Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which foot do you unclip when stopping?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: When stopping, which foot do you unclip?
Right
44.04%
Left
42.20%
No preference / whatever suits the situation
13.76%
I don't, I do track stands
0%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Which foot do you unclip when stopping?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-23, 01:00 PM

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 332 Posts
I put down the foot on the opposite side of my turn. The toe clips on my commuter will drag on the pavement in a turn if I haven’t yet flipped them up.

I drop the right foot if going straight.
Old 09-04-23, 01:06 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10516 Post(s)
Liked 12,072 Times in 6,182 Posts
Unclip on the right. That's where the curbs are. Plus, just as I'm right handed, and my left hand is a barely usable club with fingers, so I am right footed.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-04-23, 01:56 PM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Left foot first. If I am on just one leg for any period of time coasting slowly to a light, it had better be my good leg. The left knee is questionable at best and can't start off the line worth a darn.
Old 09-04-23, 02:13 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 457 Posts
at first, thought this was a silly question, then thinking about it, things go on 'auto' for me, and always dependz....
if there's a curb available, I look for a clean area and unclip right
if no curb, most roads/streets have a crown dropping towards gutter, so unclip left, just easier.closer reach.
If at a stop sign or I expect the light to turn green in a few secs, track stand
if unexpected and sudden stop, and have possible wheel overlap, unclip same side as rider in front of me.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 09-04-23, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think I release the left foot. The right is ready to restart
Old 09-04-23, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 397 Posts
Left (non dominant).
Old 09-04-23, 03:30 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I kick a ball with my left food and I am more stable standing on the right foot than standing on the left foot in terms of balance.
Old 09-04-23, 05:41 PM
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 465 Posts
From the toe-strap days, loosen the RH strap, because you braking with the left hand. My left side is stronger these days, so I still un-clip the right foot, and start off with the left.
Old 09-04-23, 06:02 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 1,402 Posts
I always unclip the foot away from traffic. Sometimes there's a curb on that side, and I don't want my traffic-side foot run over by a driver who comes too close. I know a woman that happened to.
Old 09-04-23, 06:06 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,095 Posts
Voted left, because that's what I do, not because I have a reason. I assume dominance. Others have mentioned curbs, which I do occasionally utilize to remain in the saddle (!) while at a light. In that case, right given I'm in North America.

On my 'bent, if I'm going to dismount, I'll unclip both simultaneously. I'm told it's a rather dramatic look from behind, as both feet fly out. Otherwise left.
Old 09-04-23, 06:40 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2645 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,990 Posts
What’s a curb?

Old 09-04-23, 09:15 PM

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
What’s a curb?
It’s like a curve except entirely different.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 09-04-23, 09:18 PM
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by flangehead
It’s like a curve except entirely different.
Hillarious!

Old 09-04-23, 09:50 PM
Grupetto Bob

Somewhat related. Took off from a light with another guy (no curbs involved) and we both had clipless clipin pedals. The poor guy was really struggling to clip when we crossed the intersection where a 7% climb started. He was still trying as I was able to head up. No matter how many times I clip, there just are times where the automatic clipping isn’t that automatic.

Can’t imagine the disadvantage if that happened at a crit start.

Old 09-04-23, 11:25 PM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked 1,228 Times in 704 Posts
Somewhat related. Took off from a light with another guy (no curbs involved) and we both had clipless clipin pedals. The poor guy was really struggling to clip when we crossed the intersection where a 7% climb started. He was still trying as I was able to head up. No matter how many times I clip, there just are times where the automatic clipping isn’t that automatic.

I have noticed that my accuracy clipping in just isn't what it used to be. Trying to convince myself it's because the SPD-SL pedals are lighter and more spin happy than the Look Delta ones, but it's probably just age. Not a big deal since I also don't race anymore, but a month ago my foot slipped and made the peal spin back and hit my shin.
Old 09-04-23, 11:40 PM

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I mostly go left foot wearing clipless and right foot using regular pedals. I’m weird.
Old 09-05-23, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I have noticed that my accuracy clipping in just isn't what it used to be. Trying to convince myself it's because the SPD-SL pedals are lighter and more spin happy than the Look Delta ones, but it's probably just age. Not a big deal since I also don't race anymore, but a month ago my foot slipped and made the peal spin back and hit my shin.
I switched from SPD-SL to Wahoo Speedplays. Clipping in is almost automatic. Some have said they can't unclip easily. Usually because they haven't lubricated the retention springs in the cleat. I just use a shot of Lemon Pledge now and then. Keeps the springs from sticking, and my feet smell lemon fresh!
Old 09-05-23, 07:25 AM

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 291 Posts
How dare you sacrifice your drivetrain for safety!

