Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wife rant

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-23, 01:13 PM
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
This is my typical jogging attire:

I kid, of course. I wear a different belt, and my hat is not that color.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-27-23, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4282 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Here's the trouble. She expects me to look the part.
How often are you doing this? Living together requires compromises. This seems like a fairly easy one to make.

Depends on the situation. In some areas she allows me a lot of freedom. In other things, she's pretty insistent that I/we do things her way.

But marriages are all about give and take. I could dress as I wish and tell her, "Too bad, I'm wearing this whether you like it or not." To that, she might say, "Then you can ride without me." Or she might still go along but not be in a good mood. So what have I gained? Or what is more important--that I dress as I prefer, or I get to ride with my sweetheart?
Pick your battles carefully.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-27-23 at 01:17 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-27-23, 01:21 PM
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
What about a tandem? Then you can ride as hard as you like.
Old 07-27-23, 01:25 PM
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Pick your battles carefully.
Yep. This one is not a hill worth dying on.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-27-23, 01:26 PM
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by storckm
What about a tandem? Then you can ride as hard as you like.
I've thought about getting one. Maybe someday.
Old 07-27-23, 01:30 PM
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 507 Posts
Just wait until you get home and she’s got a Batman costume for you and she’s dressed up as catwoman.
Old 07-27-23, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4282 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 956 Posts
I've thought about getting one. Maybe someday.
My wife (who does centuries) wasn't a fan even though she was a very good stoker. The person in the back gives up a lot of control and has to trust and work with the person in the front (the instinctual approach is to maintain one's own balance, which works against things working well).

You should see if there's a local tandem team that will let you borrow a bike. It's a cult. So, they are always looking for new recruits.

We have a fair number of tandems in our bike club.
Old 07-27-23, 01:40 PM
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Just wait until you get home and she’s got a Batman costume for you and she’s dressed up as catwoman.
Bedroom fantasies/fetishes are a topic for another forum.

Last edited by Broctoon; 07-27-23 at 01:47 PM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-27-23, 01:44 PM
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by drlogik
What is her real motive for riding with you?
They're manifold. She likes to keep fit, as do I. We like spending time together. We both like being outside. She feels safer with me than riding alone. And others...
Old 07-27-23, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 250 Posts
My wife's cycling level is similar to that of your wife. N (my wife) learned to ride a bike as an adult, she is not confident riding in traffic and her control/balance can be affected if her confidence gets shaken (cars passing, rough pavement, etc.).

We got a tandem so we could ride together and, other than a few trainer sessions, she hasn't touched her bike since. Tandems are not a panacea for all couples of unequal cycling abilities, since it does require some give and take. For example, the stoker gives up all direct control of speed, direction, route, etc. Not all people enjoy that (and: no, IMO compatibility on a tandem - or lack thereof - doesn't say ANYTHING about the compatibility of the couple regarding anything other than riding a tandem).

Since we are doing fairly strenuous rides (up to 3 hours), it make sense to ride cycling clothing, so for us the issue hasn't come up. I can't imagine, though, that it would bother me that much to gear up for a ride around the block if that increased my wife's enjoyment of cycling. Staying a couple means compromise. Of course we all have limits, I just don't see that as a hill I'd choose to die on.
Old 07-27-23, 02:00 PM

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 102 Posts
Solution - get her an eBike, then her riding abilities will be much closer to yours. Hills will no longer be an issue.
Old 07-27-23, 02:02 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5030 Post(s)
Liked 8,229 Times in 3,889 Posts
This is me during a recent century ride:

...and zip lining in Slovenia a few years ago:

Quite often, my preferred biking attire is more similar to the second picture. I've been told I don't look like a serious cyclist unless I'm dressed like the first one. I don't let it make me angry. I just found the situation interesting enough to bring up for discussion.
I can tell that you're not a serious cyclist because of how short your socks are. Serious cyclists wear socks with a minimum 6" tall cuff.
Old 07-27-23, 02:30 PM
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Solution - get her an eBike, then her riding abilities will be much closer to yours. Hills will no longer be an issue.
I built her an e-bike so she could continue to ride a little while recovering from cancer. It was one of the best things we ever did.

