Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What kind of shoes (and other clothes) are you wearing on your hybrid?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

What kind of shoes (and other clothes) are you wearing on your hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 08:06 AM

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
Now that it's heading into fall and cooler days I will switch from my shorts to these: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5033-250/Adanac-Tights
It says they're "tights" but they are just long cycling pants that are fairly water repellent, quite stretchy and just plain practical on cooler days. Now I will also wear an additional layer on top of my jerseys, a long sleeved water repellent and breathable high vis shell - I don't ride much in the rain but as soon as things dry out I'm out there.
Old 09-06-16, 12:13 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon, Dahon Vitesse P18

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Warm weather:

- dryfit champion or nike t-shirt, canari $25 cycling shorts, clear goggles, nike crossfit sneakers

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Mens...t+short+sleeve

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...ke-shorts-mens

bobster.com - Raptor II Interchangeable, Black Frame, 3 Lenses

===========================

Cold weather:

- dryfit champion long sleeve, light athletic jacket, adidas track pants, velcro straps (to tie down around ankles of pants)

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-CW26...it+long+sleeve

https://www.amazon.com/adidas-Athlet...as+track+pants

https://www.amazon.com/North-Face-61...The+North+Face

Alot of these items are cross-worn with other sports, like hockey. Really cold weather and I add gloves and a balaclava.

Last edited by prtyich; 09-06-16 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-06-16, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I wear Gym Shorts with some Compression Lycra shorts under them. I wear a Jersey because I love the ease of having back pockets for my phone, money, my ear buds, and whatever else I may use.

I never leave home without my helmet
Old 09-07-16, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bike with whatever shorts I pull outa the drawer, in other words, everyday street clothes and shoes. My rides are a very hard 5-10 mile early morning.
I have no use for the bike only clothes, that's just the way I roll...
Old 09-07-16, 04:01 PM

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
No one seems to mention gloves? I use light leather gloves because I hate gravel rash and need my hands for work. Sore hands = no income for me.
Old 09-07-16, 04:06 PM

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
...definitely gloves, here in Canada's "banana belt" I can get away with fingerless all year long, but they are certainly a necessity for my hands. Mine have a bit of padding to prevent irritating the carpal tunnel area of my hands...
Old 09-07-16, 04:52 PM

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Summer - usually mt bike shorts with liner, jersey, always gloves and helmet. Finally went clipless. Used to wear mt bike shoes without the clips and have dual purpose pedals.

As weather cools more layers, worst winter weather full artic gear.

Also been known to ride in a cold rain wearing rain slicker and Frogg Togg shorts over a liner. Warm rain - just get wet.
Old 09-07-16, 06:22 PM

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
lately just been riding in running shoes, cotton cargo shorts and a blended t-shirt wearing boxer briefs. all that's needed.
Old 09-07-16, 11:27 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
short/short
Old 09-12-16, 10:12 PM
The Moose

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
As always, in response to 'clothing threads': wear what you like.

Me? Cycling-specific stuff, all seasons as appropriate. Jerseys, shorts, tights, jackets + cycling shoes w/clipless pedals. I can't stand riding wearing anything else -- especially anything with cotton in it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Don't really care what people think. I wear it because it is comfortable and serves my needs. Baggy stuff flaps around too much for me. I had a string tie from a hoody slap me in the eye when I was riding my wifes motorbike. It wasn't very pleasant. Nothing baggy since then. And glasses.
Old 09-15-16, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Jamis Yoda Sport (2011 model) ; Stinsmen Veloce (on a wind trainer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
old-die hard

I'm not ready to surrender to 'hybrid' clothing yet, even though I've given up my road bike. Still the same type of jersey, padded shorts, etc. They are what I'm used to, they are designed specifically for the task, and inspire me to try to seem stronger and faster than I actually am. In this town (Seattle) cyclists are numerous enough not to stand out (unfortunately, sometimes) no matter what they wear.

I am not one of the pro-rider wannabees in their sponsor jerseys, advertising-laden vermilion shorts and clown-colored shoes that I see struggling up moderate hills. Conservative, but hi-viz for me. All black shoes and white socks--right out of a 1960s peloton.

To the OP: Your shoes are "a perfect match to the color scheme on my bike"--show us a pix. Is your bike black and red on the left side and white and red on the other?
Old 09-15-16, 01:46 PM

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My big "no way" are shoes with laces. Had a lace come untied and get into the chainring one too many times.
Old 09-23-16, 09:44 AM

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Padded mtn bike shorts made by Aero Tech Designs (nice), a t-shirt, and Merrell Chameleon shoes.

