Damage to the head tube supposedly happens over time. So the issue wouldn't come up till considerable wear develops. By which point it would count as "normal wear and tear" in most warranty agreements. The Chris King site has several pages on the "evils" of integrated headsets. The issue is probably overstated.
Did you actually go through this? I have not, but Litespeeds have a lifetime warrantee. I can see where this could be a gray area. Just wondering, it would be nice to know if some one has been through it first hand.
Old 06-13-05, 01:46 PM

I ride with ksyrium's and d/a 10sp with a ouzo pro fork and EC90 seatpost and fizik saddle. It is aggressive while cornering.

**please note, for all those in the 'lightspeed is overhyped/overpriced camp' or the Ti is an overrated material trolls: i own the bike, am happy with it, and am answering a question to help another BF member.
** What about those in the "Litespeeds are worth every penny/ you get what you pay for" camp, or the "Ti still the holds the record for the lightest production frame ever, and has for a few years (900 grams size md/lg) trolls." or the "I love my Litespeeds and they have plenty miles on them". camp ~ ??

Can we have a voice too?

Quick ! Circle the Litespeeds around us for flame protection. They'll take it. They don't melt either.
Old 06-13-05, 08:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Did you actually go through this? I have not, but Litespeeds have a lifetime warrantee. I can see where this could be a gray area. Just wondering, it would be nice to know if some one has been through it first hand.
No, I haven't. I don't even own a Litespeed... yet.

I do know someone who developed a crack in his BB after several years of riding, but because his dealer closed down, could not avail of his warranty.
Old 06-13-05, 09:03 PM
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone for responding. I am in the middle of buying my 2nd bike. My first bike, I bought when I knew nothing about bikes. Luckily, experienced roadies pointed me in the right direction and I was able to purchase a second hand italian steel bike with good parts for a reasonable amount.

50 pounds, thousands of kilometers and a bunch of races later I'm ready to reward myself.

Hi RiPHRaPH,

Does the stiff BB and down tube area make the bike uncomfortable over 100+ kms? How about over sketchier road conditions? I was considering the Vortex but one of the Cat2 guys in the club had one and told me it was an @ss hatchet.

i'll tell you, maybe it is the fit, but my 59cm is damn comfortable. i came from custom steel, and can see where it would be a bit more harsh on longer distances, but with the EC90 seatpost and fizik aliante saddle i run, i find my sensitive back giving me no problems. and these roads here have seen better days. my fast club rides are between 50 and 70 miles, and i am yet to do a century on it yet, but i exclaim every week 'i love this bike' and can't wait to climb on it each and every ride.

the integrated ouzo pro, with carbon steerer makes it nice too. the d/a crankset is stiff and responsive as is the BB area (6/4 Ti) >> i saved some $$, going with ritchey pro stem and ritchey WCS bars. overall, it is a bit more harsh than my Steelman was, but i can run vredstein forezza's, with 145 psi max, to 130-135 psi to make it even smoother.

in short, i'll gladly take a bit more harshness in the front end (might a different fork be better?) for the lightening turning radius and quickness i feel every time out. is it the perfect bike? no. but from where i sit, but i've yet to find a quicker bike. i am sitting right over the engine, and it is quick when you jump up and need to hammer.

my bike runs 17.8 lbs.

on my ride this AM i was thinking how there isn't another bike i'd want (need) to ride other than this one. That makes it a great bike for me. I'm still loving it.

Last edited by RiPHRaPH; 06-14-05 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-14-05, 08:25 AM

No, I haven't. I don't even own a Litespeed... yet.

I do know someone who developed a crack in his BB after several years of riding, but because his dealer closed down, could not avail of his warranty.

Ouch! That stinks. So, Lifetime warranty= Lifetime of the place where you got your bike.
Old 06-14-05, 08:49 AM
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
umm... if he has his original receipt, there should be no problem. he only needs to bring the bike to another litespeed dealer. the warranty relationship is with the manufacturer, and not the dealer.

having said all this, he could ALSO send the bike back to litespeed and have the BB replaced at his own cost, which would be a few hundred dollars. much less than a new bike.

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002
Old 06-14-05, 09:31 AM

Bikes: Litespeed, Medici, Gary Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velocipedio
umm... if he has his original receipt, there should be no problem. he only needs to bring the bike to another litespeed dealer. the warranty relationship is with the manufacturer, and not the dealer.
Yes, and Litespeed should have him on file ... along with the SN of his frame.
Old 06-14-05, 11:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I can't wait to have one.

i'll tell you, maybe it is the fit, but my 59cm is damn comfortable. i came from custom steel, and can see where it would be a bit more harsh on longer distances, but with the EC90 seatpost and fizik aliante saddle i run, i find my sensitive back giving me no problems. and these roads here have seen better days. my fast club rides are between 50 and 70 miles, and i am yet to do a century on it yet, but i exclaim every week 'i love this bike' and can't wait to climb on it each and every ride.

the integrated ouzo pro, with carbon steerer makes it nice too. the d/a crankset is stiff and responsive as is the BB area (6/4 Ti) >> i saved some $$, going with ritchey pro stem and ritchey WCS bars. overall, it is a bit more harsh than my Steelman was, but i can run vredstein forezza's, with 145 psi max, to 130-135 psi to make it even smoother.

in short, i'll gladly take a bit more harshness in the front end (might a different fork be better?) for the lightening turning radius and quickness i feel every time out. is it the perfect bike? no. but from where i sit, but i've yet to find a quicker bike. i am sitting right over the engine, and it is quick when you jump up and need to hammer.

my bike runs 17.8 lbs.

on my ride this AM i was thinking how there isn't another bike i'd want (need) to ride other than this one. That makes it a great bike for me. I'm still loving it.
Old 06-14-05, 11:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velocipedio

having said all this, he could ALSO send the bike back to litespeed and have the BB replaced at his own cost, which would be a few hundred dollars. much less than a new bike.
Originally Posted by CycleFreakLS
Yes, and Litespeed should have him on file ... along with the SN of his frame.
As I understand it, for some reason he was not on file. Despite this, he still purchased a Litespeed for his next bike.
Old 06-14-05, 01:52 PM
Trigger

Bikes: Yeti SB95C, Titus X, Litespeed Siena, Electra Ticino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll chime in...

I've got an 03 Siena, size ML (56cm). This frame is made of 3/2 TI not the 6/4 that the Ultimate is made of. The Siena also has the carbon seat stays. I have not had any problems with flex and the bike doesn't produce any pain on rides over 100mi. It's super comfy. Take it for what it's worth. . . The damn thing is a rocket ship and it rules. No problems with the integrated headset thus far. Good luck with selecting your new rig.
Old 06-14-05, 04:28 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate; KHS Flite 800; Jamis Quest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am the owner of an 02 Litespeed Ultimate. Starting in 2002 the ultimate also came with a carbon seatstay. I have never ridden a bike with a nicer or more comfortable ride and I am speaking of a half dozen centuries and many metric centuries. It is also a stiff, short wheel based sprinter's bike. In short, a very fine bike for many venues of bicycle performance. Since I am 66 years old I think this bike will out last me but if it doesnt I will buy another just like it.

J
Old 06-19-05, 05:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1998 Litespeed Ultimate and love it. It's a great ride. 55cm and 17.2 pounds.
Old 06-19-05, 07:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone for responding. I'm sold. I ordered one today,it should be here in a week.
Old 09-20-06, 06:16 PM

Bikes: Naked Custom, Marinoni Special, Specialized Team Issue Acqua Sappone, Iglehart Super Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd post pics of my 1994 Ultimate. It rocks.

Cheers

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.