Call her average speed on the non-ebike a "1" and on the e-bike a "10." On that scale, my average speed (or speed I can comfortably maintain) is between 3 and 8, depending on which of my several bikes I choose. It made for some interesting situations. I used to reach for one of my slower bikes whenever she was joining me--a fixed gear or single speed, usually. I still found I wanted to go a bit faster than she could handle, but we were at least somewhat closely matched. Then she got the e-bike and would always say "You need to ride your fastest bike. Don't bring that fixie. You won't be able to keep up with me." I kept muttering things like "How the turntables have, um, turned." Or, "So this is what they mean by creating a monster." But it was still kind of complicated, as the e-bike's range is limited to 25 or 30 miles. So she could walk away from me, but only for an hour or so, after which we had better be close to home.

The story of our life together has always involved bikes, and involved give and take. More than once she has sacrificed an entire Saturday to drive the sag vehicle when a friend and I wanted to do a long race. I spend considerable time and money customizing and maintaining her bikes--as well as my own. We've tried to get our teenage son to ride with us, but he's not interested. Lately, we've been taking our young grandson along, in a trailer. That's really fun for everyone involved, and it serves as an equalizer. When I'm pulling the trailer, she's usually able to keep up with me (On flats and climbs, that is. No way she's going to keep up on a descent!) If she's on her e-bike and pulling the trailer, I can keep up with her. Occasionally I'll get stranded somewhere and have to call her for a pickup. On more than one occasion, we rode somewhere for breakfast and then she didn't feel up to riding back home, so I rode home and got the car, then returned for her.

I think the takeaway is that we don't have to be of similar ability to enjoy riding together, but we have to be willing to compromise.

Last edited by Broctoon; 07-27-23 at 02:40 PM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-27-23, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 981 Posts
How about MTB clothing? There are some high end MTB clothing brands like Kitsbow which are 'serious looking' and expensive. Your wife is not going to be embarrassed to be seen with you.
Old 07-27-23, 02:45 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
Not sure why OP brought this up since he doesn't seem to want to hear opposing opinions .... but whatever.

I am in the "Tech-T Shirt--Biking Shorts" stable I guess .... for other people ..... The gear you wore on that century don't look particularly bike-y ... no team or sponsor names, nothing garish, just International Don't Eat Me I Am a Toxic Animal orange top, and generic riding shorts.

I keep restraining myself from making the remarks I really want to make because I do not know you or your wife and some folks are sensitive.

Ride On, Batman.
Old 07-27-23, 02:48 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I built her an e-bike so she could continue to ride a little while recovering from cancer. It was one of the best things we ever did.

Call her average speed on the non-ebike a "1" and on the e-bike a "10." On that scale, my average speed (or speed I can comfortably maintain) is between 3 and 8, depending on which of my several bikes I choose. It made for some interesting situations. I used to reach for one of my slower bikes whenever she was joining me--a fixed gear or single speed, usually. I still found I wanted to go a bit faster than she could handle, but we were at least somewhat closely matched. Then she got the e-bike and would always say "You need to ride your fastest bike. Don't bring that fixie. You won't be able to keep up with me." I kept muttering things like "How the turntables have, um, turned." Or, "So this is what they mean by creating a monster." But it was still kind of complicated, as the e-bike's range is limited to 25 or 30 miles. So she could walk away from me, but only for an hour or so, after which we had better be close to home.

