Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Just *****ing about Trek

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Just *****ing about Trek

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-20, 07:08 PM
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
I find this claim of a lack of information... odd. My Specialized Roubaix came with adequate information on torque values (probably most important), installation of Specialized components and adjustment, Shimano has detailed downloadable manuals for group sets, Park Tools has abundant videos and Zinn's Art of Road Bike Maintenance is in its 5th edition. It seems implausible a rider can not find information to support their own level of confidence in home bicycle repair and mechanic tasks.
Old 07-15-20, 07:19 PM

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
My wife and I bought new Treks, the first new bikes we've bought in years. They have all this new (to us) technology: Bluetooth, disc brakes, hydraulic braking systems, spindle (?) quick releases … So I thought that of course there would be instruction manuals.

Nope. Not hard copy. Not on line. So I called Trek and asked for a maintenance or repair manual.

They don't have one.
I hate it when that happens. Leaves you completely dangling.

One of the things that frosts many people (shop owners, mfrs, friends) about me is that I try to gather all that stuff prior to any purchase. (Generally only when I've whittled down the list to the two or three finalists.) Helps me investigate "holes" in the package, gets me details on the stuff that I'd want to know if I did purchase, etc.

A pain, but it's about the only way to save oneself from no-manual-crafted syndrome.
Old 07-19-20, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
behavior .
Oh, PUHLEASE lecture me about behavior.
Old 07-22-20, 01:41 PM

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Geezerdan
It's getting so many things no longer come with a manual. My new electric stove for example...gotta go on line to figure out how to set the timer. I wonder if the bike parts suppliers have schematics and instructions on line?
Yes most do. Especially Shimano.
This is so much better than in the pre-internet days where you got the paper bike manual only. I never had a separate Mafac brake manual, or a Suntour deraiilleur manual. I did get as nice paper Peugeot manual that included instructions for the Mafac tool kit. My old Fuji came with a paper manual.
Now I actually download the manuals before I even buy a part.

However if one is a buyer who seeks out the cheapest eBay or PRC sourced overstock or knockoff, there will probably not be a readable manual whether paper of downloadable..
Old 07-23-20, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
My wife and I bought new Treks, the first new bikes we've bought in years. They have all this new (to us) technology: Bluetooth, disc brakes, hydraulic braking systems, spindle (?) quick releases … So I thought that of course there would be instruction manuals.

Nope. Not hard copy. Not on line. So I called Trek and asked for a maintenance or repair manual.

They don't have one. I have to call each individual component manufacturer. WTF? That's the bright shining future I have survived into, where manufacturers' customer "support" consultants can just say, "We don't owe that to you, go call each of the the components manufacturers"? Don't get me wrong, I understand that they use whatever components are available, and can't predict where they will be from or what the best combinations will be as the market changes. But if wire disk brakes are wire disk brakes, and hydraulic disk brakes are hydraulic disk brakes, it's not their responsibility to me as their customer to make sure they get me some general information about how to adjust these damn things?

I'm really disgusted.
Bluetooth on a bike. Jesus Chri*t what has come to this industry. I have long-held, all of these "advancements" are a hindrance to riding, adds little in actual value, and ends-up causing more frustration than it is worth.
Old 07-24-20, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
Bluetooth on a bike. Jesus Chri*t what has come to this industry. I have long-held, all of these "advancements" are a hindrance to riding, adds little in actual value, and ends-up causing more frustration than it is worth.
I'm waiting for the first case of a road race involving bluetooth-shifted bikes being hacked, a sort of 21st-Century update to the scene in Breaking Away where the Italian rider pushes Dave's shifter to the small cog on a climb.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 07-30-20, 12:22 PM

I thought the Southern European rider (trying to be PC) put his pump in Dave's spokes.
Old 07-30-20, 12:38 PM

Bikes: Giant Explore E-2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk
That's my feeling about hydraulic disc brakes, or disc brakes in general.
Old 07-30-20, 01:05 PM

I thought the Southern European rider (trying to be PC) put his pump in Dave's spokes.
That was the second volley. FIrst time, one of the euro-fellas reaches over and pushes his shifter. He manages to slog up the hill and eventually catch up, at which time one of the euro-fellas does the front wheel spoke pump endo maneuver.

BTW, Next scene was one of the most poigniant scenes wrt fatherhood, coming of age, etc. in "recent" memory. Dave is sitting on his bed, feeling his wounds, emotionally-distant father is standing over him, not knowing what to say. Dave says "They cheated, papa. I didn't know". Father pauses, replies "Well, now you know."
Old 07-30-20, 03:18 PM

One of my favorite movies. And that fatherhood scene is tremendous. In fact, I'd say that the father is the best actor in the movie. The closing scene is brilliant acting, directing, editing.
Old 07-30-20, 03:25 PM

One of my favorite movies. And that fatherhood scene is tremendous. In fact, I'd say that the father is the best actor in the movie. The closing scene is brilliant acting, directing, editing.
Paul Dooley, one of the B-list greats, a la Bruce McGill, Ronny Cox, etc.

Looky that, I managed to help you derail your own thread.....
Old 07-31-20, 09:08 AM

No, Madpogue, you just managed to distract me momentarily from my *****ing about Trek. For which I'm sure everyone thanks you.

Which, by the way, has just gotten more intense, since I found out that the "Bluetooth cycling computer" they sold me that they claim integrates with cycling aps DOES NOT DO ANY SUCH THING with any ap that I can find, except one that rates a miserable 3 stars with many complaints. Particularly not the one they told me it integrates with (Strava).

I'm going to start warning people not to buy Trek.