Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone try one of these mini electric pumps?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone try one of these mini electric pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-23, 07:29 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 3,049 Times in 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Wouldn't you say the same thing about the one guy that brought a good frame pump?

If you get a flat, inflating the tire is not the time-consuming part anyway. Whether it takes 30 seconds with an electric gadget, or 3 minutes with a pump, seems irrelevant to me.
Sure, but nobody in my regular group carries a good-sized frame pump. CO2 and the one hero with the gadget. Some carry very small frame pumps, and those can be a PITA.

It just might be that what is irrelevant to you is relevant to me. That's allowed.

My real point was that a slightly larger electric pump works great, with a gauge.

BTW, the weight difference between one of these electric units and a larger frame pump is quite small.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-23-23, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
I use this one mostly at home, or when I ride my mountain bike. I don't use it when I'm on my road bike or hybrid bike because my seat bags are too small for it. It has a shut off setpoint. It has a flashlight function if needed at night. If left on, it shuts itself off after 3 minutes. If it were to ever breakdown I'd buy another one.

Old 10-23-23, 02:52 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
First saw one of those on a group ride this summer. It was a Fumpa. Seemed like a cool idea, especially if you're not into contributing to the environmental issues of CO2 cartridges...but it also seemed to be really loud, slow, and bulky. So I don't see it as being significantly more valuable than a good frame-mounted pump.
Metal cartridges can be recycled effectively, unlike 95% of the recyclable plastic from single use containers that ends up either in an incinerator or in a landfill. When the electric pump fails as it will in time it will end up in a landfill.