Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do people use rearview mirrors?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do people use rearview mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-17, 10:57 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Raleigh Venture 4.0, Ross Gran Tour II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You mean:

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Some people can't turn head around without loosing control of bike...because their body is not supple enough or don't have good balance coordination.
Or have crashed and broken several collarbones.
Old 10-18-17, 07:17 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Is that bag almost rubbing the tire? How do you like it? Is it too wide? Make it difficult to mount and dismount?
No, it's not almost rubbing the tire.
I love that bag! It's my favourite of the collection of Carradice bags I have.
No, it is not too wide, it is the mid-sized Carradice.
No, it does not make it difficult to mount and dismount ... it doesn't even factor into mounting or dismounting.

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I have the bit smaller Carradice (no side pockets). Mine did indeed rub on the tire occasionally (I don't have the rack support like hers seems to have) until I put on fenders. I "fixed" it in the interim by just keeping a small bungee cord on it, holding it up some.

Every once in a while I get a bit of brushing on the back of my thighs, but all in all I really like mine. Holds a lot and is fairly weatherproof.
I've got one of the Bagman Supports as my "rack".

https://www.carradice.co.uk/products...fixing-systems
Old 10-18-17, 08:06 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I've got one of the Bagman Supports as my "rack".

https://www.carradice.co.uk/products...fixing-systems
Yep, that is what I though!

How do you like that? I like my bag, but I've only got one saddle with the bag loops, and to be honest they aren't the quickest things to use. I've been thinking about getting the support system, both so I can use it on multiple bikes and so I can take it on/off easier.
Old 10-20-17, 03:07 PM

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I got a mirror when I started out cycling to keep track of how far my wife was falling behind

I won't ride without it, I get anxious not knowing what's behind or how close a car is going to pass. Even on the bike trail there are people who will silently ride up fast, draft behind for a second, then decide to double-pass without announcing.

It's not fear, it's situational awareness. Just like driving defensively, try to have an escape plan.

Originally Posted by Scarbo
There is having a mirror and using a mirror, I find.

A few weeks ago I passed this guy who was sporting one of these little mirrors. I didn't say "On your left!" (I never do; I just pass as expeditiously and carefully as I can). The fella took me to task and, with a very petulant voice said, "Thank you. Thank you very much for saying 'On your left.'" I ignored him and went on my way. I guess I thought that that is what those little mirrors were for; so that when he saw me coming he would just gracefully move aside to let me pass. Is this an unreasonable expectation?
I think it's unreasonable to expect someone to just know you're there. Do you expect drivers to know you're there and to move aside? I don't look in the mirror every 5 seconds so if you silently come out of nowhere I won't know. I also find it unreasonable that you expected someone to move aside. Now, as for the fella taking you to task, the question is - did you pass safely, or not? If yes, then he was unreasonable in saying anything.
Old 10-20-17, 03:24 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
I think using a mirror is smart. I see mirror usage increasing rapidly in New York City, and I take it as a good sign. This comes along with increasing usage of lights and bells on bikes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-21-17, 05:35 AM

Bikes: 2016 Cannonade Synapse Carbon Ultegra 3, 2019 Fuji Touring, Dahon Formula S18, Fuji Touring Series III (bought new in 1980's, all original components, many, many great, memorable rides), Kickbike Sport Max

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aside from the safety enhancement, I find it a pleasure to ride with my helmet-mounted mirror. It allows me freedom to avoid potholes, change lanes, take the lane, etc. with just a quick glance in it. So used to having it, I hate riding without one.

I will say this. If I'm in a club ride and you're riding in the middle of the road ahead of me and don't have a mirror, or have one and don't use it (always at least one such rider), don't expect me to yell car back. Did it consistently for the first year of club riding and then decided no more. First of all, 99% of the time there's no good reason for you to be riding in the middle of the road, secondly, at least half the time people ignore the warning, and thirdly, if you like to ride in the middle of the road, fine, but get yourself a mirror and use it. I'm not your mirror.