I want to try Shimano SPD pedals someday. That'll mean new shoes.
Old 09-23-16, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm not very fashionable. I wear Bontrager padded shorts hidden under gym shorts, a breathable sports shirt I bought from Wal Mart, and some Shimano RT82 SPD shoes that clip into my Nashbar pedals. At least the shoes are nice.
Old 09-23-16, 09:06 PM

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by batcat
To the OP: Your shoes are "a perfect match to the color scheme on my bike"--show us a pix. Is your bike black and red on the left side and white and red on the other?
just about!

Old 09-25-16, 11:26 PM

Bikes: Jamis Yoda Sport (2011 model) ; Stinsmen Veloce (on a wind trainer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice! Fast looking color. Good to see a bike that's not "stealth black with matching tires"
Old 09-25-16, 11:38 PM

Bikes: Cavalo Corsa Ultegra Road Bike, Diamondback Insight 1, Nashbar Flat bar road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So far I've found basket ball shorts (no underwear), hiking boots/shoes and using steel pedals works fine for me but I'm only doing 20 to 30 mile rides.

Old 09-26-16, 02:18 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Because I prefer to wear regular shoes, platform pedals work best for me. I've ridden a set a no-name nylon platforms on my Globe Carmel for a year and like 'em for all but wet muddy days -- the pedals weren't quite grippy enough on messy rides.

After riding a new-to-me 1992 Univega Via Carisma for a month I wanted something to replace the original Sakae Low Fat plastic pedals, a standard rat trap style that wasn't comfortable with my usual walking shoes. I prefer to ride with the ball of my foot ahead of the pedal axle, and could feel the Sakae pedal teeth digging into my foot. And there was some arch strain.

I switched to Stolen Thermalite pedals a couple of days ago and went for a 30 mile hilly ride. They seem perfect for my preferences. The Thermalites have a sandpaper like texture along with molded in nibs (another version has replaceable steel pins) and hold securely. And the large flat surface supports the arch so there's no foot pain after a long ride.

No idea yet about long term reliability but these seem like good pedals for conventional footwear, especially if you prefer plastic pedals. I've scraped pedals several times on gravel roads and tight turns while pedaling on pavement, and prefer pedals that wear down rather than pole vaulting me off the bike.
Old 09-26-16, 02:48 PM

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by batcat
Very nice! Fast looking color. Good to see a bike that's not "stealth black with matching tires"
Thanks! It's definitely a looker, a nice change from all the matte CF bikes (which are still great looking bikes, don't get me wrong).
Old 10-25-16, 05:40 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
stiff Sketchers walking shoes. brown leather. they are perfect but a little heavy. would love to get a deal on some legit mountain bike shoes. I use miniclips (no cleats for me)
Old 10-28-16, 08:43 AM

Bikes: Dahon Speed P16 (Upgraded P8)/ 2014 Dahon Vybe c7a / 2015 Trek 7.2fx / 26" Schwinn Ranger

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whenever I go on longer commutes I tend to be on my padded cycling underwear, cycling specific short-sleeved jersey top, goretex hardshell jacket, a really thin bubble jacket underneath the goretex, full-fingered padded gloves, baclava mask, tifosi fotomatic glasses, and lastly vans slip-on skate shoes (laces getting caught in the drivetrain scares me), i also tuck my pants into my socks when i'm on my work attire.
Old 10-28-16, 08:49 AM

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by saint mucus
So far I've found basket ball shorts (no underwear), hiking boots/shoes and using steel pedals works fine for me but I'm only doing 20 to 30 mile rides.

Hey Mucus, would you mind zooming in on your handlebar setup and share your thoughts/experience about it? What bar ends are those? I'm considering something similar, but I would probably point the bar ends more forward to stretch out more.

PS. sorry for the off-topic.
Old 11-04-16, 02:38 PM
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cargo shorts, padded cycling underwear, sometimes a tee shirt, sometimes a cycling jersey, padded gloves, low rise athletic socks, SPD shoes, and a helmet. I'm thinking about ditching the SPDs and going with platforms but no decision on that yet. If I did that I might get Five Ten shoes or maybe just a random pair of Nikes. I have a rain jacket and in cooler weather I would add a layer or two.
Old 12-23-16, 11:58 PM

Bikes: Raleigh USA Technium Olympian, Kona Hahanna single-speed, FUJI Espree Three Speed Fixie, Trek 720 hybrid/bike of burden, Trek 1200 ZX 'Superleggera' project, Trek 400 fixie, Cove G-Spot double-boinger. .

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
What I wear normally, just scuzzier (and no tie-dye). ..
Old 12-24-16, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars low cut Black monochrome , or slippahs ,
Aloha shirt or Dickies short sleeve work shirt ,or Patagonia silk weight top , short or long sleeve ,
Patagonia GI III shorts , or Dolphin jammers .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.