The story of our life together has always involved bikes, and involved give and take. More than once she has sacrificed an entire Saturday to drive the sag vehicle when a friend and I wanted to do a long race. I spend considerable time and money customizing and maintaining her bikes--as well as my own. We've tried to get our teenage son to ride with us, but he's not interested. Lately, we've been taking our young grandson along, in a trailer. That's really fun for everyone involved, and it serves as an equalizer. When I'm pulling the trailer, she's usually able to keep up with me (On flats and climbs, that is. No way she's going to keep up on a descent!) If she's on her e-bike and pulling the trailer, I can keep up with her. Occasionally I'll get stranded somewhere and have to call her for a pickup. On more than one occasion, we rode somewhere for breakfast and then she didn't feel up to riding back home, so I rode home and got the car, then returned for her.

I think the takeaway is that we don't have to be of similar ability to enjoy riding together, but we have to be willing to compromise.
Sounds to me like you're doing it right, and you've got a good one to do it with.
Old 07-27-23, 02:51 PM
I like cats.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Not the reply the subforum needed, but the one we deserve.
Likes For ericoseveins:
Old 07-27-23, 02:53 PM
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I am in the "Tech-T Shirt--Biking Shorts" stable I guess .... for other people ..... The gear you wore on that century don't look particularly bike-y ... no team or sponsor names, nothing garish, just International Don't Eat Me I Am a Toxic Animal orange top, and generic riding shorts.
Don't be this dork with a bike that coordinates with his team kit.
Old 07-27-23, 02:55 PM
Super-duper Genius

Not sure why OP brought this up since he doesn't seem to want to hear opposing opinions .... but whatever.

Opinions, suggestions, criticism... I'm open to all of it. I just brought it up because I thought it might make for an interesting discussion.

The gear you wore on that century don't look particularly bike-y ... no team or sponsor names, nothing garish, just International Don't Eat Me I Am a Toxic Animal orange top, and generic riding shorts.

Yeah, that's my preference. I have some jerseys with wild graphics and sponsor names, but I don't usually pick them. The one in this picture is a Rapha jersey with really nice features and great quality, just not flashy--other than being a bright color, because nobody wants to get run over.

I keep restraining myself from making the remarks I really want to make because I do not know you or your wife and some folks are sensitive.
Fire away! I've got pretty thick skin, and I do not hold grudges over comments made by strangers on the internet.
Old 07-27-23, 03:08 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
Fire away! I've got pretty thick skin, and I do not hold grudges over comments made by strangers on the internet.
Yeah ... just to be different, I am trying to cultivate a general respectfulness towards strangers (at least until I know whether they are armed.) And there is no need to demean your wife (and that is a great straight line but .... )

Anyway, you seem to have lucked out in the wife department.
Old 07-27-23, 03:16 PM
Super-duper Genius

Yeah ... just to be different, I am trying to cultivate a general respectfulness towards strangers

Civility and respect? Might as well march to your own beat, amiright? It takes all kinds.

Anyway, you seem to have lucked out in the wife department.
Thanks. Yeah, she's a good one. Just a little weird about some things... like worrying too much what others might think.
Old 07-27-23, 03:20 PM
Habitual User

Thanks. Yeah, she's a good one. Just a little weird about some things... like worrying too much what others might think.

I've got one of those, too.

When I was a young man, an old experienced guy imparted some wisdom upon me..."All women are crazy. Find the kind of crazy you can live with."
Old 07-27-23, 03:21 PM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,015 Times in 1,936 Posts
Depends on the situation. In some areas she allows me a lot of freedom. In other things, she's pretty insistent that I/we do things her way.

But marriages are all about give and take. I could dress as I wish and tell her, "Too bad, I'm wearing this whether you like it or not." To that, she might say, "Then you can ride without me." Or she might still go along but not be in a good mood. So what have I gained? Or what is more important--that I dress as I prefer, or I get to ride with my sweetheart?
tell her you can buy yourself your own flowers.
Old 07-27-23, 03:39 PM
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by Eric F
"All women are crazy. Find the kind of crazy you can live with."
With this comment, you're today's winner.

Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-27-23, 04:01 PM
Habitual User

With this comment, you're today's winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pInk1rV2VEg
Except for that last part, my experiences confirm the validity of that chart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.