Last edited by Jerrys88; 10-21-17 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-21-17, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally decided on a helmet mirror. Hated it at first, but I won't ride without it now. If my life is on the line, I do look back before making a move.
Old 10-21-17, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those who don't understand the need to count cars, what if you have a lot of cars behind you? I think it very important to count (example) six cars so when #1-5 pass and #6 is not on my left, I can reasonably assume getting in the right turn lane is a very bad idea, I should scoot over to the left if I'm not already 3 feet from the right line and I should slow down so if car #5 decides to change lanes to be in front of me, I won't be hit by debris when the car illegally passing me on the right using the turn only lane collides with him.
Old 10-21-17, 03:02 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
In my experience, cars drive one behind the other so that once you get past the first car or two, it's hard to get an accurate count. So I focus on holding my line and if I need to come off my line, I'll check over my shoulder.
Old 10-21-17, 04:47 PM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
for those who don't understand the need to count cars, what if you have a lot of cars behind you? I think it very important to count (example) six cars so when #1-5 pass and #6 is not on my left, i can reasonably assume getting in the right turn lane is a very bad idea, i should scoot over to the left if i'm not already 3 feet from the right line and i should slow down so if car #5 decides to change lanes to be in front of me, i won't be hit by debris when the car illegally passing me on the right using the turn only lane collides with him.
+1
Old 10-21-17, 08:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those who don't understand the need to count cars, what if you have a lot of cars behind you?
What if there is a continuous line? In "leaf peeper" season here in VT often you can't see the end. Where do you stop? How many cars will you take the time to count? There must be an end. Or not.
Old 10-21-17, 08:25 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Maybe these mirrors give x-ray vision to see all the cars blocked by the first one in line.
Old 10-21-17, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
In my experience, cars drive one behind the other so that once you get past the first car or two, it's hard to get an accurate count. So I focus on holding my line and if I need to come off my line, I'll check over my shoulder.
It's actually easy to get a count, just as easy as when you are in a car. Roads are never perfectly straight, and cars don't line up perfectly. Between even slight curves or slight drops and cars shifting a bit in the lane, you can figure out what is behind you.
Old 10-21-17, 10:04 PM
In Real Life

For those who don't understand the need to count cars, what if you have a lot of cars behind you?
If I'm going straight, I don't care how many cars are behind me. I just worry about those who are behaving oddly or could be hazardous (i.e. oversized loads).

If I'm turning across traffic, and I determine that there are more than 2 or 3 cars, I stop, turn around and have a look.
Old 10-21-17, 10:06 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I prefer to keep my regrets in the rear view mirror, if I can.
Old 10-21-17, 10:07 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Yep, that is what I though!

How do you like that? I like my bag, but I've only got one saddle with the bag loops, and to be honest they aren't the quickest things to use. I've been thinking about getting the support system, both so I can use it on multiple bikes and so I can take it on/off easier.
It's all right, but I do use the loops on my saddle and I don't remove the rack. All my bicycles have some sort of rack and all have saddles with loops, so I just shift my bags between them.
Old 10-31-17, 03:43 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
With the terrorist attack on the bike path in NY today, there is your good reason to have a mirror, and use it.
Old 10-31-17, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you are a commuter you definetely need a rear view mirror.
Old 10-31-17, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by enes13mes
if you are a commuter you definetely need a rear view mirror.
I've commuted year round since 1999 and have never needed a mirror.
Old 10-31-17, 06:49 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I love my helmet mounted mirror. I couldn't ride without it. If you do a lot of riding in traffic it's indispensable. I have more confidence to ride out further from the curb as I can see what's behind me. Consequently I get a lot fewer close passes. I can get into a left turn lane more easily as I scan the traffic from behind.

If you're riding on trails all the time you probably don't need a mirror.
Yesterday, because of the hood of my rain jacket blocking it, I though I lost my helmet mounted mirror half way through my ride. Didn't like the feeling of not knowing what's happening behind me by a quick glance into that mirror. Boy was I relieved when I remove my helmet at destination and find the mirror was still attached to it
Old 10-31-17, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I tried once, but didn't get the hang of it- found it distracting,

but I like riding with folks that have them- they call out the cars, and known when you are pulling ahead.
Old 11-01-17, 06:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmac77
Do riders use these?
Getting back to the original, actual question, Yes, "People DO use [rearview] mirrors".

Not all people, and maybe some use sideview or forwardview.

But yes, there ARE riders who use [rearview] mirrors.

Does it matter if People do or don't? Then again, I'm a bit of a non-conformist. Not for the sake of it, but feel that form should follow function in all but hang-on-the-wall art.
Old 11-01-17, 07:02 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
I commute on the Hudson River Greenway which has lots of commuting cyclists. I'm seeing a lot of rearview mirrors lately, and since I have a Take-A-Look mirror, I'm noticing plenty of other people with the same mirror. I'm glad.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.