I'm really curious how you started that habit in the first place.
I believe it's a leg strength issue. I think my legs are stronger in that direction.
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 09-05-23, 08:03 AM

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 504 Posts
I got used to using the right because I could put my foot on the curb at red lights without getting off the saddle. I later switched to my left for racing because I wanted to start with my dominant leg. I stopped racing and decided pulling into the gutter at red lights was probably increasing punctures, so I went random for a while. Then I started piloting a tandem for a blind rider who needed consistency, so I chose right. Now I'm back to random, but seem to favor right.
RE: I later switched to my left for racing because I wanted to start with my dominant leg.
This is my main reason for doing the same.
Likes For joesch:
Old 09-05-23, 08:27 AM

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 397 Posts
It depends...I can count the number of times I go through a stoplight, every year, on one hand. So most of the time, I don't even unclip at stop signs. If I do unclip, it's typically with the left, as I like to start out with my right leg. However, some of our intersections are on side hills, so I'll unclip with whatever foot is on the uphill side.

The final situation is stopping at gates on gravel and mtb rides. I like lifting the bike up and over the gate with the drive side away from me...so I'll unclip the right and step off from the left while still moving/turning to be parallel with the gate.
Old 09-05-23, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 873 Posts
Generally I unclip my left foot due to the crown of the road. I am fully ambidextrous on this topic though and will sometimes unclip my right foot if there's a curb or the road is really flat. This assumes I'm not getting off the bike, and am leaving the other foot clipped in.

If we want to talk about dismounting or remounting, swinging a leg over the saddle, for me it's non-drive-side only. I find it very difficult to get on a bike from the drive side. I have no order or preference on clipping in, but swinging my left leg over the saddle seems nearly impossible. I blame years of cyclocross and practicing dismounts/remounts on one side only.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-05-23, 09:33 AM
Grupetto Bob

Big ouch. Shin hits are o-so-painful.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-05-23, 09:38 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 457 Posts
Modern 'Clipless' is a cake walk compared to clipping into toe clips at the start of a Crit.
Some guys just started on the 'back' side of the pedal.
I made some alu 'extenders/tabs' which I screwed to the outside of rear plate of the pedal - allowed me to quickly 'toe' the pedal around and slide in; then took a few revolutions and tightened the strap when settled... The extender tab needed to be offset downward on back plate just enough to allow the shoe cleat to catch properly on the rear plate.
I still would practice a quick 'IN' to get it down, solid. Still, there were a few times when I fumbled... LOL!
Most of my bikes have eggbeaters variants now - about as auto as can be imagined. I do use SPD-SL on my top roadie, still quite nice entry...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 09-05-23, 09:38 AM

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Generally I unclip my left foot due to the crown of the road..
Same here, as much for road crown/slope as because when I start back using my clipped right foot I tend to lean left & the bike wants to turn right just a bit until I gain some momentum. Once I've got left pedal high it's easier to clip back in the proceed.

But if I have to put right down for some reason I'll do it. Good to be practiced doing both maneuvers, rather than habituate to one over the other.
Old 09-05-23, 09:49 AM
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by cyclezen
Modern 'Clipless' is a cake walk compared to clipping into toe clips at the start of a Crit.
Some guys just started on the 'back' side of the pedal.
I made some alu 'extenders/tabs' which I screwed to the outside of rear plate of the pedal - allowed me to quickly 'toe' the pedal around and slide in; then took a few revolutions and tightened the strap when settled... The extender tab needed to be offset downward on back plate just enough to allow the shoe cleat to catch properly on the rear plate.
I still would practice a quick 'IN' to get it down, solid. Still, there were a few times when I fumbled... LOL!
Most of my bikes have eggbeaters variants now - about as auto as can be imagined. I do use SPD-SL on my top roadie, still quite nice entry...
Ride On
Yuri
Oh you are so showing your age. I started with flats and then graduated to “rat traps” aka toe clips with straps. Feels like a million years ago I used those. Moved on to Deltas and then Shimano’s version of the Deltas. Your solution was ingenious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.